Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 1:31 am

Nice story, OP! Made me laugh.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Currently sitting in the B concourse UA club and realized I forgot to pack my underwear

I have a flight to LCH in an hour and will have to find a Target to get some before I head out to dinner with a customer.

I'm an idiot.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by enviroian
Currently sitting in the B concourse UA club and realized I forgot to pack my underwear

I have a flight to LCH in an hour and will have to find a Target to get some before I head out to dinner with a customer.

I'm an idiot.
Don't feel too bad. On various trips I have forgotten underwear, socks, belt, or pajamas.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

After a tiring redeye TATL flight, I missed using the lav on board. By the time I got out of luggage claim, I was in at least minor distress. I looked around for the restroom sign and found it pointing in one direction.

Running that way, all I find is the doors out of the airport. Almost dancing by that time, I asked around for someone who spoke English, complaining that the "restroom" sign was pointing me the wrong way.

"Sorry, sir, but that is the Exit sign....!"
Old May 26, 2015, 11:25 pm

Toilet Troubles

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
But they all giggled instead of glared !
Happened to my colleague in Dubai. They giggled at first, until one of them told him he better get out as a conductor was coming down the aisle. He still laughed, saying he was just fine right there, until he was taken to the police station and fined ~30 USD.

Although this probably happened to many people not traveling: Just came off a flight from HKG and went straight to the single stall men's room at the HSBC lounge in IST. As everyone knows who flies TK long haul regularly, you never leave one of their planes hungry. As I was freshening up by the sink, getting ready to conduct my business, I noticed the toilet bowl had been left behind in an abysmal state by my predecessor. Hoping the first flush would wash away the remains stuck on the bowl - they didn't. With no toilet brush in sight, I decided to take my business someplace else and left the bathroom - only to find cleaning staff waiting on the other side of the door. When she entered, her cursing in Turkish let me know she wasn't happy with what she thought must have been my deed. Saw her on my return leg, I am certain she remembered my face as well.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

I'm an idiot.
I went away with BF and he forgot his WHOLE bag!!! We spent a day doing things and then went back to the hotel and he thought he'd get his bag out of the car and realised he left it at home.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Two more from me.

I was on the ORD-LAX leg in F of a ORD-LAX-NRT journey and changing to SQ at LAX so needed to get to the intl terminal. Sitting next to a gentleman who had 1, 2, 3 bloody Mary's, and then ordered the 4th. When it arrived, he managed to dump the whole thing right in my, um, can you say crotch on FT? I was soaked, and I was wearing khaki's, so the spot was very obvious. I managed to get some of it out in the bathroom in the SQ lounge but still smelled like Vodka and Tomato Juice all the way during my LAX-NRT flight, where I was able to get another pair out of my checked bag, but only after going through Immigration and Customs.

Second. I was on one of those quick overnight trips where I only pack a set of socks/underwear and shirt and just plan on wearing the same trousers (do you see a theme developing here?) When leaving my hotel the next morning I dropped the rental car keys and when I leaned down to pick them up I felt the "rip" as I split the pants wide open. With nothing to change into, I managed to find a WalMart that was open early and sort of sidled in to buy an emergency pair of pants I could change into. I'm sure WalMart has seen a lot worse!!
Old May 27, 2015, 8:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I'm an idiot.
I've done that on at least one trip. I also once did my morning routine, packed my bag and got in my car and headed out to the airport. While at a red light I happened to glance in my mirror and noticed I'd forgotten to comb my hair. It was sticking up in all directions and by then it wouldn't flatten. Thankfully, I had a baseball hat in my car but I sure felt silly wearing it on the plane
Old May 28, 2015, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've done that on at least one trip. I also once did my morning routine, packed my bag and got in my car and headed out to the airport. While at a red light I happened to glance in my mirror and noticed I'd forgotten to comb my hair. It was sticking up in all directions and by then it wouldn't flatten. Thankfully, I had a baseball hat in my car but I sure felt silly wearing it on the plane
I had an incident with George Bush and having our car towed. I was out in the street trying to work out what happened just after I had gotten out of the shower and the policeman said to me "madam, do you realise you have a towel on your head".
Old May 28, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
This past winter I was in DTW, flight was very delayed, it was very cold outside. After waiting what felt like forever for the hotel shuttle, I realized upon arrival at my hotel that I was attempting to check into the Four Points when my reservation was for the Sheraton.
Fortunately the Four Points gang was kind and sympathetic and called over to get me on a shuttle right away to the right hotel.

It had been a long night.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
This past winter I was in DTW, flight was very delayed, it was very cold outside. After waiting what felt like forever for the hotel shuttle, I realized upon arrival at my hotel that I was attempting to check into the Four Points when my reservation was for the Sheraton.
Fortunately the Four Points gang was kind and sympathetic and called over to get me on a shuttle right away to the right hotel.

It had been a long night.
I had that happen at FRA...I walked to the Sheraton and insisted I had a reservation. I was completely exhausted and after much pleading to keep looking they finally gave me a room. The next morning I got an email from Hilton asking about my stay.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I had that happen at FRA...I walked to the Sheraton and insisted I had a reservation. I was completely exhausted and after much pleading to keep looking they finally gave me a room. The next morning I got an email from Hilton asking about my stay.
Well at least you have N excuse since at FRA you hit the Sheraton before the Hilton but you missed out as I love the Hilton.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:40 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Mine probably had to be tripping and falling down the stairs at the arrivals hall in SYD after a flight from AKL. I was ok, but quite an embarrassing moment!
Old May 29, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Dunno if this quite counts as a travel moment -

I was vacationing in a small Mexican seaside town where most of the local merchants didn't speak English & was pretty pleased with my success using high school/tourist Spanish with gestures.

One afternoon I stopped in at a small market to pick up some foodstuffs. Found everything I was looking for except eggs. Strolled up to the lady at the counter and had this exchange:

Me: "Hable Engles?" [do you speak English?]
She: "No"
"Oh. Tiene [do you have] ojos?"
She looks at me quizzically.
"ojos? Tiene ojos?" (me gesturing as if I'm holding a small, round object)
She tilts her head a bit to the side and starts slowly shaking it while looking at me like I may be crazy.
I stop & think for a minute "huevos! huevos! Tiene huevos?"
She laughs and goes to the back for some eggs.

Huevos = eggs
ojos = eyeballs

Later that same trip I was leaving my room when as the maid was coming in. I meant to say "good afternoon." I actually said "good luck." She laughed nervously as she went in.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by greenskin
Dunno if this quite counts as a travel moment -

I was vacationing in a small Mexican seaside town where most of the local merchants didn't speak English & was pretty pleased with my success using high school/tourist Spanish with gestures.

One afternoon I stopped in at a small market to pick up some foodstuffs. Found everything I was looking for except eggs. Strolled up to the lady at the counter and had this exchange:

Me: "Hable Engles?" [do you speak English?]
She: "No"
"Oh. Tiene [do you have] ojos?"
She looks at me quizzically.
"ojos? Tiene ojos?" (me gesturing as if I'm holding a small, round object)
She tilts her head a bit to the side and starts slowly shaking it while looking at me like I may be crazy.
I stop & think for a minute "huevos! huevos! Tiene huevos?"
She laughs and goes to the back for some eggs.

Huevos = eggs
ojos = eyeballs

Later that same trip I was leaving my room when as the maid was coming in. I meant to say "good afternoon." I actually said "good luck." She laughed nervously as she went in.
No travel related but international related. My ex-boyfriend was German. We lived together for a while and every night I would say what I thought was "good night" in German as we got into bed. He would smile big and say "yes". I always thought it was a bit of an odd response but never more than that. Now we are still friends and about a year after we broke up he laughingly told me that my pronunciation was bad and what I said every night was not good night but rather "good naked". That was the reason for the grin as he looked at me getting into bed (and yes, I sleep in the buff). LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.