Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Eh, sorry - your religion as a cause for scrutiny doesn't ring true to me. I know lots of non-Jews who have gone to Israel as tourists, and who have even lived there, and they weren't "harrassed" (whatever that means, exactly - can you provide details?) for not being Jewish.
During the unpleasant 3 hour interrogation on arrival I was asked what my religion was twice. This to me is harassment enough.

I take it you havent been to TLV secondary interrogation, so please dont tell how/if/why I was harassed and treated like a criminal.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zcat18
And yes, just like passport stamps, religion also is only one factor of many that is considered, or not, depending on a number of others both known and classified. Also, everyone has a different tolerance for security, immigration rigamarole, etc., so what might be acceptable to one traveler could be completely insufferable for another and cause him/her not to return to a place. Simply being non-Jewish will not, on its own, cause someone to be sent to secondary at TLV. That said, I've heard mixed things on this from non-Jews who have had issues, and I do get the sense that the combination of being Jewish and American generally places you in a low-risk "fast-track" bucket.
oh no, now youre gonna be labeled anti-Israel for telling how it really is

Very amusing people defending the harassment that goes on in TLV who have never been thru it themselves ...

And like you say, I have no problem with how Israel handles their security, and with unwanted stamps in passport, and a 10-day vacation trip that noone forced us to go on, I knew I was setting myself up for scrutiny and perhaps even secondary. This doesnt take away from the fact, that harassment in TLV does happen, and it would be #1 on my do-not-transit list (topic of this thread)

And as for history, review mine and PTravel's post history, and see who is biased I especially recommend the thread about the girl who was told to cover up at the airport by Southwest, and his anti-islam rants in there I do not post in OMNI, but again, I urge you to check out the above poster's history there.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jun 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
oh no, now youre gonna be labeled anti-Israel for telling how it really is
No, you're going to be labeled anti-Israel because you're anti-Israel. It's easy to search OMNI/PR for your posts -- everyone can decide for themselves.

Very amusing people defending the harassment that goes on in TLV who have never been thru it themselves ...
First you claimed you were harassed because of your religion. Then you admitted that you weren't asked about your religion until you were already in secondary. Which is it?

And as for history, review mine and PTravel's post history, and see who is biased I especially recommend the thread about the girl who was told to cover up at the airport by Southwest, and his anti-islam rants in there
That's a flat-out lie on your part. I have never, not once, made an "anti-Islam rant," either here or anywhere else. Quite the contrary, my posting history is there for everyone to see: I have been a very vocal defender of Muslims, and always call out those who try to tar all of Islam with the terrorist brush based on the actions of a fanatic, extremist few.

I do not post in OMNI, but again, I urge you to check out the above poster's history there.
You most certainly do post in OMNI. Here are two of the anti-Israel posts of yours to which I referred:

I dont know if its been posted already in this massive thread but:

American, 19, Among Gaza Flotilla Dead

The victim was identified as Furkan Dogan, 19, a Turkish-American. A forensic report said he was shot at close range, with four bullets in his head and one in his chest, according to the Anatolian news agency.

This is premeditated MURDER of an American citizen by a foreign gang of thugs, yet noone cares because its Israel.
I am actually shocked ABC news was allowed to publish the story.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14083669-post1531.html

I wonder what you meant about ABC News being "allowed" to publish the story? I can certainly guess.

Originally Posted by by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
It will be interesting to see if the latest blunder is enough for public opinion to demand that their democratically elected Western governments stop cowtowing to the Israeli lobby and actually start to enforce international law...
NOT A CHANCE.

The US alone has given $134,791,507,200 to Israel (and thats only until 1997!)

I still think that this is all a build up to an Israeli attack on Iran. They will claim self defense and the world will not blink.
Every time an "intelligence" report comes out about Iran's nukes, threat to Israel, destabilizing Iraq, training "terrorists", etc, etc, etc, the Israelis are loading their guns in happy anticipation.....

I dont think there has been a greater threat to world peace than Israel since the USSR went bust.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14053755-post342.html

Now, perhaps, you can climb down off your soap box and the rest of us can get back to an otherwise-interesting discussion.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
No, you're going to be labeled anti-Israel because you're anti-Israel.

First you claimed you were harassed because of your religion. Then you admitted that you weren't asked about your religion until you were already in secondary. Which is it?

Now, perhaps, you can climb down off your soap box and the rest of us can get back to an otherwise-interesting discussion.
1. and yet we chose to go there on vacation, weird.
2. being asked one's religion at an outset of an interrogation and being held for 3 hours following that, yes, I classify that as cause and effect

glad you found my only 2 OMNI posts from 3+ years ago.... I am glad that attack on Iran didnt happen, because I quite enjoyed visiting there, as I did Israel - after the initial 'scrutiny' we had a great time.

Unlike you, I dont have a horse in this race, I am only reporting my experiences while visiting the country, you on the other hand will not accept any criticism of Israel (see thread below)

and one only has to go thru your pro-Israeli bias posts to realize you will never admit that people are harassed at TLV.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...l#post20967697
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...er-outfit.html "No woman EVER "asks for it," solely because of how she dresses in public, notwithstanding the views of fundamentalist Islamic societies."

I wish you one day have to go thru somewhere what I went thru in TLV, then maybe you will climb down your soap-box and admit its not the best transit airport

Last edited by rankourabu; Jun 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by zcat18
That's a shame. I stay away from Omni/PR so was not aware of a history of anti-Israel bias on the part of that poster.
[Unduly personalized remarks deleted by Moderator.]

Having been to Israel a few times I can confirm that secondary inspections - which I have had the "pleasure" to experience - definitely are no fun, but I wouldn´t call them harrassment. Israel has decided to implement a very sophisticated security system that includes evaluating the risk level of each indiviual passenger - and so far it has worked great.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 27, 2013 at 12:52 pm Reason: Per FT Rules
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
.. Israel has decided to implement a very sophisticated security system that includes evaluating the risk level of each indiviual passenger - and so far it has worked great.
I'll definitely agree with you there - if one has something to hide - there is no way of getting past them. They are VERY good at what they do.

If you have nothing to hide, its actually a very interesting learning experience once you step back and relax and let them go thru the motions.

which goes back to - its not a transit airport
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:35 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
didn't intend this to go so in depth and possibly heated with disagreements. Maybe we can keep it friendly and to the original question? New thoughts, any others?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
didn't intend this to go so in depth and possibly heated with disagreements. Maybe we can keep it friendly and to the original question? New thoughts, any others?
Personally I avoid travel to any country that doesn´t recognize Israel (many - but not all - of these countries have policies/laws which prohibit anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport to enter the country, so I´m inadmissable anyways).

I also can´t get too excited about most countries that used to comprise the Soviet Union (though that doesn´t mean I wouldn´t visit a few of them) due to the lack of separation of powers.

Maybe I´ll become slightly less conservative once I´ve visited the 100+ countries I actually do want to visit.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jun 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I'll definitely agree with you there - if one has something to hide - there is no way of getting past them. They are VERY good at what they do.
People and things do get past them despite their efforts.

That's a flat-out lie on your part.
I was likely to agree with the above sentence, but then earlier this month I read something -- to which I provided a response that has since been moved to who knows where -- that has me now questioning the above characterization.

People have different reasons to want to travel or avoid travel to/via a place, and some of that has to do with how authorities deal with passengers. I try to minimize travel via the UK since I don't like dealing with the additional security nonsense more than I otherwise have to do. I prefer minimizing transiting the US because I don't fancy dealing more with DHS/TSA and CBP more than minimally necessary while meeting my other interests. I certainly wouldn't suggest that TLV transits are ideal for all, and I have done some.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was likely to agree with the above sentence, but then earlier this month I read something -- to which I provided a response that has since been moved to who knows where -- that has me now questioning the above characterization.
I don't know to what you're referring, so I really can't respond except in the most general sense. It's no secret that I disapprove of all organized religions because they supplant inherent and instinctive understanding of genetically-transmitted universal values with external, arbitrary and often-illogical external moralities. In that regard, I fault Islam along with every other organized religion. I also believe that, on the whole, religious fundamentalism tends to be dangerous. However, again, my belief applies to all religious belief and not solely to fundamentalist (and, perhaps, "extremist" is a better term) Islam. Other than that, I haven't the slightest idea to what you're referring.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:24 am

It's no secret that I disapprove of all organized religions because they supplant inherent and instinctive understanding of genetically-transmitted universal values with external, arbitrary and often-illogical external moralities.
ROTFL!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:43 am

um just because you do not agree with someone's personal reasons for not travelling to a particular place does not mean that you have to personally attack the person.

It seems to me that there are a few common reasons for why one would not want to travel to a particular location:
1. religion
2. politics
3. restrictive or overly cumbersome customs and immigration laws, regulations, and procedures
4. medical
5. legal
6. your home country's government has put restrictions on its citizens travelling to place X, although that probably falls within the legal category.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
It's no secret that I disapprove of all organized religions because they supplant inherent and instinctive understanding of genetically-transmitted universal values with external, arbitrary and often-illogical external moralities.
Good morning, Dr. Sheldon Cooper.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Geez - I had noticed this thread and thought it an odd one as I'd somehow read it as "will you not visit/transit a place because in laws"

My brain finally kicked in and read it correctly.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Your version makes more sense though! (God bless my elderly MiL, I hasten to add, and may she live a long and prosperous life)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.