Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. Lafayette, Indiana (LAF) and Lafayette, Louisiana (LFT) were each served by a single full service airline operating just a single aircraft type into each airport. Identify the airline that served each airport and the specific aircraft type that it served that airport with.

Excellent answer and commentary from jlemon. Texas International served Lafayette, Louisiana with the Convair 600 whilst Lafayette, Indiana was the sole province of Allegheny and its Convair 580.

These days, Lafayette, Louisiana continues to be served by American Eagle, Delta Connection and United Express while Purdue University Airport in Lafayette, Indiana has become a general aviation facility. I have travelled there often over the years and either fly into Indianapolis, 57 miles to the south, or I ride in on Amtrak's Cardinal or Hoosier State from Chicago.
BTW, Purdue University is in West Fafayette, IN, not Lafayette. It's also the county seat, with a very nice courthouse buidling.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
15. Name the two airlines that operated all economy class configured 727-200s between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by jlemon
MSPeconomist correctly answered PSA with regard to all coach B727-200 service being operated between SFO and LAX. I believe the other air carrier with all coach 72S service on the route at this time was United and the class of service was designated as K.

That's right. United used to operate all-economy class 727-200s on a variety if California Intra-State routes. My intra-state experience on United came via DC-8s on the LAX-FAT-SFO route as well as a multi-stop 737-200 between SFO and LAX stopping at SCK, MCE and VIS along the way. I can't imagine why anyone would want to fly nonstop between SFO and LAX when United offered enticing routings like this.

BTW, when I was quite a bit younger, I flew PSA a number of times between SFO and LAX on board the stretch 727. And I always noticed how beautiful most of the young lady flight attendants were! Talk about California girls!

Indeed. Aisle seats were considered premium seating aboard those 1970s PSA flights!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, Purdue University is in West Fafayette, IN, not Lafayette. It's also the county seat, with a very nice courthouse building.
The Tippecanoe County Courthouse is one of the most architecturally grand courthouses I have ever seen. We toured it a few years ago. Awesome!

I hope air service soon returns to Lafayette .

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are the remaining unanswered questions:

The first NINE questions have been taken from the March 15, 1974 edition of the OAG:

1. Name the four airlines and their respective aircraft operating nonstop service between Montego Bay and New York.

2. Name the three airlines operating DC-9-10 equipment between New York (any airport) and Washington, DC. (any airport). ANSWERED

3. You’re perusing the schedules for your upcoming trip from Minneapolis to Washington, DC and hey – Northwest is offering a three stop DC-10 flight on the route. With dinner enroute no less! Three stops?! Where would they possibly stop that big airplane three times over such a short distance? ANSWERED

6. You’re in Salt Lake City and need to get to Mexico City. You’re surprised to find a single direct flight with two enroute stops along the way. It departs at 2:45pm, arriving at 8:40pm. Name the airline, aircraft and route followed between Salt Lake and Mexico City. ANSWERED

7. You’re in New Orleans and need to fly to Houston. There is no shortage of flights available with nineteen weekday nonstops offered amongst five different airlines. Name the five airlines serving this route and for added bonus, name the two that offer wide-bodied service. ANSWERED

9. Northwest is well known for its multi-stop flights through North Dakota and Montana enroute to the Pacific Northwest. What is the one and only North Dakota city that does not have any direct service on Northwest to either Seattle, Portland or Spokane? ANSWERED

10. In November of 1974, Lake Tahoe was being served by one Intra-State carrier and a handful of smaller commuter carriers. What was the sole Intra-State carrier serving Lake Tahoe? What equipment did it utilize and what cities did it offer nonstop service to Lake Tahoe from? ANSWERED

11. You want to fly nonstop from La Paz, Mexico to Los Angeles. What airline would you call? ANSWERED

12. This airline offered the only nonstop service between the Mainland and Hawaii that did not include a First Class cabin. Name the airline, its aircraft and the routes it flew between the mainland and Hawaii on these all coach flights.

The following THREE questions are based upon schedules published in the November 15th, 1970 OAG

13. Name five California cities that in November of 1970 had scheduled air service operated by aircraft offering 30 or more seats but now have no scheduled airline service at all. ANSWERED

14. As of November 1970 there were – so far as I know – only two U.S. transcontinental routes operated with a 727-100. Identify the routes and the airline(s) involved. ANSWERED

17. What was Delta’s only transcontinental route flown in November 1970? ANSWERED

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
2. I'll guess the three air carriers operating DC-9-10 equipment between the New York City area and the Washington D.C. area in the spring of 1974 were Eastern, Ozark and Southern.

If memory serves me correctly, both the Ozark Air Lines and Southern Airways flights originated in the New York City area (at LGA, I think) and then stopped in the Washington, D.C. area (at IAD, I believe) before continuing on to other, smaller cities. The Ozark service continued on to the midwest while the Southern flights went to Columbus, GA with continuing service to various destinations primarily in the southeast.

And speaking of multistop flights on the west coast operated by United with jet equipment back in the day as mentioned above by Seat 2A, here's a bonus question:

It's the spring of 1969 and you are in Reno. You would like to depart first thing in the morning to Los Angeles on board a jet in first class. You discover there is a morning jet departure offering front cabin service as well as coach from RNO to LAX. And much to your delight, you also note this flight makes no less than four (4) intermediate stops en route. Identify all four stops and the equipment operated.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reason: grammar & spelling
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: All of them!
7) 1974-- New Orleans/Houston--
Texas International, Eastern, National, Delta, and Continental, with National widebody service with D10, and Delta with a flight to IAH on L10 aircraft.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. Name the three airlines operating DC-9-10 equipment between New York (any airport) and Washington, DC. (any airport in March 1974).

I'll guess the three air carriers operating DC-9-10 equipment between the New York City area and the Washington D.C. area in the spring of 1974 were Eastern, Ozark and Southern.

jlemon, you da man! The routes were indeed Southern (LGA-IAD), Ozark (LGA-IAD) and EA (EWR-DCA). You didn't happen to write the OAG, did you?

Here's a bonus question: It's the spring of 1969 and you are in Reno. You would like to depart first thing in the morning to Los Angeles on board a jet in first class. You discover there is a morning jet departure offering front cabin service as well as coach from RNO to LAX. And much to your delight, you also note this flight makes no less than four (4) intermediate stops en route. Identify all four stops and the equipment operated.

I'm having a hard time imagining where an airline offering First Class would make four stops between Reno and Los Angeles. I'm figuring the airline would be either United or Western but the routing might be a bit out of the way, like say Western routing RNO-SLC-DEN-PHX-SAN-LAX on a 720B. That's awfully out of the way, but I once flew a Hughes Airwest flight direct between SLC and LAX routing via PDX, RDM, LMF, SMF, SFO and MRY.
7. You’re in New Orleans and need to fly to Houston. There is no shortage of flights available with nineteen weekday nonstops offered amongst five different airlines. Name the five airlines serving this route and for added bonus, name the two that offer wide-bodied service.

Originally Posted by cs57
1974-- New Orleans/Houston--
Texas International, Eastern, National, Delta, and Continental, with National widebody service with D10, and Delta with a flight to IAH on L10 aircraft.

That's right. Quite a lot of choice there with 20 weekday nonstops and seven different types of aircraft offered. Braniff also had a Saturday only flight, but it was conditional stopover traffic only.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
The airline flying from Reno to Los Angeles with four (4) stops in the spring of 1969 was actually United:

UA 899: RNO-OAK-SFO-MRY-SBA-LAX Equip: B727-100 Daily op.

I would have loved to have taken this flight! First, over the Sierra Nevada Mountains by Lake Tahoe, then the classic hop across the S.F. Bay from Oakland to SFO, then down the coast to the Monterey peninsula followed by a flight over Big Sur to Santa Barbara and on into the L.A. basin - all in first class in the Friendly Skies, of course!

I also believe this was the only time that Oakland had direct jet service to both Monterey and Santa Barbara.....
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA 899: RNO-OAK-SFO-MRY-SBA-LAX Equip: B727-100 Daily op.

I would have loved to have taken this flight! First, over the Sierra Nevada Mountains by Lake Tahoe, then the classic hop across the S.F. Bay from Oakland to SFO, then down the coast to the Monterey peninsula followed by a flight over Big Sur to Santa Barbara and on into the L.A. basin - all in first class in the Friendly Skies, of course!
Stop it! You're making me want to book a flight later today on AS 66, the milkrun down to Juneau (ANC-CDV-YAK-JNU).

Nice bit of esoterica there, jlemon. Even in coach, United's 727s offered a comfortable ride back in those days...

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And speaking of booking an upcoming trip, I just made first class reservations for yours truly and the lady in my life on AA with a routing of LFT-DFW-MIA-BGI in order to embark on yet another sailing trip, this time from Barbados!

I have not been to BGI since Eastern flew in there many years ago with 72S equipment. And I think there is actually a Concorde on display somewhere near the airport as BA flew the SST into Barbados back in the day on a scheduled basis from LHR......
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA
And I think there is actually a Concorde on display somewhere near the airport as BA flew the SST into Barbados back in the day on a scheduled basis from LHR......
Yes, it's G-BOAE, aircraft No 5 from the British Airways fleet. Do go and visit it and let us know how well it is preserved.

Barbados flights fell somewhat between scheduled and charter (there were a significant number of Concorde charter flights over time), they operated once-weekly on Saturdays in the Caribbean winter season, and also during the UK August holiday season. Flight number BA273. At peak demand times, such as the week before Christmas, a second one was also operated on Sundays as BA1273.

It could, of course, get from London to Barbados and back within the day Departed Heathrow 09.30, back home at 20.00. Operationally, Barbados was a real challenge, right on the extremity of range, and only 80 of the 100 seats were sold until shortly before departure, when a judgement was taken on the likely weather for the westbound flight (the tough one), to determine if any extra could be sold. The crews normally spent the week in Barbados between flights. Probably got a bit tedious after a while ....... but then again, maybe not !
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Yes, it's G-BOAE, aircraft No 5 from the British Airways fleet. Do go and visit it and let us know how well it is preserved.

Barbados flights fell somewhat between scheduled and charter (there were a significant number of Concorde charter flights over time), they operated once-weekly on Saturdays in the Caribbean winter season, and also during the UK August holiday season. Flight number BA273. At peak demand times, such as the week before Christmas, a second one was also operated on Sundays as BA1273.

It could, of course, get from London to Barbados and back within the day Departed Heathrow 09.30, back home at 20.00. Operationally, Barbados was a real challenge, right on the extremity of range, and only 80 of the 100 seats were sold until shortly before departure, when a judgement was taken on the likely weather for the westbound flight (the tough one), to determine if any extra could be sold. The crews normally spent the week in Barbados between flights. Probably got a bit tedious after a while ....... but then again, maybe not !
Very interesting! And I had thought that this LHR-BGI Concorde service might be pushing the envelope, so to speak, with regard to range and payload.....

We shall definitely make time to go and visit G-BOAE when we are in Barbados!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And speaking of booking an upcoming trip, I just made first class reservations for yours truly and the lady in my life on AA with a routing of LFT-DFW-MIA-BGI in order to embark on yet another sailing trip, this time from Barbados! I have not been to BGI since Eastern flew in there many years ago with 72S equipment.
Since the November 1970 OAG just happens to be close at hand, I couldn’t resist checking out what you would have had to look forward to had you been flying between Lafayette and Barbados 42 years ago…

TT 628 LFT-LCH-DFW 625a – 830a CV6 S
BN 077 DAL-MIA 1040A – 159P 707 L
BW 401 MIA-KIN-SJU-ANU-BDI 300P 1010P 727

PA 452 BDI-ANU-SJU-MIA 815A 130P 707 BS
BN 074 MIA-DFW 300P – 443P 707 S
TT 663 DFW-TYR-GGG-SHV-LCH-LFT 545P-855P CV6

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
CV6
Here's another one we haven't covered before, I believe. OAG used (I think) CV6 for two slightly different types. Anyone care to identify them and the difference between them.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WHBM
Here's another one we haven't covered before, I believe. OAG used (I think) CV6 for two slightly different types. Anyone care to identify them and the difference between them.
Convair 600 - RR Dart conversion of Convair 240; Convair 640 - RR Dart conversion of Convair 340/440.

Convair 600 was also one of the original designations of the CV880, along with Golden Arrow. "600" represented the projected top speed (600mph= .78 mach); the eventual 880 moniker reflected the same speed but in feet per second! Talk about reaching ,
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
How about an easy one
Which airline dipped its wings when it flew over Monroe, why and when did they stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.