Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Alternatives when airline refuses to board due to passport's nationality.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives when airline refuses to board due to passport's nationality.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Thanks, GUWonder!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:07 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by relangford
Just wondering: how does a citizen of Crimea travel to/from the USA or UK? Russian passport? Ukraine passport? Stateless Person documents?
Both the US and UK recognize both Russia and Ukraine as legitimate countries, so I don't see any issue with either one. I imagine that most people living in Crimea would still have a Ukrainian passport, although Russia may have started issuing its own passports to them as well. Since Crimea is now functionally under Russia's control, Russia will probably issue its own passports to everyone eventually, although I don't see what Russia could do about it if a Crimean entered the UK on a Ukrainian passport. If flying to Russia or on a Russian carrier, there may be further complications as GUWonder noted, but I don't know if Russia has any way of determining whether the holder of a Ukrainian passport lives (or lived) in Crimea.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It would be an interesting test for a dual-citizen to be denied using an Israeli passport, than show (e.g.) a US passport. If they know he's Israeli but he has a passport they recognize, will they take him?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sethb
It would be an interesting test for a dual-citizen to be denied using an Israeli passport, than show (e.g.) a US passport. If they know he's Israeli but he has a passport they recognize, will they take him?
Yes, they do.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Is that from experience?
I personally know Jews who have travelled to Kuwait on Kuwaiti air on US passports. The issue isn't the religion or race. The issue is holding a valid passport.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I personally know Jews who have travelled to Kuwait on Kuwaiti air on US passports. The issue isn't the religion or race. The issue is holding a valid passport.
Well - a little more complex than that. The issue is that the passport is not recognized by Kuwait. The passport was valid for exit as far as the departing country was concerned and valid as far as entry of the receiving country, and indeed most countries in the world, including the issuing party. From what I can tell, less than 20 countries do not accept Israeli passports and even some of those will accept them under certain conditions.

It isn't like the passport was forged or out-of-date.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
That wasn't the question. The question was whether Kuwaiti Air would accept a passenger who initially showed an Israeli passport, then provided another one (e.g. US) when the first was rejected.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:51 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

In the past several days, this thread has had an increasing number of off-topic discussions ranging deeply into religion, semantics, even back to medieval world history. Those off-topic posts have been deleted.

The OMNI/PR forum is open to tenured FTers who wish to discuss politics, religion and the policies of foreign relations on an ideological basis. In this TravelBuzz thread, let's focus on the practical problems and issues of when a country or an airline chooses to not board or admit a passenger based on the passport presented, as that's what caused the OP to start the thread. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:21 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
those posts were essential as to understanding Kuwait Air policies. surely, you cant be blind to that.

in any case, why delete those posts -- if anything, you could've split em off into another thread and/or moved em to OMNI. even though I do believe they are an essential part of the discussion in this thread.

Last edited by FTR 787; Oct 6, 2014 at 9:18 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

That wasn't the question. The question was whether Kuwaiti Air would accept a passenger who initially showed an Israeli passport, then provided another one (e.g. US) when the first was rejected.
I don't think anyone would want to try it, but my guess is that it would not be a problem. At places like JFK, the KU check-in agent is probably a local hire, perhaps hired by a contractor. If the passenger presents another passport and the computer accepts it and spits out a boarding pass, I doubt the employee would care.

The fact that KU was willing to rebook OP on an alternate airline indicates that they are trying to help and not attempting to make a political point.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:40 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And the Emir's immediate family knows me well. Neither of these facts convinces me that you know the answer to my question.
GUWonder - what do you inhale? I want it! I want to be just as arrogantly ignorant and spaced out of this world.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:46 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Through dozens of pages on this thread I must have missed the message about the most obvious culprit: CODE SHARE is tantamount to cheating.
One who introduced this obfuscation and those who believed that it was good idea to lie to millions of passengers in that fashion, confuse them, and make their travel more difficult, force them to run between terminals and occupy airport displays with dozens of flights pretending to be different should all be shot.
Let the airline use whatever system they want internally - inside their computers - I must have the real flight number because in the end that is the number that matters!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by m44
GUWonder - what do you inhale? I want it! I want to be just as arrogantly ignorant and spaced out of this world.
Fresh air and only natural air. Can't help you with arrogance and ignorance levels.

Originally Posted by m44
Through dozens of pages on this thread I must have missed the message about the most obvious culprit: CODE SHARE is tantamount to cheating.
One who introduced this obfuscation and those who believed that it was good idea to lie to millions of passengers in that fashion, confuse them, and make their travel more difficult, force them to run between terminals and occupy airport displays with dozens of flights pretending to be different should all be shot.
Let the airline use whatever system they want internally - inside their computers - I must have the real flight number because in the end that is the number that matters!
It doesn't take genius to read a display screen when the screen shows codeshare info.

It does take some arrogance to try to mandate that airlines entirely stop using codeshares when it has been a core part of the industry practice for decades.

The government -- ultimate arrogant actor of all, one that tends to be amongst the relatively less ignorant -- has approved of code sharing practices and it won't change anytime soon on this.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
I see the armchair lawyers are out again on this one. Wasn't clear to me from the thread whether the OP actually tried to check-in for the LHR-JFK sector or went with the Priceline AA alternative. If she was denied boarding at LHR, she should make a complaint to the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which costs nothing. The basis being as set out by Scots_Al in post #22.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/y...ort-and-travel
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mgiarc
I see the armchair lawyers are out again on this one. Wasn't clear to me from the thread whether the OP actually tried to check-in for the LHR-JFK sector or went with the Priceline AA alternative. If she was denied boarding at LHR, she should make a complaint to the Equality and Human Rights Commission, which costs nothing. The basis being as set out by Scots_Al in post #22.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/y...ort-and-travel
It was JFK-LHR not the other way around. Therefore the event happened in the US, not UK.

And there is nothing in the link you provided that says any nation must recognize the legal status of any other nation nor of the legality of the travel documentation it provides its citizens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.