Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
53. The SEA-PDX route is served by just four airlines. Between them they operate seven different aircraft types on this route – however only one type offered between SEA and PDX is common to each of the four carriers. Please identify each of the four airlines that fly SEA-PDX and the single type of equipment common to each one on this route.

Wild guess time...... Northwest, Pan Am, United and Western all operating the Douglas DC-6B. I was going to guess the Boeing 720; however, I thought there might be a distinction between the 720 and the 720B.

Northwest, United and Western are correct! Pan Am was not offering service on domestic flights outside of Hawaii and Alaska at the time, though conditional stopover traffic may have been allowed. However, there are no PA flights reflected in the SEA-PDX schedules. Additionally, the DC-6 is not the aircraft we're looking for here.

As to differentiating between the 720 and the 720B -

I hope I haven't acquired a reputation for being that much of a nit-pick.

I will differentiate between the 707 and the 720 as well as a 727-100 and a 727-200. Heck - I'll even differentiate between a DC-8-62 and a -63. But between two aircraft of the exact same model designation (720) where both are utilizing the same sized fuselage - I see no difference for the purpose of answering a question such as this.

On the other hand, were the question more specific as to say - 720 operations utilizing one type of the other (Identify the only airline to operate the 720A into Spokane or even identify Caribbean based 707-138 operators vs. 707-227 operators), I would apply distinction.

In any event, we're we're still looking for one more airline here. The common aircraft amongst the four airlines - though not a DC-6 - might still be a 720 or possibly even something else. So then, as the saying goes - Please, guess again!

And please - stay well and safe amidst those rising flood waters...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
And don't forget the Ozark special cocktail! -- the Go-Getter.
What exactly was the "Go-Getter", miniliq?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
27. (1955) (The WHBM Special)If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?
Given the copious hints, I'll take another shot: Sao Paulo-Manaus on a Constellation. Perhaps the enroute stop was Rio.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st1575
27. (1955) (The WHBM Special)If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?
HINT: We're looking waay south of the border here...
HINT: The airline has been established as Brazil's REAL...
HINT: The American built aircraft was larger than a DC-3...
HINT: The flight operated entirely within one country...
HINT: The departure point was a major South American city. One stop was made enroute to a destination that currently has a population of over 2 million.
HINT: The departure city the largest Japanese city outside Japan, the largest Lebanese city outside Lebanon, the largest Portuguese city outside Portugal and the largest Italian city outside Italy
HINT: The destination city is surrounded by jungle and is the only major city in a 600 mile radius.

Given the copious hints, I'll take another shot: Sao Paulo-Manaus on a Constellation. Perhaps the enroute stop was Rio.

Right on, st1575! ^ Thanks for having the gumption to finish this one off! You'd think it had become taboo as the number of hints was fast approaching the level of ridiculous. I suspect our esteemed fellow participant WHBM knows the answer but is politely holding back in order to give you all a shot at addressing it. That said, I will be happy to increase the hints to hitherto unexplored realms of ridiculousity (is there actually such a word?!) if need be (Up to and including giving you 10 of the 11 letters of the stop over city if need be...) in order to get this question answered. So then...

You've got the origin and destination cities correct. However, the aircraft involved was not a Constellation. It was a bit smaller. Care to pull out your maps and have another go at the intermediate stop and the aircraft type? Go for it!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 14, 2016 at 4:15 am
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:12 am

84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.
Let's see if I can start this one:

• Pan Am, 707
  • Air France, Caravelle
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:30 am

I appreciate the continued encouragement, but I am extended far beyond my range on this one. Here is my best and final answer/guess:

Sao Paulo to Manaus via Campo Grande on a REAL Convair
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I appreciate the continued encouragement, but I am extended far beyond my range on this one. Here is my best and final answer/guess:

Campo Grande is correct! So then, we now know it's REAL flying from Sao Paulo to Manaus via Campo Grande. As to the aircraft, it was smaller than a Constellation and had four engines and round windows...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
four engines and round windows
That sounds like a DC-4, not that I actually know anything about the question. I didn't find any evidence that Real Transportes Aéreos ever owned any, but Aerovias Brasil, acquired by this time, did.

Last edited by kochleffel; Aug 14, 2016 at 3:10 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
That sounds like a DC-4, not that I actually know anything about the question. I didn't find any evidence that Real Transportes Aéreos ever owned any, but Aerovias Brasil, acquired by this time, did.
I believe it's a Real SA DC4 as well - there have been enough hints. For 1955, Real had merged Aerovias the year before, bringing two DC4s which lasted to 1960 by when they had started a Super Connie and then DC-6B replacement. Varig took them over following year.

Must say I've looked up a 1955 Real SA timetable (hence no answer before from me - no cheating ) and found no service to Manaus at all. The Real DC4s were likely also operating their service from Buenos Aires up through Brazil to Miami. By 1955 that was one long run in an unpressurised DC4.

On a separate matter has anyone heard from JL ? The flooding in Louisiana has made it to the BBC news this evening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37081934

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 15, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Campo Grande is correct! So then, we now know it's REAL flying from Sao Paulo to Manaus via Campo Grande. As to the aircraft, it was smaller than a Constellation and had four engines and round windows...

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Correct-o! The ad appears on REAL's page of the 1955 OAG and indicates the flights are flown with a DC-4. I'll see if I can post a picture of it in this space tomorrow.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
On a separate matter has anyone heard from JL ? The flooding in Louisiana has made it to the BBC news this evening.
I tried calling JL this morning but was unable to get through. Often the reasons for this are on our end, so I will try again tomorrow.

I've got a little over 8000 miles of flying coming up between now and Friday as I wing it down to Florida for a quick get together with an old friend on the Gulf Coast. All flights to and from have cleared the upgrade lists, so I'm looking forward to a comfortable journey aboard a quartet of 737-900ERs.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

On a separate matter has anyone heard from JL ? The flooding in Louisiana has made it to the BBC news this evening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37081934
Good Morning All,

This is the first time I've been able to check e-mails since Friday evening and my last post. As you may recall, I had received about nine and half inches of precip in my rain gauge at our home and it was still raining heavily. That night, we received another ten plus inches of rain.

I awoke Saturday morning at 7 am to find our big backyard was missing. There was a lake there instead with water lapping at the foundations of our home. And the water was still rising. I got Lady K up and we then started moving what furniture we could upstairs and also getting other stuff up off of the floors as high as possible. However, the flood overtook our efforts and by 8 am the water was inside our home and still rising. At that point, I got Lady K, our little pup Miss Bella and our new cat Rescue into her car and told her to get the heck out of there and head to her Mom's house which is located on higher ground. This she did and she was able to get out safely as our street was already flooding. I then had three more vehicles to move up to higher ground (which thankfully was not too far away), wading back to our home each time. I then continued to save what I could in the house. By 9 am, there was a foot of water in our home and the water was still rising. It was too dangerous to stay so I waded back to where the cars were and made my way to Lady K's Mom's house.

We have taken a very big hit here with significant damage to our home. The water receded enough to drain out of the house by late Saturday afternoon; however, we then flooded a second time that evening as the water backed up in the local river which runs through Lafayette thus causing more flooding in the watercourse in our back yard. At one point, the river actually reversed course and was running upstream due to torrential rains downstream. However, we are all safe and for that I am very, very thankful.

We are now in the recovery process. With the help of a bunch of very good friends and family, we have moved everything out of the ground floor and have also begun removing drywall and insulation. Kate's younger brother, his buddy and yours truly are removing the drywall and insulation ourselves. We are about two thirds the way through with this process and will try to complete this task later today. We also have homeowners as well as flood insurance. We will get through this.

So I will be taking a break from participating in the OTAQ&D for a bit as we continue our recovery effort (I also lost several OAGs to the flood but that is a very small matter). I'll also check in from time to time and let everyone know our progress.

Until then, wishing everyone safe travels.

jlemon
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good Morning backatcha, JL!

Thank goodness you're all safe! Our collective prayers and thoughts are with you, Lady K, your family and friends as you struggle to recover from this devastating flood. Lache pas la patate. ^
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.

Let's see if I can start this one:
  • Pan Am, 707
  • Air France, Caravelle

My preference is that if the question calls for a four part answer, please try to provide one. The challenge is in knowing all four airlines. And like I've said before, if you're wrong - so what? Nobody's keeping score.

In any event, here we are with at least a start on a question that has engendered exactly zero interest this far.

Pan Am's 707 and Air France's Caravelle are two excellent choices that are indeed correct!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1965

53. The SEA-PDX route is served by just four airlines. Between them they operate seven different aircraft types on this route – however only one type offered between SEA and PDX is common to each of the four carriers. Please identify each of the four airlines that fly SEA-PDX and the single type of equipment common to each one on this route.
HINT: WA, UA and NW have been identified. We're looking for one more airline and the common aircraft type...

56. We’re going to Vegas, Baby! Four airlines offer nonstop service on the SFO-LAS route. Amongst the total of six nonstop flights offered are aircraft built by four different American manufacturers. Of the four airlines, two operate the same aircraft type from one manufacturer; another operates flights with two aircraft from two more different manufacturers, while the fourth airline operates a single flight with an aircraft from a fourth manufacturer, Identify each airline and match it up with the aircraft it flies on this route.
HINT: Four airlines, four different aircraft manufacturers, four different aircraft types - one of them duplicated by two airlines. What's so hard about that for a bunch of pros like you?

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1968

60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.
A N S W E R E D

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1969

79. This airline claimed to be the “Pride of Scandinavia
HINT: It operated jets

A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 18, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.