Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:43 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:04 am
Suspended

Some really embarrassing moments folks...
Mine was many, many years ago in Miami, Florida. We came over from Europe (for the first time) and planned on travelling further to the west. Somehow we got it wrong with our watches or an expected delay did suddenly not happen - can`t remember exactly. We were sitting outside and when we came back into the hall we heard the last call for our names...OMG luggage checked through, not a lot of money (beeing students at that time)
God we ran till our lungs hurt badly. But we made it...pleople at the gate were very anrgy
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:08 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Talking

I remember seeing a "Streaker" run through the concourse back in the day when "Streaking" was popular.
I was embarrassed for the guy. He was near the end of the line when the almighty handed out certain body parts.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
I remember seeing a "Streaker" run through the concourse back in the day when "Streaking" was popular.
I was embarrassed for the guy. He was near the end of the line when the almighty handed out certain body parts.
Maybe it was just cold in there

Mine: a while back, I was overpacked for a week in LA. This was back in the days before baggage fees for normal bags, but when they'd still hit you for an overweight bag fee, so to avoid the fee, the ticket agent handed me a clear plastic trash can liner, suggesting I stuff some clothes in there to get the checked bag weight down.

This was also the first flight where I can remember being offered an upgrade for cash at check-in, which I took, and my first flight in F, so I decided to get my money's worth and drink a stupid quantity of red wine on the flight. The FA did his part by keeping my glass full the whole way.

So I showed up to LAX sloshed, a little lost and confused, and carrying a weeks' worth of bras and panties and one high-heeled shoe in a see-through bag though the airport.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I almost forgot. I was once moved from an OpUp seat (3B to1A I think) on CO20 EWR-MAN. It was middle of summer and I was traveling in open sandals. My feet smelled bad and I was so embarassed and another pax obviously complained. I got a small deodarant aerosol out and sprayed my feet in the lavatory. To this day, I always wear shoes and socks since that incident, wash my feet thoroughly before flying and carry my 3 oz spray deodorant.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:51 am

Exclamation Got on the wrong plane once, with Gate Agent approval!

I don't know if this was "embarrassing", but I remember once getting on an America West flight (when they still flew) heading to MCO, just barely made the flight, quickly sitting down in my seat, and preparing for take-off. Luckily, about 2 minutes before door closure, another passenger rushing like me got on and said "I think you are in my seat". I showed him my boarding pass, sure enough same seat. We called over the FA. She confirmed both in the same seat and then said, "WAIT! You are headed to ORLANDO! We're going to LOS ANGELES!"
So I had to skedaddle out of the plane PDQ.

What's funny? The GATE AGENT took my ticket and BOARDED ME! My ticket said Gate X, and that's where I went, and the gate agent actually boarded me even though it was the wrong flight. Funny.
Lucky I did not wind up in the air and THEN discovered the error.

Those around me laughed and sneered. So I guess to many it would have been "embarrassing", but I was so rushed and so amazed that I went to the right gate, and was allowed to board through the gate agent that I did not personally feel like it was totally my fault, so no personal embarrassment.

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:07 pm

Forgot this one!

Sorry about the double post, but just remembered!

I was in Minneapolis watching a movie on HBO in the room. Dead of winter so watching a movie in a hotel room was about the best you were going to do for entertainment. I can't remember which movie. It was rated R. That I do remember, but nothing raunchy in your face.

I ordered room service.

Pretty lady delivered it to my room. The moment she walked in with the tray smiling and being professional, the movie suddenly took a very "Adult" turn. I mean VERY adult. With a lot of noise to match the action. She looked at the screen, looked at me (smile had long since gone from her face), put the tray down and left without having me sign the check or saying ONE MORE WORD.

I can just imagine the story in the kitchen. Sheesh. That was embarrassing. I'm sure as far as she was concerned, this Perv ordered up Adult pay per view, and THEN had the audacity to ORDER ROOM SERVICE to accompany his Adult Flick! Good grief! Embarrassing indeed.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Luckily, about 2 minutes before door closure, another passenger rushing like me got on and said "I think you are in my seat". I showed him my boarding pass, sure enough same seat. We called over the FA. She confirmed both in the same seat and then said, "WAIT! You are headed to ORLANDO! We're going to LOS ANGELES!"
Yeah, that happened to me once. It was before they scanned the BPs with a computer so it may have been more frequent then.

Anyway- in December 2010 I was in FRA waiting for a connection to ZRH. There was a long line for the Ladies' room and a well-intentioned (I think!) cleaning lady motioned for me to use the Handicapped lav, which was a separate room. I did- and couldn't unlock the door to get out. I had awhile till my flight took off so that wasn't an immediate worry, but I was strung out from the redeye from the US and the stress of getting my BP reissued due to a missed connection (no access to airside lounge without BP, had to wait in long line for new BP). I pounded on the door and screamed a lot, in a mix of English and bad German. Occasionally there were voices on the other side and I asked if anyone spoke English. No response. It seemed like 15 minutes but was probably 5 till someone was able to open it from the outside and I was free again.

I slunk away, wondering how many people had heard the hammering, observing "Das war schrecklich" (that was horrible) on my way back to my gate.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Mine were both on the ground. On my first trip to Malaysia many years ago, I jhad planned to take my own spoon (for stirring my tea coffee after adding artificial sweetener), knife and for for eating in rural areas, but forgot to pack these items in my hiking backpack.

No problem I thought. I took a knife, and a fork from the meal service. I had them in my jacket pocket when going through security in NRT. When I set off the alarm, I was asked to remove everything from my pockets. The staff laughed when they saw silverware with airline logo, but I was embarrassed.

The second incident happened in an elevator, I needed to adjust my jewels for a while but couldn't so so in public. Since I was alone in the elevator, I thought that was a good opportunity. As I pulled my hand out, my writs watch got caught in the waistband. I panicked as I wanted my had out before the elevator doors opened. Panic did not help one bit. When the elevator doors opened, I was facing the people waiting for the elevator. Caught red-handed and red-faced, I said "my wrist watch got cuaght in the waistband". They chuckled. I hope they understood.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I was at a hotel in NJ (Embassy Suites Parsippany I think??) and the door on the room malfunctioned. I couldn't get it to open. I had to call the front desk and explain that I was locked in my room.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:10 pm

My most embarrassing moment flying was trying to board a flight from ORD to MSP. It was the last flight on NWA leaving that night. I am in a wheelchair and travel with my own manual wheelchair, but need an aisle chair to get to my seat on the plane. We (my spouse and I) were at the gate in plenty of time and told the gate agent who said they would call for an aisle chair.

We sat and waited as regular wheelchair after wheelchair after wheelchair was brought to the gate. No aisle chair, only regular manual wheelchairs. The entire plane boarded as I sat waiting in my personal wheelchair. Twenty minutes and 10 regular wheelchairs later, someone finally showed up with an aisle chair so I could board the plane. I was so embarrassed that an entire plane full of people had to wait and wait and wait.

My other embarrassing story is from years ago when I could still manage a few steps. We flew into Mexico and there was no jetway. I managed to wobble my way to the top of a very long set of metal steps and looked down to where the bus full of passengers from the plane was parked and waiting for me. I realized that if I tried to walk down the steps I was going to fall off of them onto the tarmac.

So instead, I sat down and bumped my way down to the bottom of the steps like a little kid. For the rest of the week, everywhere we went in town, someone would come up to me and tell me that they had been on the bus and watched me go down the steps.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I don't know if this was "embarrassing", but I remember once getting on an America West flight (when they still flew) heading to MCO, just barely made the flight, quickly sitting down in my seat, and preparing for take-off. Luckily, about 2 minutes before door closure, another passenger rushing like me got on and said "I think you are in my seat". I showed him my boarding pass, sure enough same seat. We called over the FA. She confirmed both in the same seat and then said, "WAIT! You are headed to ORLANDO! We're going to LOS ANGELES!"

What's funny? The GATE AGENT took my ticket and BOARDED ME! My ticket said Gate X, and that's where I went, and the gate agent actually boarded me even though it was the wrong flight. Funny.
Lucky I did not wind up in the air and THEN discovered the error.

Those around me laughed and sneered. So I guess to many it would have been "embarrassing", but I was so rushed and so amazed that I went to the right gate, and was allowed to board through the gate agent that I did not personally feel like it was totally my fault, so no personal embarrassment.
An unfortunate embarassing moment turned lucky.. Imagine getting off the plane and finding out you're in LA..
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
First flight I can remember. I was about 10 or so. Used the lav. Didn't know to lock the door. Someone opened, and then slammed the door.

Still haunts me to this day.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
An unfortunate embarassing moment turned lucky.. Imagine getting off the plane and finding out you're in LA..
No Doubt! If that other PAX had not shown up last minute and challenged my seating, I would have taken off. Not all airlines back then said "Welcome aboard XYZ flight to wherever". Some just took to the air. The only clue I would have had is if the pilot came on and told us what to expect on landing in "LAX". That's when my heart would have skipped several beats!

After reading the Op's post of being trapped in a hotel room, that also happened to me. Door malfunction - at a hotel in Indiana. Had to call front desk and maintenance broke me out. Did not see this as embarrassing. Just inconvenient. Not my fault their door mechanism broke.

Travel enough, you are bound to have crazy things happen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.