Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I once fell asleep on the toilet. Was abruptly awoken by the cabin crew banging on the door and shouting that they were about to force open the door.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Camflyer
I once fell asleep on the toilet. Was abruptly awoken by the cabin crew banging on the door and shouting that they were about to force open the door.
Shame as that would be a good extra legroom seat in WT otherwise...
Old May 15, 2011, 3:21 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

My worst was waking up thinking it was the middle of the night and going to the Club Kitchen and finding a nice stack of glasses of Apple Juice. I downed a few...then the crew came hoping to serve them to Traveller Plus.

oops.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Before I discovered flyertalk, using BA Miles to book short-haul economy
Old May 15, 2011, 3:24 pm

Oh well, if you insist

Got on a shortfall flight, settled down and started reading the magazine. Next thing I know I'm smacked square round the chops. My wife, from whom I had separated about a year before, then proceeded to list all my faults. Quite a long list as I recall
Old May 15, 2011, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hingethunder
Before I discovered flyertalk, using BA Miles to book short-haul economy
Oh dear Lord
Old May 15, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Oh dear Lord
I think I win this thread
Old May 15, 2011, 3:38 pm

The most embarrassing thing that has happened to me was automatically going to the seat I had selected at OLCI. It'd been a long tiring day and I just wanted to get settled as comfortably as one possibly can in Y for the trip ahead.

Much to my disdain I see someone sitting in my seat and not wanting to be confrontational I decide to ask a member of cabin crew to assist. I was really tired because the crew member proceeded to take me to my actual assigned seat which was in Y+ thanks to an op-up. I hadn't even noticed the new seat assignment on the boarding pass I was given at the bag-drop.

Not very embarrassing, but it certainly had the potential to get worse for me had I chosen to deal with the alleged seat-poacher myself.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Worst = mile high club (as viewed by those with more conservative sensibilities. Alas I would not be part of that group).

Most Embarrassing Overall = Flying on a Braniff 747 years ago on a repositioning flight (i.e. with no revenue passengers) with a Braniff employee family member I went to fetch a piece of cutlery for my SO at the time. Despite being told to latch the door, I failed to do so properly and upon landing the entire contents of that portion of the galley came crashing down.

Most Embarrassing BA = Flying F LHR-HKG I woke up with an urgent call to use the facilities. After entering the toilet with great haste and a very foggy mind I neglected to latch the door fully. Upon finishing my business and standing up, we hit a bit of turbulence and, with my trousers resting about mid-calf I was unable to both keep my balance and keep all parts of my clothing off the floor (something that is quite important to me in any public facility). I ended up falling sideways through the door and in to the aisle with a great crash. The noise caused a couple FAs and probably 50% of the cabin to look my way and see me 40% naked laying sideways on the floor. I was unaware one could turn that many shades of red and, needless to say, I asked very little of the cabin crew for the remainder of the flight.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Camflyer
How cool did you feel?
Old May 15, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Eaten CW food and not deemed it worthy of complaint
Old May 15, 2011, 4:45 pm

I once managed to confuse Kiri Ti Kanawa with Jan Leeming. We had a very long chat which I then ruined when I asked her if she still read the news!!
more recently I managed to announce afternoon tea in club by accidentally firing a champagne cork which promptly ricocheted off the over head locker! I was utterly mortified......
Old May 16, 2011, 12:10 am

Blagged an upgrade from WT to WT+ from YYZ back in 2006
Yes, I was one of those who had read another one of those ridiculous news stories on "how you get upgraded on international flights"... This was pre-FT mind you.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
I could have sworn that my boarding pass said xA (window seat on 737). I was happily sat during boarding reading my complimentary Telegraph, when a gentleman asked to see my boarding pass because I appeared to be sat in his seat. It turned out my boarding pass had changed itself to seat xF since I had last looked at it, and I was sat in his seat.

Fortunately he was nice and sat in my window seat on the other side of the aisle without hesitation. But it wasn't over because the crew then came looking for him to give him an upgrade to CE and he wasn't sat in his seat...
Old May 16, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
I travel light even doing a cabin bag and backpack for a two week Hong Kong and Thailand trip (including Mrs Rhinos clothing) So when we recently flew Johannesburg - Nelspruit on BAComair, I found to my horror the overhead bin at my row looking like we are doing a drop for the UN. I lost the plot right there and started asking in a very pissed off tone, the passengers around me "who's "kak" Afrikaans for "crap" is this, pointing to the stuffed overhead bin at my row. I got the death stare from my German wife who now wanted to leave the aircraft. Finally my luggage was taken to the rear of the plane, only to make me wait when we landed till last in retrieving it. Mrs. Rhino did mention a few words like "karma, foot in mouth, humble pie."

On flying back I saw a man with two inflated plastic bags containing chips heading for the plane, I turned to the Mrs. and shouted "runnnnnnnn" to get on before him. When he passed us with these huge bags on the aircraft (yes you read it on the aircraft) I did it again by asking him "are you catering today?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.