Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Guess no. 2

AeroMexico, DC-8-51, calling at New York and Miami
4. Very close, sir, although the airline in question had a slightly different name at this time and the first stop was not made in New York City.

And I see that jrl767 has weighed in on this one.....
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
4- how about FCO-Madrid (MAD)-MIA-MEX via Aeronaves de Mexico
4. Correct! Here's the sched....

AM 451: Rome (FCO) 13:45 - 14:45 Madrid (MAD) 15:45 - 19:05 Miami (MIA) 20:05 - 21:35 Mexico City (MEX)
Freq: Wednesdays and Saturdays only
Equip: "SUPER DC-8C FAN JET"
Note: No local traffic FCO-MAD & FCO-MIA
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. It's a late winter day in Calgary and you need to travel to Seattle. There is no nonstop service from YYC to SEA at this time; however, you have found a convenient flight that departs at 9:00 am and arrives just after high noon. One stop will be made and you'll be served breakfast en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.
11- although I was living in Lancaster CA at this time, I was still an avid OAG peruser for flights to and from SEA

I seem to recall that Pacific Western briefly ran a 767-200 between SEA and Vancouver (YVR), so it would not surprise me at all if the flight actually originated in YYC

14. The meeting with the CEO and company owner in Spokane was excellent! In fact, he has invited you to fly with him on board his new Dassault Falcon 50 business trijet back to Omaha for contract execution. ... Now it's time to celebrate and so you make a phone call...."So where are you and where's the boat?" "Hey buddy!" says a familiar voice, "We just docked the cat at the marina in Laguna Beach! The girls will join us tomorrow morning and we'll then set sail up the coast to Santa Barbara! Think you can make it down here tonight?" Well, of course you can! There's a direct flight departing OMA at 6:04 pm which will get you into the closest airport to Laguna Beach just before 9 pm with two intermediate stops being made. Identify the airline, both stops, the aircraft type and the airport you will arrive into in southern California.
14- Orange County (SNA) noise limitations meant this flight was probably a 737-300 or MD-80 ... America West and United would be good candidates for a 733, but I can’t think of where they might have stopped between OMA and their hubs (Phoenix and Denver respectively) ... as for MadDogs, TWA had a few flights out of St. Louis that served two SoCal destinations but I seem to recall SNA being the first stop; more significantly, TW didn’t make a habit of geographic backtracking, and OMA is of course west of STL ... similarly I can’t place AA doing DFW-XXX-SNA

so ... I’ll posit a Frontier MD-80 via Denver (DEN) and Las Vegas (LAS)

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 27, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
7. It's spring time in Minneapolis/St. Paul in 1974 and it's still cold outside. So how about a trip to a warm weather destination? Such as Miami? You call your friends in Coral Gables and they remind you they are having a big dinner party to celebrate their respective birthdays the next evening and hope you can make it. So you reserve a flight in first class that will depart MSP at 6:25 am and arrive into MIA at 1:50 pm with three stops being made en route. What airline will you be flying on, what are the three stops in order and what is the aircraft type?
Braniff through Omaha, Kansas City, and New Orleans using I believe a 727-100, but it could have been a 727-200 as they could then use the planes on their service to South America.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Many thanks to jlemon for yet another titillating collection of teasers. Knowing firsthand the amount of time and effort that go into researching, formulating and finally responding to these questions, I am doubly appreciative. Thanks again, JL! ^

6. If you wanted to fly out of Fort St. John, B.C. on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1973 what air carrier would you call?

This sounds like Pacific Western country, so let's go with PW

11. It's a late winter day in Calgary and you need to travel to Seattle. There is no nonstop service from YYC to SEA at this time; however, you have found a convenient flight that departs at 9:00 am and arrives just after high noon. One stop will be made and you'll be served breakfast en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

I was gonna stick with PW via YVR until I saw 1985. Had they merged with Canadian by then? Instead, let's go with Horizon flying an old West Coast Airlines route between Calgary and Spokane, continuing on to Seattle. Aircraft might be one of Horizon's recently acquired Fokker F.28s. If not, assuming Horizon is correct, we all know what the alternative would be - and it wasn't the Swearingen.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

11- although I was living in Lancaster CA at this time, I was still an avid OAG peruser for flights to and from SEA

I seem to recall that Pacific Western briefly ran a 767-200 between SEA and Vancouver (YVR), so it would not surprise me at all if the flight actually originated in YYC

14- Orange County (SNA) noise limitations meant this flight was probably a 737-300 or MD-80 ... America West and United would be good candidates for a 733, but I can’t think of where they might have stopped between OMA and their hubs (Phoenix and Denver respectively) ... as for MadDogs, TWA had a few flights out of St. Louis that served two SoCal destinations but I seem to recall SNA being the first stop; more significantly, TW didn’t make a habit of geographic backtracking, and OMA is of course west of STL ... similarly I can’t place AA doing DFW-XXX-SNA

so ... I’ll posit a Frontier MD-80 via Denver (DEN) and Las Vegas (LAS)

11. Correct! Here's the sched.....

PW 701: Calgary (YYC) 9:00a - 9:20a Vancouver (YVR) 11:45a - 12:25p Seattle (SEA)
Freq: YYC-YVR except Saturdays and Sundays; YVR-SEA except Saturdays
Equip: B767-200

Meal service: Breakfast YYC-YVR

Note the long layover time at Vancouver....

14. You're almost there as Frontier operating an MD-80 is correct! However, this flight did not stop at Las Vegas and I shall also leave you to guess whether Denver was the first or second stop.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 27, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Braniff through Omaha, Kansas City, and New Orleans using I believe a 727-100, but it could have been a 727-200 as they could then use the planes on their service to South America.
7. Braniff International is correct! Here's the sched.....

BN 259: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 6:25a - 7:18a Omaha (OMA) 7:43a - 8:20a Kansas City (MCI) 9:15a - 10:50a New Orleans (MSY) 11:20a - 1:50p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Daily
Equip: 727
Meal services: Breakfast MSP-OMA, Snack OMA-MCI, Lunch MSY-MIA
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

6. If you wanted to fly out of Fort St. John, B.C. on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra in 1973 what air carrier would you call?

This sounds like Pacific Western country, so let's go with PW

I was gonna stick with PW via YVR until I saw 1985. Had they merged with Canadian by then? Instead, let's go with Horizon flying an old West Coast Airlines route between Calgary and Spokane, continuing on to Seattle. Aircraft might be one of Horizon's recently acquired Fokker F.28s. If not, assuming Horizon is correct, we all know what the alternative would be - and it wasn't the Swearingen.
6. It sure does sound like Pacific Western, doesn't it? However, it was another airline so please guess again, sir!

11. Ah, I would have stayed with Pacific Western! And please see my response to jrl767 above with regard to his guess concerning this one.....
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. It's still 1974. You thoroughly enjoyed your visit with friends in Coral Gables and are now in New York City on business. The meeting has gone well and then you are told you will need to make the same presentation in Tokyo in order to get the contract approved. So you book a flight to Tokyo. As you take your seat in first class the next day, the flight attendant greets you: "Welcome on board The Sun Racer, sir! And just to let you know, we are expecting an on time arrival in Tokyo following our one stop en route. Now let me hang up your jacket as you settle in and I'll be right back to take your beverage order. Thanks for flying with us on The Sun Racer today!" Identify the airline that operated this flight named "The Sun Racer" as well as the airport in the NYC area it departed from along with the equipment and the one intermediate stop.

Well, we're dealing with Pan Am, Northwest or Japan Air Lines here. I don't think I ever heard of a name associated with any of PA or NW's flights in the jet age (a la NA's The Biscayne or AA's The Mercury), and though it's not based on any real knowledge of such, I'm going to go with Japan Air Lines by default. Back in the 1970s JAL seemingly had more planes at Anchorage International each day than Alaska Airlines if only because all of JAL's European flights refueled at ANC in each direction. In 1974 I'm thinking JAL was running a DC-8-62 out of New York. It seemed like quite a long time before the DC-8 was eventually replaced by a DC-10-40.

1. It's a clear but chilly spring morning in 1962 at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) as you prepare to board your flight in first class for a trip to Montreal. Four stops will be made by this flight and lunch followed by dinner will be served on board. Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made and the aircraft type.

Not too many options when it comes to YVR-YUL flights in the early 1960s. I'm going to go with Trans Canada operating a Vanguard routing Vancouver - Calgary - Saskatoon - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Continuing on with the 1980's.....

The next five quiz items have a time line of 1985.....

16. This airline was operating Pan Am Express service with Convair 580 equipment nonstop between one major airport in the U.S. and four domestic destinations. The aircraft were not painted in Pan Am Express livery but retained the livery of the air carrier which operated the service. Identify this airline and the major U.S. airport served by these Pan Am Express flights. ANSWERED

17. Name an airline that was operating Alaska Airlines Commuter Service with jet equipment at this time and also identify the aircraft type. ANSWERED

18. It's a very cold day in late winter in Fairbanks. You've been up on the North Slope of Alaska on business and have stopped in Fairbanks on your way back to the Lower 48 in order to visit with a friend prior to flying to your next destination which will be Miami. Of course, there are no nonstop flights from FAI to MIA so you have decided that your best course of action will be to make one connection. The good news is that you will be on the same airline for your entire journey. In fact, both flights will be operated with the exact same type of aircraft. You will depart from Fairbanks in the evening and make one intermediate stop en route to your connecting city where you will have a leisurely two hours and 34 minutes to make the connection. You will then fly nonstop to Miami. Identify the airline, the location of the stop the first flight will make, the connecting airport and the same aircraft type operated on both flights. ANSWERED

19. It's a beautiful spring day in Toronto as you prepare to board your flight to Vancouver. You've elected to travel on board a flight that will make four intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment.

20. You are back in Minneapolis/St. Paul and need to travel to Huntsville, Alabama in order to attend a symposium at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Ah, here's a convenient flight departing MSP at lunch time which will get you into HSV in time for dinner. Two stops will be made and you'll have on board snack service not once but twice. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft type.

21. It's 1986 and you are in Van Nuys where your breakfast meeting with a new client has just successfully concluded. You are now off to Milwaukee for a business dinner that same evening. Now you were planning to drive down Interstate 405 to LAX and catch a flight....but wait! There's a flight departing from Burbank just before 11 am that will get you into Milwaukee just after 5 pm. One stop will be made en route and better yet a first class window seat is available! Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

And into the 1990's......

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1991.......

22. Well, you thought your business meeting in Morristown, New Jersey concerning negotiation of a new contract would last most of the day and you would then possibly be able to catch a nonstop flight from Newark to San Francisco that same evening (in first class, of course). However, shortly after coffee was served, the new contract document arrived as well.....already signed! So you are now in the back seat of the limo thoughtfully provided by your new client heading down the Route 24 freeway in the general direction of EWR. Traffic is not too bad and you figure you will arrive at the terminal around 10:30 am. And you also think there should be a nonstop from EWR to SFO departing around 12 noon or during the early afternoon, right? Wrong. Upon arrival at Newark Airport at 10:20 am, you find the next nonstop flight to San Francisco (which just happens to be operated by Continental with an A300) will not depart until 5:25 pm. Now there's got to be a better and quicker way.....and there is. You discover a one stop direct flight departing EWR just after high noon which will get you into SFO before 5 pm. And at the check in desk for this flight, you are offered an upgrade to first class. You're in! Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

23. It's been a great ski trip in Vail, Colorado but it's time to get back to work. And once again you are headed to San Francisco. You are booked on a nonstop flight to SFO from the Eagle County Airport (EGE) which departs at high noon. Name the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

24. What a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Montego Bay! You've just assisted in delivering a 54 foot catamaran to a tour company and are now getting ready for a quick snorkel swim followed by cocktails and dinner with local friends. And then the phone rings....."Hey buddy, can you meet me Monday morning at the Berkeley Marina in the S.F. Bay Area? I've found the sailboat our guy in Maui is looking to purchase and we need to move on it very quickly!" Well, at least your plans for the evening are intact.....and after a bit of research you find you will have some time for fun the next morning as well. You will depart from Montego Bay on Sunday afternoon on board a long nonstop flight. You will then connect to another airline for a very short nonstop flight to your final destination which just happens to be the airport located the least distance from the Berkeley Marina. You will also have exactly one hour to make your interline connection. Identify both airlines, the connecting airport, the two different aircraft types you'll be flying on and the airport you will arrive into at your final destination. Please see posts # 14151 and # 14159 for updates concerning this one

The next three quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1993......

25. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to London Stansted Airport on board a jet, what airline would you call and what kind of aircraft would you be flying on? ANSWERED

26. Two airlines were offering daily nonstop service from Palma, Mallorca Island (PMI) to London Heathrow. Name both air carriers and the different aircraft types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

27. Only one airline was operating nonstop jet service from Jersey (JER) in the Channel Islands to Luton Airport near London. Name this air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1999.....

28. You've just wrapped up an early afternoon meeting in Oak Forest, Illinois and are now ready to head to Los Angeles. Now you could drive over to Chicago O'Hare and catch a nonstop.....but Chicago Midway is just right up the road via state route 50 and you've discovered a one stop flight offering first class departing MDW for LAX in the late afternoon. Perfect! Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

29. What was the largest aircraft type being operated nonstop from Chicago O'Hare to Las Vegas at this time and what airline operated it? Please be very specific concerning the equipment.

30. If you wanted to fly on board an MD-90 nonstop to Oklahoma City at this time, what airline would you call and what airport would you depart from? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 30, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. It's still 1974. You thoroughly enjoyed your visit with friends in Coral Gables and are now in New York City on business. The meeting has gone well and then you are told you will need to make the same presentation in Tokyo in order to get the contract approved. So you book a flight to Tokyo. As you take your seat in first class the next day, the flight attendant greets you: "Welcome on board The Sun Racer, sir! And just to let you know, we are expecting an on time arrival in Tokyo following our one stop en route. Now let me hang up your jacket as you settle in and I'll be right back to take your beverage order. Thanks for flying with us on The Sun Racer today!" Identify the airline that operated this flight named "The Sun Racer" as well as the airport in the NYC area it departed from along with the equipment and the one intermediate stop.

Well, we're dealing with Pan Am, Northwest or Japan Air Lines here. I don't think I ever heard of a name associated with any of PA or NW's flights in the jet age (a la NA's The Biscayne or AA's The Mercury), and though it's not based on any real knowledge of such, I'm going to go with Japan Air Lines by default. Back in the 1970s JAL seemingly had more planes at Anchorage International each day than Alaska Airlines if only because all of JAL's European flights refueled at ANC in each direction. In 1974 I'm thinking JAL was running a DC-8-62 out of New York. It seemed like quite a long time before the DC-8 was eventually replaced by a DC-10-40.

1. It's a clear but chilly spring morning in 1962 at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) as you prepare to board your flight in first class for a trip to Montreal. Four stops will be made by this flight and lunch followed by dinner will be served on board. Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made and the aircraft type.

Not too many options when it comes to YVR-YUL flights in the early 1960s. I'm going to go with Trans Canada operating a Vanguard routing Vancouver - Calgary - Saskatoon - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal
1. Trans-Canada (TCA) operating a Vickers Vanguard is correct! However, this flight did not stop at Calgary or Saskatoon so please guess again concerning the routing.

8. Japan Air Lines (JAL) is
correct! However, you did not identify the airport this flight departed from....but what the heck, I think all of the flights to Asia from New York departed from JFK back then. So here's the sched.....

JL 5: New York Kennedy (JFK) 2:00p - 4:35p Anchorage (ANC) 5:35p - 7:10p Tokyo Haneda (HND)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Super DC-8-62
Note: No local traffic JFK-ANC

BTW, the daily JAL flight from Tokyo to New York via Anchorage was named "The New Yorker".

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:47 pm Reason: additional info
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:44 pm

25. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to London Stansted Airport on board a jet, what airline would you call and what kind of aircraft would you be flying on?
Air UK, Fokker 100
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:48 pm

27. Only one airline was operating nonstop jet service from Jersey (JER) in the Channel Islands to Luton Airport near London. Name this air carrier and the equipment.
Jersey European Airways, BAe 146
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trans-Canada (TCA) operating a Vickers Vanguard is correct! However, this flight did not stop at Calgary or Saskatoon so please guess again concerning the routing.

Hmm... well then, how about Vancouver - Edmonton - Winnipeg - Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal, eh?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Air UK, Fokker 100
25. Correct! Air UK (UK) was operating four flights every weekday with Fokker 100 equipment from CDG to London Stansted (STN) at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.