Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
Well, I agree there, but refusing to travel because of it isn't exactly striking a blow for freedom.
You may have misunderstood.

I do travel, but not to/thru the UK because of the no opt out rule. That's my way of protecting my freedom to choose whether or not I get irradiated by their "security" machines.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by amcam
My fiance doesn't want to travel to any countries where being LGBT is illegal, since he'd rather avoid having us go to prison. I'm a little more flexible, since there are shades of grey — Morocco would be fine (since they have sort of a don't ask, don't tell attitude and there are ample rumors that the king himself is gay), while Iran or Uganda would be ...less fine.
Yeah, I pretty much follow this principle as well. If you don't want me in your country, I certainly don't want to spend my money in your country.

I also don't go to countries with oppressive, undemocratic governments. I realize this is sort of a vague principle whose elements are open to various interpretation, but I guess it's sort of an I-know-it-when-I-see-it situation. To be honest, the only places I actually want to go to that run afoul of this prescription are Cuba and Uzbekistan - so those are sadly off my travel list for now.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
I won't travel to or through Argentina because of the First Temporary Provision of its Constitution and what it stands for:

"First.- The Argentine Nation ratifies its legitimate and non-prescribing sovereignty over the Malvinas (sic), Georgias del Sur and Sandwich del Sur Islands and over the corresponding maritime and insular zones, as they are an integral part of the National territory.

The recovery of said territories and the full exercise of sovereignty, respectful of the way of life of their inhabitants and according to the principles of international law, are a permanent and unrelinquished goal of the Argentine people."

Last edited by rmb.flk; Jun 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm Reason: Correcting typo
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:10 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not big on visas that are hard to get or cost more than a pass to Disneyland. Or anti-gay regimes, Muslim or otherwise.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by scubadiver
Peoples Republic of Maryland. My carry permit is valid in most states, but not MD. I won't even stop for gas in that state.
I generally avoid NY, NJ, CA, IL, . for similar reasons. I do occasionally admit to running down to MD for various things, but then again, I live fairly close to MD.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Yeah, I pretty much follow this principle as well. If you don't want me in your country, I certainly don't want to spend my money in your country.
^ Same here.
Due to their victorian or stoneage legislation there are many Caribbean Islands I would love to visit but won't. Russia is on that no-go list as well, as they are moving backwards in time in regards to LGBT rights at present.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by invisible
You should include Japan, Malaysia and bunch of other countries in that list...
I do. Korea and Argentina have been added.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by StefanInVienna
^ Same here.
Due to their victorian or stoneage legislation there are many Caribbean Islands I would love to visit but won't. Russia is on that no-go list as well, as they are moving backwards in time in regards to LGBT rights at present.
My fiance, his brother, his sister-in-law, and I are planning a trip to Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia spanning late July and early August. The brother and sister-in-law were considering having all of us visit St. Petersburg as well, until the Duma unanimously passed a law banning "gay propaganda." So much for that. I'm hoping, probably in vain, that they (and Qatar) can get their crap together before they host the World Cup, since I'd love to go at some point and would hate to have that option foreclosed for over a decade because of oppressive cultures.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Spiff
I do. Korea and Argentina have been added.
In several years you might end up living in mountains of Montana.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
In several years you might end up living in mountains of Montana.
Nah.

Most countries do not treat guests like criminals; only a few stupid ones do. I'd gladly spend my money in countries that welcome me, do not interrogate me on departure (Israel), and do not require nudeoscope (UK, Australia, Russia).
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Nah.

Most countries do not treat guests like criminals; only a few stupid ones do. I'd gladly spend my money in countries that welcome me, do not interrogate me on departure (Israel), and do not require nudeoscope (UK, Australia, Russia).
Remind me again which countries insist on fingerprinting their visitors before granting them the privilege of entry? Not just randomly, but all guests.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Remind me again which countries insist on fingerprinting their visitors before granting them the privilege of entry? Not just randomly, but all guests.
US, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Argentina, ... ?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
US, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Argentina, ... ?
Stupid countries then. Unless any of them are only acting in retaliation - I don't recall beeing fingerprinted last time I entered Malaysia, for example, but I'm less concerned about them than at least one of the others mentioned.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Stupid countries then. Unless any of them are only acting in retaliation - I don't recall beeing fingerprinted last time I entered Malaysia, for example, but I'm less concerned about them than at least one of the others mentioned.
Not retaliation like Brazil's little folly several years ago (now stopped).

Malaysia is the newest member of this disgraceful club. It happened in the last couple of years, I believe. I'm glad I had a chance to see KUL before this crap went down.

Japan and Korea are just aping the USA. Argentina claims it's for easier customs processing, but the reasoning is irrelevant to me. I'm happy spending my money in her sensible next-door neighbor, Chile.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well, if less people want go to the places I also want to go while not bothering about fingerprinting or other stuff - better for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.