Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

12. A trip down to your local travel agency has rewarded you with the most recently expired OAG from early 1986. As you excitedly peruse the pages, you are surprised to discover that it’s still possible to fly aboard a Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle – departing from a U.S. airport no less. Identify the airline, origin and destination of this rare Caravelle flight.
This flight operates to a Caribbean destination, but not Santo Domingo

13. It used to be that Boeing 707s were a common sight across the azure blue waters of the Caribbean. By 1986 however, just one airline still flies the venerable 707 between the U.S. and a Caribbean destination. The flight departs New York’s JFK each Saturday morning at 9:00am, flying nonstop to its destination. Identify the airline and the Caribbean destination served.
HINT: The airline was named after the island it flew to/from
12. I have absolutely no idea.....

13. Wild guess time: Dominicana de Aviacion (although this airline name refers to the D.R., of course, and thus not to the island of Hispaniola)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
12. A trip down to your local travel agency has rewarded you with the most recently expired OAG from early 1986. As you excitedly peruse the pages, you are surprised to discover that it’s still possible to fly aboard a Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle – departing from a U.S. airport no less. Identify the airline, origin and destination of this rare Caravelle flight.
This flight operates to a Caribbean destination, but not Santo Domingo

13. It used to be that Boeing 707s were a common sight across the azure blue waters of the Caribbean. By 1986 however, just one airline still flies the venerable 707 between the U.S. and a Caribbean destination. The flight departs New York’s JFK each Saturday morning at 9:00am, flying nonstop to its destination. Identify the airline and the Caribbean destination served.

12. I have absolutely no idea.....
13. Wild guess time: Dominicana de Aviacion (although this airline name refers to the D.R., of course, and thus not to the island of Hispaniola)

Ooooo - you are soooo close! The Caravelle flew into an airport geographically just a few miles from Santo Domingo, and the name of the airline has been mentioned in relation to this group of quiz questions, just not specifically to the correct question. But again, you are sooooo close. As to question 13, the island in question is to the southeast of Hispaniola and is considerably smaller. Its name ends in a vowel.

Now finish these off so we won't have to pester WHBM with a page.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA
The Caravelle flew into an airport geographically just a few miles from Santo Domingo, and the name of the airline has been mentioned in relation to this group of quiz questions, just not specifically to the correct question.
Was the Caravelle either Hispaniola Airways or Aerotours Dominicana ? It was the same aircraft, just the one, an old Royal Air Maroc one, and likely the same business which just changed names around this time. Did they operate into Herrera airport, other side of the city to the main international one.

If I'm right, it was sold after a couple of years to Cubana. Some might question if Cubana ever had a Caravelle, so I'd better put up a picture
https://www.airlinefan.com/airline-p...velle/1980238/

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
13. ... the island in question is to the southeast of Hispaniola and is considerably smaller. Its name ends in a vowel.
13- how about Aruba
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by whbm
12. A trip down to your local travel agency has rewarded you with the most recently expired oag from early 1986. As you excitedly peruse the pages, you are surprised to discover that it’s still possible to fly aboard a sud aviation se-210 caravelle – departing from a u.s. Airport no less. Identify the airline, origin and destination of this rare caravelle flight.
this flight operates to a caribbean destination, but not santo domingo. the caravelle flew into an airport geographically just a few miles from santo domingo, and the name of the airline has been mentioned in relation to this group of quiz questions, just not specifically to the correct question.

Was the Caravelle either Hispaniola Airways or Aerotours Dominicana ? It was the same aircraft, just the one, an old Royal Air Maroc one, and likely the same business which just changed names around this time. Did they operate into Herrera Airport, other side of the city to the main international one.

Well it might have been more than just "a few miles" which i never would have said had i known there was another commercial airport on the other side of santo domingo. My bad. The airport i'm looking for is puerto plata (just 200 miles from SDQ, but perhaps just "a few" when looking at the Caribbean as a whole ), and the airline as you've correctly mentioned is Hispaniola. Here's the schedule:

Hispaniola Airways ZS 301 Miami (MIA) 300p-500p Puerto Plata (POP) Caravelle
Operates: Mo We Fr Su
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

How about Aruba?

Nope. The island in question begins with a consonant and ends in a vowel. It has three syllables. Can't make it much easier than this.
I need the name of the airline, not the island.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then - no more new questions. These are all that're left...

. It’s 1988 and you live in Boca Raton, Florida. One afternoon you come across an ad in your Sunday newspaper’s Travel Section for an airline offering great fares and nonstop flights five times weekly between nearby Ft. Lauderdale and Antigua. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon from Ft. Lauderdale to Antigua.
HINT: The aircraft was built by Boeing and this airline also offered a couple of flights out of New York

2. In the "Good Old Days" United used to operate nonstop DC-8 Jet Mainliner service between Los Angeles and Milwaukee. In early 1986 however, nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Milwaukee are nonexistent. United’s one-stopper through Denver is sold out, so you’ve booked yourself on a two stop flight aboard one of the new crop of airlines that sprung up after deregulation eight years ago. It departs LA at 11:30 am and arrives Milwaukee with plenty of time for dinner with your cousins. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.
HINT: On second thought, no hint. You guys are too smart to not have a good idea of this one

4. Back in the good old days, if you wanted to get from Indianapolis to Ft. Myers, Florida you just called Eastern and hopped on a "Whisperliner" via Atlanta. All of the flights offered First Class back then, too. Now in 1998 there's a local Indianapolis based airline but they are an all-economy class operation. How gauche! Thankfully one airline flies nonstop from Indy to Ft. Myers that still offers First Class. You call them and book a First Class seat on the afternoon departure. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

5. In 1981 this U.S. airline’s complete time table shows a total of 28 flights, all of them operating in one direction or another between just two cities with one jet aircraft type. Identify the airline and the equipment it operates.

7. A thorough perusal of the 1973 North American OAG revealed just three airlines that operated the Hawker Siddeley 748. Which ones were they?
LIAT and AeroMexico have been identified
C'mon, you guys - surely you must have a strong suspicion on this

9. You just got a call from an old college roommate to ask if you could make it out to the Grand Opening celebration of his new guitar shop San Francisco. Well sure, why not?! When is it? Saturday evening at 6:00pm. Right on! A quick check of the March 1988 schedules reveals two airlines offering nonstop service from Kansas City to SFO, one of which offers First Class, the other only coach. You quickly book a First Class seat to San Francisco departing on Saturday morning. Identify the airline as well as the aircraft type to be flown.
It's not Eastern

10. You live in Montreal and want to take your family to Disney World sometime in early 1986. Although Miami and Tampa have always been well served with nonstop flights from Montreal, Orlando has not. Thank goodness your travel agent managed to book you all in First Class on a direct one-stop flight to Orlando. Unfortunately, it departs from way out at Mirabel International Airport. Surely you know the drill by now: Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
It's not Nationair. Nor is it flown by a McDonnell Douglas built aircraft

A N S W E R E D

14. It’s early 1986 and you’re ready for some fun in Las Vegas. Although you usually fly out of Detroit aboard one of the major airlines, this time you’ve booked yourself a direct one stop flight to Vegas aboard an airline that you’ve never heard of. As an added bonus, you’ve splurged and booked a seat in First Class. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

19. Awright now, here’s your challenge: It’s 1998. You live in Montreal, Quebec and you want to fly to Los Angeles, California with all of the flights being aboard 4-engine jets. The problem is there just aren’t all that many 4-engine jets left flying around these big broad countries we live in. Even so, you’ve found a routing utilizing two airlines involving a single connection, although you will have to overnight at the connecting point. The flight to the connecting city has one enroute stop. Can you figure out the airlines, aircraft and the routing? I’m pretty sure it is the only way to fly all 4 engine jets between Montreal and LA.
HINT: The enroute stops are in North America. No 747s or A340s are involved. First Class is available on one of the airlines...

Bonus Trivia Question: What is the combined mileage of all of the taxiways and runways at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 16, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
14. It’s early 1986 and you’re ready for some fun in Las Vegas. Although you usually fly out of Detroit aboard one of the major airlines, this time you’ve booked yourself a direct one stop flight to Vegas aboard an airline that you’ve never heard of. As an added bonus, you’ve splurged and booked a seat in First Class. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
It's not Sun Country. Nor is a DC-10 involved.
OK, I'll take another stab at it. How about Republic Airlines on a DC-9?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear

OK, I'll take another stab at it. How about Republic Airlines on a DC-9?

Per the question it's an airline that "you've never heard of". That is in and of itself a fairly good hint as I should imagine by 1986 the majority of the traveling public in the Detroit area would have heard of Republic Airlines, which came into being with the 1979 merger of North Central Airlines and Southern Airways. So then, here's another hint: The airline we're looking for also had a couple of 707s in its fleet, though I believe those were used exclusively for charter work. Alright then, let's clear this one off the board! ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 15, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:14 am

Grenada Airways, running to the island of the same name, operating with a 707 leased from one of the grey-market charter operators at Miami, and typically flown by retired Pan Am crews.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/238356

If we dare to have a Bonus Question on this one, it wasn't the only 707 operated from the USA to Grenada in 1986. Any shots at the second one ?

10. You live in Montreal and want to take your family to Disney World sometime in early 1986. Although Miami and Tampa have always been well served with nonstop flights from Montreal, Orlando has not. Thank goodness your travel agent managed to book you all in First Class on a direct one-stop flight to Orlando. Unfortunately, it departs from way out at Mirabel International Airport. Surely you know the drill by now: Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
I'd like to say good old Wardair, but they ran very little from Mirabel. So what about Nationair on a Super DC8, operating via Tampa ?

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 16, 2018 at 12:42 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I’ve spent the last half hour or so perusing a map of the Caribbean and I can only find three islands that meet the criteria: Guadeloupe, Dominica, and Grenada

Guadeloupe is technically part of France, and Dominica has only a 5000-foot runway, so that leaves Grenada ... spitballing the airline’s name, how about Grenada Airways

EDIT: I see WHBM is at the Quiz early on a Sunday morning, and has also provided this answer while I was in researching-and-composing mode
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I’ve spent the last half hour or so perusing a map of the Caribbean and I can only find three islands that meet the criteria: Guadeloupe, Dominica, and Grenada

Guadeloupe is technically part of France, and Dominica has only a 5000-foot runway, so that leaves Grenada ... spitballing the airline’s name, how about Grenada Airways

EDIT: I see WHBM is at the Quiz early on a Sunday morning, and has also provided this answer while I was in researching-and-composing mode
Nope. The island in question begins with a consonant and ends in a vowel. It has three syllables. Can't make it much easier than this.
I need the name of the airline, not the island.

How about Jamaica and Air Jamaica.

Guad.el.uop.e and Do.min.ic.a have 4 syllables
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:00 am

EDIT: I see WHBM is at the Quiz early on a Sunday morning
Little Miss WHBM's early Sunday morning sporting activity class is thankfully on Christmas break ^
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
How about Jamaica and Air Jamaica.

Guad.el.uop.e and Do.min.ic.a have 4 syllables
that’s what I get for trying to answer the Quiz after my third rye whiskey concoction of the evening

but as long as we’re in “oops” mode, Jamaica is southWEST of the Dominican Republic
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

14. Ah....you say the operator in question had a couple of 707s strictly for charter work.....

Well then, let's go with Jet America operating an MD-80 via a stop at Chicago O'Hare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.