Reload this Page >

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Not actually on the plane, but waiting to board a plane.

One Thursday evening in May 1993 I had a particularly drunken all night leaving do in Dubai - my decision to foot the bar tab for the entire evening cost me GBP750 (and that was 20 years ago). I was transferring with the same employer to another construction project in Saudi .

On the Friday afternoon I somehow managed to drag myself out of bed to the airport for my EK DXB-DHA flight. I joined the back of a long queue of passengers waiting to board the plane, however on reaching the front of the queue and handing over my boarding pass I was greeted with some never-to-be-forgotten words - 'Sorry sir, this is the LHR flight. DHA is over there'!

Fast forward 4 years to May 1997. I've just started a new job in KUL and Mrs PtF, 8 year old daughter and 10 month old son are on a visa run to SIN. The three of them are walking to the gate in SIN for their return flight to KUL when Mrs PtF detects an ominous smell coming from the direction of Master PtF.

Not wishing to board the plane with a diaper full of poo Mrs PtF runs to the nearest toilet to deal with the offending odour - all this while three public address calls for them to board their flight to KUL are made. They eventually arrive at the gate, embarrassed and out of breath, to be informed their flight has departed. Luckily there was (and presumably still is) a virtual hourly SQ/MH shuttle between the two cities, so they were able to catch the next flight.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
In 2008 the zip on my trousers broke just as I was boarding the LHR - SYD service. Thankfully I had a tracksuit in my hand luggage (for sleeping in). So got upstairs and went to change immediately! Had I not had them with me it would have been an embarassing 24hrs!
Old May 16, 2011, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Ah, I just realized that I have the winning move in this game...

I wore burgundy leisure pants in the CCR and in the F cabin.

Game, set, match.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:13 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by badoc
Imagine it's a kind of confession. All will be forgiven
Actually no. Not in my case. My wife still cringes...

When we were relocating back from the US to Australia, our son was only 4-months old. Fortunately, we were in F on Qantas from LAX to MEL.

Wife was asleep. "Bollocks, I will have to change the nappy" said I.
"How hard could it be?" I continued to say to myself, in a pep talk sort of way.

I was what you might call, not a very hands on father at this stage. My wife will tell anyone who is prepared to listen that my baby skills were in fact "useless".

Ok, so I changed all of 4 nappies. Or diapers if you're American. Which is 400% more than my old man. So shoot me. Or write a letter to someone who cares.

Take Number One Son to bathroom. Place child on fold down table. Child senses fathers pending fear. Remove nappy. Child thrashes legs.

Then it happens.

Hard poo-like bullets shoot across table. I shriek like a girl. And press emergency button. For real girls to come and assist.

Wife still blissfully asleep.

Much commotion in F galley as 2 girls and a man called Robert try and all get into the F loo. Son is laughing. I am doing a Homer on him and trying to wring his neck.

Nappy no-where to be seen. Baby droppings now scattered from one end of the lav to the other. Pass child to real woman. She tells me that I am in fact the most pathetic excuse of a male she has ever come across.

Or something like that.

Robert waving his arms in glee. I am now gagging and yelling at Robert to bring me the champagne bottle.

Sadly, wife is now awake and has that motherly sense that something has gone terribly wrong. She appears in galley. Son is now being cared for by staff and has at least got pants on. I have been relegated to other side of galley to sit in shame. Robert(a) is now patting me on the head.

Toilet door is now plastered in police crime scene tape and a large out of order sign placed centre stage.

Needless to say, it was a relatively quiet trip for the rest of the way. And "useless" status was well and truly confirmed. By staff and Mrs Eightblack.

As you would expect, did not see wife naked for many months...
Old May 16, 2011, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Ah, I just realized that I have the winning move in this game...

I wore burgundy leisure pants in the CCR and in the F cabin.

Game, set, match.
Some people are color blind...
Old May 16, 2011, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Oh well, if you insist

Got on a shortfall flight, settled down and started reading the magazine. Next thing I know I'm smacked square round the chops. My wife, from whom I had separated about a year before, then proceeded to list all my faults. Quite a long list as I recall
I think this one wins the thread, nothing like being a captive audience and being told off by the ex...

Mine, the most recent that I can remember ( and I have lots) not really THAT bad, but I was transiting through LHR when my heel got caught in those people walker machines, lost the heel, had to limp through "snail track" and bought me a new pair of shoes. Not earth chattering.

Love the falling half naked out of the toilette. Great.

Last edited by Yahillwe; May 16, 2011 at 2:33 am
Old May 16, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As a precocious teenager on a CO TATL flight in J with my father I was once walked in on while sitting in the bathroom - I'd locked the door but the FA decided to open it from the outside...

More recently I managed to spill a full glass of red wine on my lap 3 hours into the night flight to Hong Kong in UD. The FA was a superstar though and very nice about it, went and got me a pair of pyjamas from F and hung up my trousers to dry and still provided me with a fresh glass of red (which by that point I clearly did not need)
Old May 16, 2011, 5:01 am

I bet a few people have indulged in a cheeky bit of Mile High Onanism.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silv/Bron/Silv/Bron/Bron/Bron/Silver... Bronze.... Blue (in more ways than one)
I was travelling back from a stag-do in BRU a couple of years ago.

On the morning of the wedding.

And yes, the groom was sitting beside me.

And yes, the departure was significantly delayed by fog in London. We were on the first flight which should have landed about 9am, but we were looking at a 1030ish landing in LHR with wedding to attend in Brighton at 1300....

Anyway, upon pressure from others stags, it fell to me to ask the cabin crew for an announcement to the plane of the (very) impending nuptials. The CC member's face was a picture when I told him when the wedding was, and he agreed to go and talk to someone about it.

A few minutes later, I had just taken a mouthful of coffee when I heard an outraged woman's voice behind the curtain shout "HE'S GETTING MARRIED IN 4 HOURS????"

I couldn't help it, and let out a great big laugh. Sadly, to make way for the mirth, I had to share that recently drunk coffee with the poor souls in the 3 or 4 rows in front of me.......

Sorry (again) if you were one of the unlucky ones...
Old May 16, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Not actually on the plane...
Waiting for baggage: Getting mildly miffed as everyone seemed to be disappearing with their bags leaving me on my own staring at the carousel. "Odd" I thought, as one last bag was going round and round with no owner... Then I realised that I was the owner!

In my defence, I did have several bags that day and this was a new one...
Old May 16, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by yahillwe
this made me laugh sooo hard. Thanks.

agreed! ^^^^^
Old May 16, 2011, 8:28 am

Anyone got lost on a plane, I did, I was travelling from SA to LHR in club world. My seat was facing toward to back of the plane after a couple of glasses of wine and a nap had to pay a visit. Well I walked the way my seat was facing ended up at the back of the plane and couldn't find my way back The FA had to bring me back as I had no clue where my seat was hubby was killing himself laughing it was hard to find it was dark and I didn't know I had come through the curtain so didn't know to go back that way
Old May 16, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
An eye candy related incident

Oh, this is an easy one to answer. Here's the scenario:

- I'm in seat 9a (for example)
- I'm using my left hand to take a cup of coffee while making sure I get an eyeful of the eye candy serving me the tea*
- Meanwhile, person in 8a reclines
- I twist around to put my coffee on the tray, banging the cup into the side of the now reclined 8a, spilling the coffee all over the eye candy sitting next to me in 9b.

* I'll say one thing for KLM's recruiting practices - they do discriminate.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Internaut
* I'll say one thing for KLM's recruiting practices - they do discriminate.
The only thing I miss about them...
Old May 16, 2011, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've not managed to make a fool of myself.....I always double check the door is locked when visiting the toilet.

A couple of minor things. Like walking in a drunken state back to my seat during some turbulence...... missing to get hold of one of the seat backs and placing my hand on someone's head instead.
During the night feeling under my seat for my shoe and tugging at it only to discover the shoe was attached to the foot of the person behind me. Don't think I disturbed his sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.