Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:55 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Exclamation Coolest thing that ever happened!

Many would classify this as "Embarrassing" but to me it was just... VERY COOL!

I was boarding about 2 or 3 years ago. Can't remember the carrier or the flight from where to where. Doesn't matter.

Right when I got to the breach of where the Jetway meets the airplane, my Blackberry somehow got bumped out of the holster. (I carry my blackberry in a holster attached to my laptop bag).

It popped out and fell RIGHT WHERE THE CRACK WAS BETWEEN THE PLANE AND THE JETWAY! Teetering there. A young boy behind me immediately jumped into action and grabbed it seconds before it was going to fall onto the tarmac. He basically had it in his two fingers like tweezers trying to pull it back up between the crack space between the jetway and the plane. This attracted attention from the crew and the ground crew. Meanwhile a few of us PAX are standing there dumbstruck at the crazy circumstance we had here.

Ground crew yelled up to the boy "Let it go! We'll Catch it!" He could not manage to pull it back up through the crack with his tweezer grip, so he let it go. The ground crew guy caught it and brought it up the stairs to the jetway and handed it to me!

He said, "Man, are you lucky!"

Can you believe that!? How cool is that?

I wasn't going to post here because to me, that was not embarrassing, but just plane COOL! (pun intended on plane) But for many, it would have been very embarrassing.

I thanked the young guy big time. His mother said "He does that all the time". I said, "Really? He catches phones before they fall from Jetways?"
She smiled.

Super Smartphone Rescue Lad!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:57 am

Didn't happen to me, but my dad, whom I was sharing a hotel room with. He had just finished up doing his business in the bathroom and the toilet clogged and started to overflow. He had to make the embarrassing call to the front desk to have maintenance fix it. The maintenance guy came in, took one look at the mess and was like "Oh boy....."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
Originally Posted by MKEbound
First flight I can remember. I was about 10 or so. Used the lav. Didn't know to lock the door. Someone opened, and then slammed the door.

Still haunts me to this day.
My daughter did that when she was 17. It was only a 4hour flight. Now she does regular trips from JNB to LHR via AUH and will refuse to use the toilet. I don't know how she can last that long!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
I don't know if this was "embarrassing", but I remember once getting on an America West flight (when they still flew) heading to MCO, just barely made the flight, quickly sitting down in my seat, and preparing for take-off. Luckily, about 2 minutes before door closure, another passenger rushing like me got on and said "I think you are in my seat". I showed him my boarding pass, sure enough same seat. We called over the FA. She confirmed both in the same seat and then said, "WAIT! You are headed to ORLANDO! We're going to LOS ANGELES!"
So I had to skedaddle out of the plane PDQ.

What's funny? The GATE AGENT took my ticket and BOARDED ME! My ticket said Gate X, and that's where I went, and the gate agent actually boarded me even though it was the wrong flight. Funny.
Lucky I did not wind up in the air and THEN discovered the error.

Those around me laughed and sneered. So I guess to many it would have been "embarrassing", but I was so rushed and so amazed that I went to the right gate, and was allowed to board through the gate agent that I did not personally feel like it was totally my fault, so no personal embarrassment.
Your story reminded me of another passenger's embarassing moment. I was flying Braniff (of blessed memory) from EWR to DFW. We were taxiing toward the runway and the FA started her safety briefing with "Welcome to Braniff flight XYZ non-stop service to Dallas" when another passenger yelled out "Dallas? Not Dulles?". Sure enough, we had to taxi back to the gate and let the poor guy off.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:57 pm

I don't know if this was "embarrassing", but I remember once getting on an America West flight (when they still flew) heading to MCO, just barely made the flight, quickly sitting down in my seat, and preparing for take-off. Luckily, about 2 minutes before door closure, another passenger rushing like me got on and said "I think you are in my seat". I showed him my boarding pass, sure enough same seat. We called over the FA. She confirmed both in the same seat and then said, "WAIT! You are headed to ORLANDO! We're going to LOS ANGELES!"
So I had to skedaddle out of the plane PDQ.

What's funny? The GATE AGENT took my ticket and BOARDED ME! My ticket said Gate X, and that's where I went, and the gate agent actually boarded me even though it was the wrong flight. Funny.
Lucky I did not wind up in the air and THEN discovered the error.

Those around me laughed and sneered. So I guess to many it would have been "embarrassing", but I was so rushed and so amazed that I went to the right gate, and was allowed to board through the gate agent that I did not personally feel like it was totally my fault, so no personal embarrassment.
Almost happened to me.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:59 pm

Last year, I was flying from a US airport to FRA. I was sitting in the first row of C while the back of the plane was still boarding. I decided to download photos from my camera to my notebook, and discovered that I forgot the notebook at security. And it contained all my travel photos!

I asked the FAs if I could quickly run back to security to retrieve it, and they were OK with this. The staff at the gate was less enthusiastic, but I could go. So I sprinted to where I thought security was... and arrived at a people mover station! I completely forgot there was a people mover between the gates and security. I waited and waited, then rode to the security screening area, retrieved the notebook, waited again, rode the people mover and sprinted back to the gate.

At the gate, one of the gate staff was standing in the middle of the concourse looking into the distance with a desperate look on her face. There was still a queue for boarding standing in front of the now locked jetway door with an alarm sounding. I guess they were minutes away from having the plane evacuated and searched (my hand baggage was still onboard). I was told I caused a security breach and that I should never do it again. And yes, in hindsight, I think it is a cause for alarm when a pax leaves his belongings onboard and then runs away as quickly as he can!

Fortunately, no one onboard the plane saw the drama, so my embarassment ended as soon as I stepped back onboard

When flying back from a vacation in Ibiza, I was in a hurry leaving the hotel, so I just threw everything into my suitcase to sort it later at the airport. In the checkin line, I opened my suitcase and started fishing out items that go into the hand baggage. I was very embarassed by the chaos in my suitcase, so I covered the contents with a towel and then put my hands under it to get out cameras, cables etc. The phone charger took several minutes to find. Suddenly, there was a considerable unrest in the queue. A man behind me asked if everything was OK, and a few minutes later a lady told me she was very nervous because I was doing things in my suitcase. I still didn't get it, so I apologized and told her I was almost finished. Only onboard the plane did it occur to me, half of the people in the queue probably thought I was arming a bomb!

But most embarassing was opening the lav door to find an old lady sitting there. This happened to me twice, so now I am always opening the door by one inch first and carefully peeking inside to see if any horrors are hiding within
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:34 pm
Suspended

I don't know if this was "embarrassing", but I remember once getting on an America West flight (when they still flew)
I might have been more interesting if you had gotten on their flight after they stopped flying.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I carry a small notebook that I record travel data in (registration numbers, other dorky stuff etc.). I boarded an AA MD-80 at ORD and walked all the way back to the exit row (18 rows back) and realized I didn't have my notebook. I'd stopped at a Starbucks in the terminal so I swam upstream past all the boarding passengers, told the FAs at the door what I was doing, then told the GAs what I was doing. I get to Starbucks and there's no notebook on the counter.

....the damn thing was in my pocket the whole time
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:38 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by yaatri
i might have been more interesting if you had gotten on their flight after they stopped flying.
bah hahahahahah! :d:d:d
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I might have been more interesting if you had gotten on their flight after they stopped flying.
^ ROFL! Wish there was a rofl emoticon!!!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Figgie
My most embarrassing moment flying was trying to board a flight from ORD to MSP. It was the last flight on NWA leaving that night. I am in a wheelchair and travel with my own manual wheelchair, but need an aisle chair to get to my seat on the plane. We (my spouse and I) were at the gate in plenty of time and told the gate agent who said they would call for an aisle chair.

We sat and waited as regular wheelchair after wheelchair after wheelchair was brought to the gate. No aisle chair, only regular manual wheelchairs. The entire plane boarded as I sat waiting in my personal wheelchair. Twenty minutes and 10 regular wheelchairs later, someone finally showed up with an aisle chair so I could board the plane. I was so embarrassed that an entire plane full of people had to wait and wait and wait.
The first two or three times I was boarded using an aisle chair after all the other passengers were boarded were embarrassing. After that, I just decided not to be embarrassed any more - if anyone was going to be embarrassed, it should be the airport contractors who cannot produce an aisle chair when it is requested.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
Back in 1969, I was flying to join my husband in the Middle East. I didn't want to trust my set of silverware to the postal system, so I had it with me. Because the weight of one's carry-on was included in the 20-kilo baggage limit, and I would have been waaaay over the limit, I transferred the entire set to my large handbag (luckily, they didn't weigh handbags) until I could transfer it back to my carry-on after boarding. No jetways, so we had to walk across the runway and go up boarding steps. I was the last person boarding and had almost reached the top when my purse "exploded" and all the silverware went cascading down the steps....all over the tarmac below. Luckily, the flight crew were good sports about it and everyone helped me pick up the entire mess and put it in a couple of plastic bags. Of course, everyone kept coming by and asking to borrow a fork....
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
I was in Killarney, Ireland and I'd walked about five miles that day. I was at a concert almost a mile from my B&B, which was somewhat uphill as well. I saw a guy in the parking lot, and asked, "Can I get a ride into town?"

Long pause.

"American, are ye?"

At that moment, I realized my critical error. I admitted I was.

"Just wanted to give you what ye asked for."

And I got a lift into town.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I too got busted whilst watching "Bad Teacher" except that a guy was walking back from the lav (i was seated in the next to last seat in the BC side of an ERJ, alone) and the augmentation scene came on. Said guy stopped for a moment, to also watch. I hadn't seen the movie yet, so had no idea to expect it.

Two weeks ago i was flying out of PWM to ORD. There were two flights that were leaving pretty close to eachother one the one to ORD and one to IAD. There was a ruckus in the back when suddenly there were more pax than seats. Turns out 4 or 5 soldiers who were going to IAD on orders got on the same plane. If you've been to PWM you'll know how confusing this can be as UA, CO, and AC all use the same gate and it is a very long jetbridge with very little signs. There is a chance that they never would've noticed but the night before the ORD flight cancelled and most of the people were rebooked onto that early flight.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
One of the first trips I booked for myself flying from ANC to DTW via SEA. The flight from ANC continued onto DTW, but I didn't realize I had booked a flight to DTW an hour later. So get to SEA and I stayed on the plane. Only realized the problem when somebody boarded in SEA with my seat assignment. OOPS! Had to gather everything up really quickly and swim against the stream of boarding passengers to get off the plane. But at least I got the extra miles for the one-stop versus the direct.

When I was 3, our seats were only a few rows back from the lav & I had lots of experience on planes at that point, so my mom let me go to the bathroom by myself. Got in there and the door jammed. So there I was stuck in an airplane bathroom screaming for my mommy. Apparently every parent in coach tried to come to my rescue. I was in my teens before I used an airplane bathroom again - and that was only because it was an 8+ hour flight. Wouldn't necessarily be embarassed by this except that, whenever we travel together, mom loves to share this story with everyone we meet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.