Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you *not* visit or transit a place because of its laws?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
f you are ordered to go through a whole body scanner (Nude-o-Scope), you are not allowed to opt out, as you can elsewhere
Oh. I've never seen one in the UK. I've been through them in Moscow. I don't think they allow opt out, not that it bothers me apart from the hassle of taking my shoes off and putting sock covers on.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:41 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you are ordered to go through a whole body scanner (Nude-o-Scope), you are not allowed to opt out, as you can elsewhere.
What issue do you find with these -- is it the nudity, or radiation?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Spiff
Any country that treats guests like criminals (fingerprinting) is on my personal no-fly list.
You should include Japan, Malaysia and bunch of other countries in that list...

Originally Posted by PTravel
Percodan for migraines.
If wiki is right, it is Schedule II drug which might get a person into serious trouble for having it without doctor's prescription even in US...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
If wiki is right, it is Schedule II drug which might get a person into serious trouble for having it without doctor's prescription even in US...
It is, indeed, Schedule II and possession without a doctor's prescription is not legal (it's "triple script" in the US). However, my understanding is that, in Dubai, even with a prescription it's illegal. As it's the only medication that I can take for migraine (I can't take any of the triptans because they interact with other medication that I must take), I will not travel without it -- a bad migraine will completely incapacitate me, sometimes for days.

BTW, ^ to chollie for starting a thread on medications that are legal at home but not in some other countries.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:23 pm

My fiance doesn't want to travel to any countries where being LGBT is illegal, since he'd rather avoid having us go to prison. I'm a little more flexible, since there are shades of grey — Morocco would be fine (since they have sort of a don't ask, don't tell attitude and there are ample rumors that the king himself is gay), while Iran or Uganda would be ...less fine.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd skip basically the whole middle east.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by TA
What issue do you find with these -- is it the nudity, or radiation?
Radiation - I've already had cancer once, not in a hurry to mutate any more of my cells.

Coercion - forcing me into a situation I, and quite a few physicists and physicians, consider to be dangerous, simply because I wish to travel.

Dishonesty - the Nude-o-Scope is a pretend answer to find the last terrorist attack, not the next one.

Indoctrination - "anything for security" is one of the greatest threats to our liberty ever dreamed up.

The so-called "nudity" is the least of my concerns with those machines and the ways they are used.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:11 am

doctrination - "anything for security" is one of the greatest threats to our liberty ever dreamed up
Well, I agree there, but refusing to travel because of it isn't exactly striking a blow for freedom.
I live in a granite house in a granite city so am not too fussed by low level radiation.
I've worked in both Syria ( police state) and Israel ( which some people have condemned me for) .
I get fingerprinted every time I re-enter the UK with my biometric residency card.
Perhaps I'm a morally compromised sheeple, perhaps not.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: DL,EK
Israel - I don't need a three hour interrogation. My passport contains stamps and visas from Iran, Sudan, Yemen and various other Middle Eastern countries. I am sure Israel would give me a hard time.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
One of the very few countries in the world (Canada is another actually) - that just transiting and not leaving the airport requires an expensive visa.
Not true. A transit visa for Canada (valid for less then 48 hours stay) is actually issued free of charge to eligible persons.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Israel because of the illegal settlements in the West Bank and annexation of various territories.

China because of its human rights record, its treatment of ethnic minorities and treatment of Tibet. I exempt Hong Kong from this.

Saudi Arabia because of its treatment of women.

Burma, until recently, but still not sure about that one.

Of course, these are just the egregious ones--if one looks too deeply into the records of many countries, there wouldn't be many places left to go. So you have to draw a line somewhere, or I do.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Israel - I don't need a three hour interrogation. My passport contains stamps and visas from Iran, Sudan, Yemen and various other Middle Eastern countries. I am sure Israel would give me a hard time.
Good point. You'd have to pay me huge money to go back there for any reason including transit.

Ironically, they didnt care about Iran. Lebanon and Bahrain on the other hand was apparently the cause for a 3+ hour detention on arrival. Not fun after a 11 hour flight in Y.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:34 am

I'm one of those that avoid the US for transit (because a "transit" as the rest of the world knows it simply doesn't exist there - and you can add the TSA as an extra reason to that).
And the UK is on my "no transit" (actually "no flight") list because of the "no opt-out" rule.

On the other hand, I have visited some pretty weird places for professional reasons. But if there is some money to be made I become astonishingly flexible in my principles...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:04 am

I've got several middle East stamps in my passport and have never been "interrogated" at TLV apart from the polite security interview at LHR before check-in, and a similar quiz in the line at TLV when departing there. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it hasn't affected me enough to want to avoid the place.

Can somebody tell me where they've seen these "nudie" scanners in the UK? Sure I wander around half asleep most of the time and I could easily have missed them.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:44 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Exclamation

I won't ever transit at any GCC country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.