Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Forgot to go to the toilet before the seat belt sign came on for landing. There was a very large damp patch on the Y seat as I disembarked.

Well the air in the plane is rather dry isnt it? Hope it dried up quickly.
Holly sh;;;t, and your pants? Ohhhhhhh
Old May 22, 2011, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Forgot to go to the toilet before the seat belt sign came on for landing. There was a very large damp patch on the Y seat as I disembarked.
How old were you?
Old May 22, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
In the future just get up and go.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:58 am

In the mid 70:s I flew/worked for a budget airline ~ we had only one route. Out of the nr. Caribbean to Luxembourg and back: sometimes through Shannon. I was a great deal for the pax who were mostly from the US. Two hot meals, free wine and booze and pretty hard work for us,as we were known back then stewardesses! The flights were usually quite jolly.
We were ususally full with about 250 pax.

To my everlasting shame I made a terrible mistake on a day flight. There were two very serious looking men with hats and head curls who, while the rest of the plane was tucking into their lunch, sat and waited for their special meals. I checked the ovens and felt the thick foil and it wasn't even luke warm. I ran back and forth to these fellows, apologizing for the delay.

Finally, we only had about an hour to go and I got desperate. Without reading the instruction on the meals I cut off the heavy armour and voila! the meals heated up in 5 minutes.

Elated, I brought the meals to these guys, saying : "I'm so sorry but I didn't know they had to opened up ~ anyway, they're nice and hot now. Enjoy!"

I didn't at all understand their angry glares. These poor guys couldn't eat food touched by gentile hands! I was only 20 at the time and they eventually and gracefully accepted unpeeled fruit and crackers & cheese in wrappers.

As a side-note, our cabins crews, a mix of blond scandinavians, eurasians and African descent girls, were all trained by Eastern Airlines in MIA for a month. We were flawless in Emergency Procedures, had very kinky uniforms (I'm sure many of FTers remember the Barbie Doll days) but because of our tender years, it was much we hadn't learned. For instance, I didn't know the difference between scotch and bourbon ~ and I quite happily substituted Tonic Water for Club Soda, thinking it was the same mixer.

I'm glad to say that I caught on soon and after two years was hired as Head Stew for another airliner (and was allowed to wear a more dignified outfit: the blouses covered my midrift and skirt hems were nearer to my knees than my bum!)

I still cringe when I think back on my ignorance ~ thank God we get wiser!
Old May 22, 2011, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Do gold's get a fluffer in F ?
That has been enhanced away.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
How old were you?
Lets just say this was within the past 24 months.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
How old were you?
Ok, what age are you now?
Old May 22, 2011, 6:40 pm

This is story about Mr. W-B, not about me, but I cringe every time I hear the story. Years ago, he would fly from SFO to BOS with his mother two brothers to spend their summer on Cape Cod. Father would arrive later for the end of the summer.

On one particular trip, at some point his brother turned to him, casually, and then threw up all over Mr. W-B's lap.

Poor Mr. W-B. He still remembers the looks of pity from fellow passengers as he went to clean up. I don't know which he suffered more from: the angst of being covered with vomit or the physical reality of being covered with vomit?
Old May 22, 2011, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I'm getting on in years myself I can only say how awful it must have been for you.

You have my sympathy.
Old May 22, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba

Well the air in the plane is rather dry isnt it? Hope it dried up quickly.
Have to admit I've nearly been caught out like this a couple of times. Somehow I managed to avoid the embarassment both times.

I guess the most embarassing for me was as a kid circling in a very bumpy fogbank coming into LHR on an AC DC-8(in the 60's) doing a team vomit with my sister all over our mother for quite an extended time.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Oh. My. God.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
KenJohn, you never said if your pants were wet when you disembarked?
Old May 26, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CRAZYBUBBA
In the future just get up and go.
I've never done that, but I frequently see folks who do, so I would definitely try if I was at pant-wetting stage. The FA's usually try to stop but it's never super aggressive as they can only advise (I think). This is in the US with all the DYKWIA's though.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
I've never done that, but I frequently see folks who do, so I would definitely try if I was at pant-wetting stage. The FA's usually try to stop but it's never super aggressive as they can only advise (I think). This is in the US with all the DYKWIA's though.
It's all about liability. It is a requirement to follow instructions, and you could get in trouble for it if the FAs escalate the situation, I don't know the procedures. Would a passenger in the aisle be reason for a go around should word get to the cockpit? Usually though, as long as they have told you (sternly) to sit down, they are protected should you injure yourself.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:50 pm
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
Yes: JFK-LAS the other week, someone in the cabin decided that V1 was the ideal time to get up and start fishing for something in the overhead.

As for embarrassing moments, I do remember on a packed overnight JFK-LHR sitting in xF and retrieving my amenity kit out of the overhead - the old style Club one - you remember, the zipper ones - the ones with a bit of substance. And corners. I manage to fumble this and drop it smack onto the face of the chap in xG, who was sound asleep wearing his eye mask and ear plugs. Thankfully no harm done, and I got away with a shaking of the head after a profuse apology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.