Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I think it was the first

Originally Posted by smith80678
Were they talking about you because of the passed gas or the call for TP. I find it hard to believe the whole flight would be talking about you because the FA brought TP to the loo. That is nothing.
As this was the group that was in route to the lavatories. I do not think anyone knew about the TP part, since it was not mentioned or seen.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
1. Eating pizza toast at a coffee shop in Kushiro Station, Hokkaido, after staying up for 28+ hours and napping on the flight from HND.... In my stupor I started to walk out without paying and was of course forcibly reminded of this by the lady working there. I was deeply apologetic while paying the bill, but they don't get too many foreigners up there and I'm afraid I might have gooned up things for other tourists at that shop.

2. Falling on my arse when one of the vestibule seats on the Paris Metro folded up behind me after I got up to look out the window at some scenery and then tried to sit down again. There was, of course, a French gentleman sitting across from me who was highly amused.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Tripping and doing a face plant while walking up the steps of St. Peter's in Rome and having a large group of nuns laugh at me
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Going thru one of my most embarrassing travel moments.

Subj

When I arrived today at EWR's Hertz pickup location, my name was not in the list. Well, they did find my reservation but somehow the charge was $100 more than I had in my reservation. I really wanted to get out from the airport after 15h flight and fiasco at GE kiosks so just took the car and and left.

Arrived at office 2 hours later and called my colleague. He was quite surprised to hear me telling that he expected to meet me tomorrow and have our meetings the day after.

I'm sorry, what?

Checked my hotel reservation and my calendar, and yes, seems I've booked everything for tomorrow. And finally I arrived at hotel, reception also told me that my reservation is for tomorrow.

Long story short, I forgot to adjust the date when crossing International Date Line. I left Singapore on 27th and arrived at States on 27th as well... while had all my bookings - meetings, hotel, car, etc on 28th. That's also explains why Hertz's charges were $100 more. It is for two days, not for one.

At least I arrived day earlier, not later, and I am not alone - Phileas Fogg had the same situation as well.

However this is not the first time I am having slight problem with a date: our honeymoon I scheduled such a way that we would attend International Salsa Congress. We arrived at Hilton Vegas and there was no sign of any such event. Then I checked printed papers more closely.

It was held previous year.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Getting taken on cheap, crappy suits in Bangkok. I didn't really like the city so just adds to the whole dislike.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sushanna1
Which reminds of the time in Luzerne when I tried to mail a letter in the bin meant for dog waste. Blame it on jet lag but I did bring a smile to a couple of joggers.
I've done this in reverse. Out walking the dog and lost in thought. The dog does his business, I baggie it and without thinking drop it in the mail box (Chicago has new trash cans that open just like a mailbox). Realizing what I've just done I momentarily think "should I drop in a note of apology", but having no pen or paper I finally walk sheepishly away.

I wonder how often this happens.

I actually was one of those "locked out in a towel guys." It was late at night, and I'd previously seen that the door didn't fully close without extra force. Thinking "perfect" I grabbed my ice bucket and a towel, opened the door to peek around "dead quiet", made for the ice machine down the hallway at which point I heard an ominous CLICK. Sure enough the door had closed and locked. This is how I found out that when you're locked out with no ID the hotel staff (looking as embarrassed as you) go up with you and enter the room so you can retrieve an ID to show them that you belong there.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: Enough
Was on the train in SYD with my partner. I gave him a friendly tug on the shirt, and of course, I rip the entire shirt... luggage was in storage, so he walked through the SYD airport shirtless :P
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Some of the most embarassing travel moments is when my two sons cried while descending in an airplane.. plus the many #2 type diapers we've had to change. I'm glad those days are over for my two sons.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I may have posted in this thread before, but I just hit a new low last week and thought I'd share. I was with a friend flying home from SIN on LH via HKG and FRA--he in F and me in J. We misunderstood the rules regarding the First Class Terminal, thinking that an F passenger could bring a J-class guest if that guest was on his/her inbound or outbound flight. Indeed, we were on the same inbound flight to FRA, but different outbound ones that morning.

So, we made the trek in the pre-dawn cold to the FCT, and when we were approached by the "assistant," who welcomed my friend. He, in turn, introduced me as his guest. The assistant looked at me with sad, sorry, yet stern eyes and told us politely but in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome in the FCT, as we were not on the same outbound flight. To his credit, my friend tried to reason with the lady, but to avoid any embarrassment or conflict for them, I told them both that I understood, and we parted ways.

The lonely walk of shame back to the mere mortals' terminal was, I have to admit, one of the more embarrassing, or at least disappointing, travel experiences I've had. Guess I have to make sure I book myself in F next time.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Mine is still the time I took a bus (I know) from Las Vegas to Salt Lake overnight. I sat waiting in the Vegas Bus terminal thinking what a sh-hole it was and then about how everyone boarding my bus were such losers and how strange they looked. I was just so much above it all.

The bus was half full. We all had two seats to ourselves. When I doze off, I usually lean forward or sideways. Well it's about 3 am and I really doze off except this time my head goes back, way back and apparantly I stopped breathing for a few.

I woke up with a jolt gasping for air while making very loud snorting noises. The driver flips on all the lights and starts looking in that large mirror to see what the hell is going on in the back and EVERYONE that I knew was below me is now pointing and laughing at the freak that is me. Talk about embarrassing and humbling.

I kept low for the rest of the ride and practically ran off when we got to Salt Lake. Some were still laughing.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Fell asleep on the Shinkansen bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo once, and didn't wake up until the train had stopped and everyone except me had disembarked (thank goodness Tokyo was the final stop). A bunch of people outside the train saw me dozing and banged on the window, and I woke up with a start to find myself completely alone in the train. I hastily got off and disappeared into the mass of people at the station...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by zcat18
This happened recently:

Came down with a violent bout of the 24-hour flu while en route home from a work trip. I was borderline unfit to fly but wanted to get home and into my own bed rather than hole up in a sterile hotel and try to ride out the illness.

I arrived early at the airport and made my way to the United Club, where I curled up in a chair in the corner to wait for my flight. I had cold sweats, fever--the works--and was drifting in and out of an uneasy sleep. It was not pretty. Suddenly, I realized that I was going to be sick. I jumped up and RAN--not walked--to the restroom. I barely made it and ended up quite loudly and dramatically projectile vomiting into the sink (thank goodness nobody else was in the restroom at the time). While I guess it could have been worse, this was nonetheless a mess that would likely require a shop vac to clean up. I did the best I could with paper towels and water, but it resulted in little improvement.

I temporarily felt slightly better, but I also realized just how embarrassing this whole scene was: a United Club sink in the shape you can only imagine it was in after the aforementioned event.

I sheepishly went to the front desk and told the lounge dragon what had happened. Sympathetic though he was, I did not stick around to see his or the maintenance staff's reaction after actually entering the restroom, and I doubt that I will be showing my face in that particular UC again.
I received a 5 pm call from my ex husband that he had found my dad dead on the couch at his home I raced to the airport 3 hours away (and felt sick and cried the whole time), then on the bus from the car park terminal the driver could tell I was not well and asked if I was nervous about flying. I explained I had some bad news and was heading home. She was lovely and told me to let her know if I felt like throwing up and she'd pull over. When I finally got to the airport and was sick in the toilet cubicle a lovely lady cleaner knocked and asked if I was ok. I thought that was really nice. She didn't high tail it out of there thinking she'd have to clean up any mess.

Maybe those cleaning staff felt for you too!! (I hate being sick and not being in my own bed)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:48 am

I was in a day long business training / meeting in a Client open space office in London.
Was supposed to walk from desk to desk and speak with people.
At about 11.30 am , the back of my trousers cracked , hate this "crack" noise.

Was wondering what I should say to go back to my hotel and change.
I finally said that I took a little weight and they probably don't want to see that part of my body all afternoon.
They were kind enough to drive me back to my hotel and was feeling so much better after.

That's probably the most recent one.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:33 am

Boarded a Southwest SJC-MDW flight the morning after a wedding(having gone the long way, from Frankfurt and S'pore for business, to the wedding). Flight is all boarded, GF next to me and FA comes on PA asking if "Ama" is on board(On SWA they only show the first three letters of your name on drink coupons...). I wasn't paying much attention but as it clicked in my head FA says "come on now we're not kicking you off just want to give you back your drink coupon!". I press the call button at the same time...plane erupts in laughter, GF calls me an idiot.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I was on a flight several years ago, I was 15 at the time. I went to the lav and as a male I was standing up... you get the idea.

I forgot to lock the lav door. A boy I'd say around 10 years old opens the door. Pretty awkward moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.