FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1478997-will-you-not-visit-transit-place-because-its-laws.html)

TA Jun 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Just wondering if anyone takes a very strong stand on this. Example things / reasons that come to my mind can range among:

-- Reports of Middle East countries detaining people for things they were unaware of, preventing departure of "indentured servants", lack of due process. (example in the extreme: the "1 poppyseed" story)

-- Disagreeing with a country's law on same sex marriage or relations

-- Florida's stand your ground law that you might get mistakenly shot under

-- A country economically or politically oppressing a group of people

I'm sure that any person might have a list of countries they are less interested in, because of things like this. I'm curious, does anyone here more actively avoid, or refuse to be sent for business to any such place because of reasons like this?

Just curious to know whether people do this, and how they think through it.

(I myself, in more FT fashion, only ever swore to myself that I'd never transit through the UK again because of the incredible ticket taxes starting when I was a student, but had to give that one up pretty quickly for business reasons).

Gamecock Jun 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Sounds to me that you just may want to stay home.

Seriously, if you dig hard enough you can find some issue with most any location.

scubadiver Jun 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Maryland

Peoples Republic of Maryland. My carry permit is valid in most states, but not MD. I won't even stop for gas in that state.

rankourabu Jun 24, 2013 2:59 pm

A lot of people refuse to transfer in the USA because of the certainty of being molested or at least peeped at by the TSA.

Add to that CSBA idiocy, and the USA should most certainly top any avioid in transit lists.

peachfront Jun 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Expensive or cumbersome visa laws usually convince me to give a country a pass. There are too many other countries that actually want visitors to waste my time with those that don't.

Spiff Jun 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Any country that treats guests like criminals (fingerprinting) or denies air travel to those unwilling to enter the nudeoscope is on my personal no-fly list. I'd avoid the USA if I could; unfortunately I currently cannot.

CDTraveler Jun 24, 2013 3:29 pm

As long as the UK has its "no opt out" rule we won't be spending our vacation dollars there.

There are other countries that I would like to visit, but because of their current state of (relative) lawlessness I won't.

celle Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

It's a personal choice, of course. However, refusing to travel to, or transit through, a particular country is not going to change a thing in that country.

chollie Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront (Post 20981682)
Expensive or cumbersome visa laws usually convince me to give a country a pass. There are too many other countries that actually want visitors to waste my time with those that don't.

Beat me to it! Yes, cumbersome, expensive visa laws are a serious deterrent, particularly ones that want an upfront plane ticket as part of the application (hello? Who buys fully refundable tickets? Or wants to go through the hassle of buying one and then cashing it in and buying a cheaper one if and when the visa is granted?)

Also visas that take weeks to acquire (Algeria!). I don't like having my passport tied up for that long.

PTravel Jun 24, 2013 5:37 pm

I will not visit Saudi Arabia because of its state policy of anti-semitism. I will not visit Dubai because I have prescription medication that would get me arrested there. Otherwise, I can't really think of any other place that I wouldn't visit.

mandolino Jun 24, 2013 5:41 pm

What's the UK's "no opt out" rule?

CDTraveler Jun 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino (Post 20982564)
What's the UK's "no opt out" rule?

If you are ordered to go through a whole body scanner (Nude-o-Scope), you are not allowed to opt out, as you can elsewhere.

chollie Jun 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 20982553)
I will not visit Saudi Arabia because of its state policy of anti-semitism. I will not visit Dubai because I have prescription medication that would get me arrested there. Otherwise, I can't really think of any other place that I wouldn't visit.

?? What meds in Dubai (if you don't mind)?

I was shocked when I went to Japan and learned (while I was there) that the Sudafed I had with me was illegal.

rankourabu Jun 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront (Post 20981682)

You've obviously never had to acquire a US visa :p

One of the very few countries in the world (Canada is another actually) - that just transiting and not leaving the airport requires an expensive visa.

PTravel Jun 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 20982618)
?? What meds in Dubai (if you don't mind)?

Percodan for migraines.

I was shocked when I went to Japan and learned (while I was there) that the Sudafed I had with me was illegal.
I didn't know that. Interesting.

We should probably start a stickied thread: "Prescriptions that are legal at home but not in another country."