Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:29 am

Most of the places that I'd hesitate to visit tend to be quite expensive to reach so it's never really been an issue for me. I'm sure if the right fare popped up my mind would change pretty quickly, though. (Excluding that Mogadishu fare that popped up last year )
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by horsewithnoname
So I guess if one has multiple passports, one of which does not allow visa-free travel to the UK, one can just show them that one, and hope they don't find the other?
Yes if in transit. At least in theory. The above policy is based on a conversation another FlyerTalker reported having with a security clerk at LHR. We have no way of verifying it. A freedom of information request which was lodged requesting the full NoS policy in the UK was denied in part on the grounds that the information might tend to prejudice national security, and that particular policy was in the redacted part.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:06 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by crabbing
arizona.

after "papers please" passed, i have refused to go, and warned the foreign-born half of my family (who are US citizens) not to go. i do my best not to have any connection with the state.
Sorry for this but what's 'papers please'?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by kiam
Sorry for this but what's 'papers please'?
a few years back, arizona passed a law requiring police to check the immigration status of anyone they stopped. the main concerns were racial profiling and intimidation of minorities (non-whites). "papers please" is a reference to the requirement in nazi germany to carry identification at all times.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:33 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
No. Will go everywhere.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by mandolino
What happens there that doesn't happen in other countries nearby?
Would you go to South Sudan (independent since July 2011)?

Not picking on you but I find some of these personal vetoes baffling.
I think the corruption and persecution in Zimbabwe is more rampant than in other surrounding countries and I don't believe giving any form of tourist money to Mugabe is a good thing (we'll see how the next elections pan out).

Sudan - with a government that used state sponsored militias, who routinely raped and terrorised the population in what was classed as crimes against humanity, I don't see any need to go there and give them my tourist money. I do think that what the Sudanese government was on a scale beyond that of its neighbours - afterall their President was indicted in the ICC for crimes against humanity. Or in one word - Darfur?

I may go to Southern Sudan now - but I'll wait to see how that pans out.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by zcat18
-Will not visit Aruba on principle after they let that Van der Sloot monster walk.
+1
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
There is no place I will not go to strictly on "moral principles." There are places I avoid when there is the potential their laws may directly effect me.

For example, I try to avoid places where state authorities have a history of arbitrarily detaining my countrymen while they were transiting through their jurisdiction and then shipping them off to another country to be tortured.

But sometimes I have to. Transiting through the U.S.A. is occasionally unavoidable.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
after all their President was indicted in the ICC for crimes against humanity.
As was the current president of Kenya - and leaders on all sides in the Darfur conflict.
I think the corruption and persecution in Zimbabwe is more rampant than in other surrounding countries
On the Corruption Index, the difference between Zimbabwe and , say, Zambia or Mozambique is about the same as that between USA and Canada. And let's not even mention the difference between USA and Mexico, or even Italy and Switzerland.

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere but the measures you give seem pretty arbitrary.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Yes, they are arbitrary, they are based on feelings. But that's how I feel about those countries and so I avoid them. That is a valid reason for not going to them.

I'd be avoiding Kenya too, but sometimes you need to hub through NBO to get to east Africa, so I can't rule it out entirely. I've still never spent a night in it.

And it's the whole package of issues in Zimbabwe - a country where the government has failed beyond belief.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Yes, they are arbitrary, they are based on feelings. But that's how I feel about those countries and so I avoid them. That is a valid reason for not going to them.
Fair enough. It's not like you're demanding that others share your feelings.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Japan - for the fingerprinting (so why do I keep going?)
UK - draconian airport security (successful at avoiding this one)
Saudi Arabia, etc - because they treat my kind like property
Any backscatter airport - although those are going away

Although like someone else pointed out, if I really thought about it, I'd be living in a cave.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
It is precisely because these things are based on feelings (ultimately) that this has been such an interesting thread!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Interesting no one lists China for their human rights violations (and hefty visa fees)...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
What happens there that doesn't happen in other countries nearby?
Would you go to South Sudan (independent since July 2011)?

Not picking on you but I find some of these personal vetoes baffling.
Really? Google is your friend. Last I checked, Botswana and South Africa was not suffering from hyper-inflation, their population was not being starved to death because of land grabbing, elections aren't being stolen and members of the opposition is not being tortured and killed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.