Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by chollie
Beat me to it! Yes, cumbersome, expensive visa laws are a serious deterrent, particularly ones that want an upfront plane ticket as part of the application (hello? Who buys fully refundable tickets? Or wants to go through the hassle of buying one and then cashing it in and buying a cheaper one if and when the visa is granted?)

Also visas that take weeks to acquire (Algeria!). I don't like having my passport tied up for that long.
+1 . Zambia seems to take quite some time with Indian passports
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
A lot of people refuse to transfer in the USA because of the certainty of being molested or at least peeped at by the TSA.

Add to that CSBA idiocy, and the USA should most certainly top any avioid in transit lists.
Not sure how Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA?) fits into this?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

One that hasn't been mentioned here is Bali. Despite its popularity with us Aussies, I don't want to go there because of its drug laws, corruption, risk of terrorism, drink spiking, etc. I'm sure this is somewhat irrational but the press does give it a lawless feel.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Last I checked, Botswana and South Africa was not suffering from hyper-inflation, their population was not being starved to death because of land grabbing, elections aren't being stolen and members of the opposition is not being tortured and killed.
Last I checked, Botswana and South Africa were not the only countries nearby to Zimbabwe.
Try Zambia; Mozambique ;Malawi .

Google is not your friend - perhaps it would be more appropriate to avoid or boycott them than some poor repressed country.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by theassassin
One that hasn't been mentioned here is Bali. Despite its popularity with us Aussies, I don't want to go there because of its drug laws, corruption, risk of terrorism, drink spiking, etc. I'm sure this is somewhat irrational but the press does give it a lawless feel.
Really. I never understand the logic behind worshiping countries that systematically ill-treat origin specific visitors.
Whatever overcharging for visas, gimmick fees, imprisoning them under inhuman conditions and several other amenities.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
countries that systematically ill-treat origin specific visitors. Whatever overcharging for visas, gimmick fees, imprisoning them under inhuman conditions and several other amenities.
The problem here is I cannot think of a single country that doesn't engage in at least one of these to one degree or another - I guess perhaps some of the Nordics?

Last edited by gglave; Jul 4, 2013 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I'm the last who could accept the decision to skip any country, since I'm trying to visit as many (maybe all) as I can.
But I have no doubt to kick further into the future those which gladly let heads rolling, stoning women, impose death penalty for girls "guilty" of dancing in the rain or congregate to "enjoy" the hanging of homosexuals.
I know, I risk to skip a solid bunch of the 194, but naively the hope that with the time things will change leans better with these principles.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Germany. Because of hitler
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:01 am

England, because they still revere the mass-murderer Henry VIII.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by lovely15
Japan - for the fingerprinting (so why do I keep going?).
USA - for the fingerprinting (so why do I keep going?)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I would try to avoid any country that abides by Sharia Law, because with my lack of awareness, I'd spit gum out while jaywalking and have some serious issues.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:47 am

any country that abides by Sharia Law, because with my lack of awareness, I'd spit gum out while jaywalking
As long as you weren't chewing the gum in daylight during Ramadan ...

Seriously, it seems that a lot of us already live in countries that others won't visit , or at least theoretically avoid, due to their feelings.
What are our feelings about that? Should we refuse to return until it changes?
My feelings are that I don't feel it's worth a boycott.

Did you know I get fingerprinted every time I return to the UK?
I'm feeling like I should boycott the UK in protest but I'm also feeling my wife might be calling and asking why I'm still sitting drinking beer in a Munich beer garden when I promised I'd be home to do our own garden at the weekend.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Oregon. I am perfectly capable of pumping my own gas
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ballogie
Oregon. I am perfectly capable of pumping my own gas
Then don't go to New Jersey either.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 4:12 am

in laws

Originally Posted by JMN57
Geez - I had noticed this thread and thought it an odd one as I'd somehow read it as "will you not visit/transit a place because in laws"

My brain finally kicked in and read it correctly.
Funny you should say that... my husband thinks the $14 Homeland Security wants is too much to pay to visit his mother-in-law...! ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.