Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Greetings from snowy Boston. While I await my southbound 737-700, let's check in with a couple of hopefully correct answers...

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jlemon

11) It's 1984 and you are in New York City. You receive a message requesting your presence for a business meeting in the west of Ireland. You ascertain that Shannon (SNN) is the closest airport with international service to your Irish destination. And you also learn there is one airline operating JFK-SNN nonstop flights with a very interesting four engine jetliner that you've always wanted to fly on. Identify the airline and the equipment it flew on the route.

This is about the time Arrow Air and Rich International were flying, and they both flew DC-8-62s. I seem to recall Rich International serving Europe for a short time, but I thought it was with L-1011s. Still, I consider the DC-8-62 a rare bird than the L-1011 so I'm gonna go with Rich with a DC-8-62.

18) Also at this same time, one airline was flying daily nonstop mainline jet service on the short hop from John Wayne Airport (SNA) to Burbank (BUR). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.

This sounds like Alaska Airlines, flying with an MD-80.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

11) It's 1984 and you are in New York City. You receive a message requesting your presence for a business meeting in the west of Ireland. You ascertain that Shannon (SNN) is the closest airport with international service to your Irish destination. And you also learn there is one airline operating JFK-SNN nonstop flights with a very interesting four engine jetliner that you've always wanted to fly on. Identify the airline and the equipment it flew on the route.
This is way outside my area of knowledge, so have mercy. Transamerica (TV) had DC-8-63CF service JFK-SNN, and as far as I can figure out, they used the DC-8-63CF in an all-economy configuration. According to one source, one of the 63CFs had at one time had been used in an all-first class configuration (to Australia). Does your interest in it have to do with the configuration, or the fact that many of the 63CFs were upgraded to 73CF? (or none of the above -- as I said, have mercy).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Greetings from snowy Boston. While I await my southbound 737-700, let's check in with a couple of hopefully correct answers...
Excellent guesses concerning 11) and 19)!

However......

If time permits, highly recommend you head over to the Legal Seafoods location at BOS, grab an ice cold microbrew and then guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 10, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'd love to but it's a bit overpriced. I'm drinking free Sam Adams (which I actually quite like) right here in the United Club and dang! I thought fer sure that was Alaska on SNA-BUR. Okay then, how about an old timer with a new name on that route - Continental West with a 737-300.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
This is way outside my area of knowledge, so have mercy. Transamerica (TV) had DC-8-63CF service JFK-SNN, and as far as I can figure out, they used the DC-8-63CF in an all-economy configuration. According to one source, one of the 63CFs had at one time had been used in an all-first class configuration (to Australia). Does your interest in it have to do with the configuration, or the fact that many of the 63CFs were upgraded to 73CF? (or none of the above -- as I said, have mercy).
11) Our man in the Crescent City is correct! It was Transamerica Airlines (TV) operating a re-engined, stretched DC-8-73 which in their timetable at the time they referred to as the "Super-73". Here are the scheds.....

TV 302: Dep. JFK 8:00pm, Arr. SNN 7:00am
Op: Fridays only

TV 303: Dep. SNN 2:00pm, Arr. JFK 4:00pm
Op: Saturdays only
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd love to but it's a bit overpriced. I'm drinking free Sam Adams (which I actually quite like) right here in the United Club and dang! I thought fer sure that was Alaska on SNA-BUR. Okay then, how about an old timer with a new name on that route - Continental West with a 737-300.
19) Time for another ice cold Sam Adams, sir, at the United Club at IAD as well as another guess! It was another airline!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:16 pm Reason: IAD beer update...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
21) Once again during the Christmas of 1989, three different airlines were operating jet service into Val-d'Or, Quebec (YVO). Each air carrier was flying a different aircraft type, none of which was a regional jet. Identify all three airlines and the respective jet aircraft they operated into YVO.
Flush with success, I'll venture an answer to this one. I'm fairly certain that two of the carriers were Air Canada (AC) with a DC-9, and Canadian (CP) with a 737. For the third, I'll try Inter-Canadien (codesharing under a CP flight number) with a Fokker F100 -- but I'm not sure if that falls in your definition of a regional jet.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Flush with success, I'll venture an answer to this one. I'm fairly certain that two of the carriers were Air Canada (AC) with a DC-9, and Canadian (CP) with a 737. For the third, I'll try Inter-Canadien (codesharing under a CP flight number) with a Fokker F100 -- but I'm not sure if that falls in your definition of a regional jet.
Well, I've never really considered the Fokker 100 as being a regional jet. I also recall that both American and USAir operated the airplane with mainline flight crews so I believe one could justify the F100 as being a mainline aircraft although obviously on the small end of the equipment spectrum.

However, then again, perhaps the F100's predecessor, being the Fokker F28 Fellowship (especially the smaller series 1000 version) could justifiably be thought of as being a regional jet (although the term "regional jet" had yet to come into vogue back then).

All subject to debate, of course, so let's get back to your responses concerning quiz item 21):

Air Canada (AC) with DC-9-30 equipment - correct!

Canadian Airlines (CP) with B737-200 equipment - correct!

Inter-Canadien operating with a CP flight number - please guess again!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL, AA
16) What airline was flying nonstop Fokker F28 Fellowship service at this time between Ottawa (YOW) and New York (JFK)?
Not being an expert on airlines in the NE United States I had to have more than a couple of Samuel Adams for this question; after using all my lifelines my answer is Pilgrim.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA
19) Also at this same time, one airline was flying daily nonstop mainline jet service on the short hop from John Wayne Airport (SNA) to Burbank (BUR). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.
If I recall correctly, American had a bunch of weird tag on flights on the west coast. My answer would be American, MD-80
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
Not being an expert on airlines in the NE United States I had to have more than a couple of Samuel Adams for this question; after using all my lifelines my answer is Pilgrim.
Yes, indeed, a cold beer can be quite helpful at times! Especially if it's a quality microbrewed IPA, Porter or Stout!

16) Correct! Pilgrim Airlines (PM) was flying three round trips a day between Ottawa (YOW) and New York (JFK) with the Fokker F28 Fellowship. A reduced schedule was operated on the weekends with Fokker F27 turboprops filling in for the F28 twinjet.

And it appears that Pilgrim may have actually operated only one F28 in its fleet although I've been unable to confirm this.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm Reason: spelling....
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
If I recall correctly, American had a bunch of weird tag on flights on the west coast. My answer would be American, MD-80
19) And your answer would be correct as it was indeed good old American. Here's the sched.....

AA 609: ORD-SNA-BUR-ORD
Op: Daily
Equip: MD-80

A wild weather night here in south Louisiana as a stronger than forecast cold front moved through the LFT area earlier this evening with a squall line featuring a rather vociferous thunderstorm locally....and lightning hit a power pole quite close to our home thus knocking out the electricity for an extended period of time.

Thus the delay with my response......and now back to my properly chilled IPA!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19) And your answer would be correct as it was indeed good old American.

Good! cuz I wuz onna go wit Err Cal 733 after all them birs.

Now I'm in San Francisco enjoying a delicious Sierra Nevada Pale Ale while awaiting my northbound 737-900 up to Seattle. Off to the coast through heavy rains tomorrow to watch the playoffs. I can't be in Washington State for the Broncos game because they've never won when I've watched from there. It's the Oregon coast for me
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good! cuz I wuz onna go wit Err Cal after all them birs.
Ah, Seat 2A, there have been times in my life when I have resembled that remark.......

And I have the feeling that quite a few beers will be consumed before, during and after the playoff games today......
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I can attest that my wife -- proudly sporting her Seahawks #12 "FAN" jersey -- savored a pair of Abita Turbodog brews while my son (in #29) and I (sans jersey, but with shirt of appropriate colors) dispatched a number of the Pacific Northwest's finest (Henry Weinhard brown ale and Pike Place IPA, respectively)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.