Reload this Page >

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by emma69
By flip the lock, I thought they meant the one that allows the door to open an inch or so, but no more. Do housekeepers have something to open that as well?
Thats exactly the one I meant
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by emma69
By flip the lock, I thought they meant the one that allows the door to open an inch or so, but no more. Do housekeepers have something to open that as well?
Hotel Security/Maintenance does. I've seen them practicing....

(it requires the door key to open the door that crack, then they have a flexible piece of thin steel which they can use to flip the inside latch off.)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Flew to a week-long training class in the S.F. area one Monday morning. Walked to the front desk to sign in for my class, only to find out that my class wasn't there. Well, actually it was...for the following week.

That was an embarrassing phone call to the boss.

Ended up staying that week for a different class.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by tenacioustins
Unless the maid (and we maids prefer the term housekeepers LOL) has a key that opens all. I know we do.

We have key card entry now and we have a little "do not disturb" card that goes in the key card hole, that way we know not to disturb them. Really, if you don't want to be walked in on, it's fairly preventable. Most hotels if not all have a "do not disturb" door hanger or card. Not too hard to put it out there.
I've had housekeepers walk in despite that (in rooms with no chain locker). I now bring a doorstop.

You know, I really wanted that extra special time with my SO rather than being interrupted by phone calls and knocking on the door. Truly. I was too busy making a mess to want it cleaned up just then. ;P
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I find that the staff knocks when I forget to put up the privacy sign indicating unwanted disturbance.

Once the privacy sign is up on the knob, there is calm, peace and quiet.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:38 pm

We have key card entry now and we have a little "do not disturb" card that goes in the key card hole, that way we know not to disturb them. Really, if you don't want to be walked in on, it's fairly preventable. Most hotels if not all have a "do not disturb" door hanger or card. Not too hard to put it out there.
I stayed at a hotel for three nights once. Put the sign up the first night, had it up for every morning during my stay, and had housekeeping knocking and barging in every morning, regardless of the sign.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:11 pm

Back afew years ago, I was denied boarding pass by KLM for not having an airport transit visa for transiting through AMS. I had the Swiss visa but Switzerland was not part of Schengen.....I had flown the previous year without needing the ATV and had not bothered to check the regulations(complacent).

Pretty embarrassing at the airport....KLM check-in girl was nice though, and the next day when I returned to the airport, saw her again @ check-in, and the only thing she checked was the ATV and I made the flight, thanks to a very helpful Dutch Consular official who issued the ATV right away in the morning.

Now I am meticulous about travel formalities, although becoming a Canadian citizen has added a lot of convenience and removed many hassles if going to the schengen zone
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
There are many nice hotels where they do two room checks in a day. Pretty impossible to safety-lock doors and put up signs all day long. But who really cares if the housekeeper sees you in your undies!!

Last edited by smith80678; Mar 6, 2012 at 10:09 am
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by firequall
I stayed at a hotel for three nights once. Put the sign up the first night, had it up for every morning during my stay, and had housekeeping knocking and barging in every morning, regardless of the sign.
Haha wow, really? We would be fired if we did that even once!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:13 pm

Well I just had my most embarrassing moment ever on my LAX to MEL flight. It was a wonderful flight overall...I love the A380 and the FAs and food and service are usually fantastic and this was no exception. We had dinner which tasted so good and was so well done...chicken with some sort of tomato sauce, some broccoli and potatoes, and a roll, with apple crumble cake for dessert. After that, I fell fast asleep and slept like a baby...until I woke up a couple hours later throwing up on myself. Forget making it to the loo. I was dreaming (or so I thought) about being sick, and when I woke up, I had thrown up all over myself. Having a window seat at 3:50am when all the PAXs are sleeping and you need to get out is not so nice. However, the person next to me had been awake anyway and she asked me if I was ok, at which point I fully woke up and told her no, please get a FA. At that point, no one had known what happened, as I held the pillow up between me and the person next to me...she didn't even know what happened until I got up and walked to the bathroom. I felt SO BAD because who wants to be next to the PAX that throws up on herself? Well thankfully they were Aussie and in good Aussie spirit, were ridiculously understanding, hospitable, and said not to worry about it. Thankfully I obviously had some instinct alive because everything went only on my shirt and the pillow, nothing or no one else so I was able to clean up well enough that no one knew what happened.

Because of the PAX and FA's good attitudes, I didn't stress and actually wasn't all that embarrassed and I felt great after that and went right back to sleep. Go figure. I don't know what it was, because the food was great and I had been feeling great when I went to sleep. It could have been the crazy day, since I had been awake since 9amEST and hadn't eaten properly most of the day and it was about 5:30amEST when we got our dinner. Who knows, but I'm fine now and Qantas FAs were fantastic and got me some pajamas from first class and no one brought it up again except to ask how I was feeling...to which I always answered great, and the FAs all came by and made sure I was ok, saying at the end of the trip that I wasn't shades of green anymore, but had my color back. Never in my life...lol.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Who knows, but I'm fine now and Qantas FAs were fantastic and got me some pajamas from first class and no one brought it up again except to ask how I was feeling...to which I always answered great, and the FAs all came by and made sure I was ok, saying at the end of the trip that I wasn't shades of green anymore, but had my color back. Never in my life...lol.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:28 pm

LOL no pun intended I swear
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
I had taken a short trip to Hong Kong from Japan, where I was living at the time. The first night I had far too much to drink and ended up sleeping on a park bench in Kowloon. Anyway, after I got back to the hotel in the morning I went straight to bed, still with a shocking hangover.

Housekeeping came knocking and eventually woke me up. In a dazed state and forgetting where I was I tried to explain in Japanese I didn't need the room cleaning. I couldn't understand why the maid couldn't understand me until I realized that I was in Hong Kong, the maid was probably Filipina and English would have been fine!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
My most embarassing moments have involved a bathroom emergency.

I've had my share of leaving keys behind, gone to wrong gate, forget something at hotel, airport, etc. But ultimately, the worst moment have been bathroom situations. My apologies for any visual you might get.

One time in particular, I had an incident at the MGM in Vegas, I called maintenance, and within minutes a couple of guys came over, they had the equipment and everything, upon arrival and seeing what was wrong, they called their dispatch and mentioned code TOF (toilet overflow). We were spending the weekend with others who happened to be staying across the hallway from our room and they heard the whole thing. All weekend long I kept hearing "We have a TOF situation here".

On another occasion, I was flying ATA ORD-SJU prior 9/11, after an hour or so in the flight, I had the urge, as I made my way to the bathroom I passed gas. Once In the bathroom, I noticed that there was no more TP, I checked the cabinets and nothing, the only thing available was just the napkin, which is not "strong" enough for the purpose. I double checked around and could not find any TP. I pressed the call button, and the FA knocked on the door and I mentioned that I had no TP. She apologized and brought a roll over. I finished up and went to my seat, for the rest of the flight I kept getting free drinks. Upon arrival to SJU and waiting for luggage, I overheard other passengers referring to me in Spanish (I'm bilingual), about my incident.

Since that moment, I've always made it a point to always go to the bathroom and to bring my own TP.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Were they talking about you because of the passed gas or the call for TP. I find it hard to believe the whole flight would be talking about you because the FA brought TP to the loo. That is nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.