Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
And here's a bonus question (which means I forgot to include it in the above set)......

In April of 1985, Cascade Airways was operating BAC One-Eleven jet service into eleven (11) different destinations primarily in the Pacific Northwest. Identify all eleven destinations.

I'll answer this one now as well....

Cascade Airways operated BAC One-Eleven service into the following eleven (11) cities in April of 1985:

Boise, ID (BOI)
Calgary, Alberta (YYC)
Idaho Falls, ID (IDA)
Lewiston, ID (LWS)
Pasco, WA (PSC)
Pocatello, ID (PIH)
Portland, OR (PDX)
Reno, NV (RNO)
Seattle, WA (SEA)
Spokane, WA (GEG)
Walla Walla, WA (ALW)

And with that, I think it's time to once again take a break from asking questions.....but not before I pose one more quiz item!

In July of 1983, no less than eight (8) airlines operated scheduled passenger jet service into Port of Spain, Trinidad (POS). None of them were U.S. air carriers. Identify all eight airlines. And for bonus points, also identify the type of equipment each air carrier operated into POS.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Well then perhaps it's time to close this thread down. If the random public have to figure out what the unwritten rules are from people who seem to believe they own this thread, which is quickly becoming my impression, then it really isn't in the FT spirit, is it? No clear rules, and the ones held by those enforcing them are applied haphazardly at best.
Or you can simply choose not to participate......@:-)
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Or you can simply choose not to participate......@:-)
Well that kind of proves my point, doesn't it?

I don't see "PRIVATE THREAD" in the title, do you?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that kind of proves my point, doesn't it?

I don't see "PRIVATE THREAD" in the title, do you?
We really have not had any hard and fast rules here....and, quite frankly, I think most of us prefer it that way. We have been attempting to have a free and easy nature here. Keep it fun, you know....and no, this is not a private thread. It's just a little harmless airline and airliner history thread that a whole bunch of folks have found to be quite enjoyable.

We've also been doing this for just over a year now with no real dissent....that is, until your interesting comment concerning shutting the thread down. It appears you think that would solve what you perceive to be the problem. Don't like it? Just get rid of it....

Sorry you feel that way.....and I truly believe that virtually all of us do not share your thoughts.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:39 am

Let me be more clear. I followed the etiquette request made of me. As a result, questions went unanswered. I made an etiquette request in return asking to give us some warning if you're going to close out the questions. Go back and read your post. It said it "was too much trouble".

Okay, so you can make requests of me, but I can't make requests of you. That's "owning the thread." FT owns the thread. Not you or anyone else.

You could make the point that answering too many questions at once is disruptive to others' enjoyment of the thread. Great, I see that point. It could also be said that being whimsical about when you're giving out answers, when people have possibly done research but haven't posted so that it doesn't disrupt, is a disruption to the enjoyment of the thread for question answerers. It goes both ways.

So yes, if you don't intend to be fair, perhaps this thread has gone its course.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: BA
Gentlemen

Let us get back to Interchange Flights and when Convair made planes worth riding in, rather than a prelude to the Fish Slapping Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

PS - if you look out of the left hand side when on the usual approach pattern to Heathrow 27L/27R, you can see the point where they filmed this at the side of the River Thames.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WHBM
Gentlemen

Let us get back to Interchange Flights and when Convair made planes worth riding in, rather than a prelude to the Fish Slapping Dance
I have no problem with people answering the questions as soon as they (think they) know the answer. Of course I hope everyone is on the honor system - no googling or binging(!) .

Those who think they have been singled out - well, just get over it.
Now, carry on.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:06 pm

I like your style, Wally. Everyone do their own thing, and people can just get over it if they don't like it. Bravo to you!

Last edited by AeroWesty; Dec 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well then perhaps it's time to close this thread down. If the random public have to figure out what the unwritten rules are from people who seem to believe they own this thread, which is quickly becoming my impression, then it really isn't in the FT spirit, is it? No clear rules, and the ones held by those enforcing them are applied haphazardly at best.
Jeez Westy, mellow out! Seriously, there's no ownership or rules here - just good common sense and decency.

I assume you enjoy answering these questions. Well, so do the other participants here, most of whom are spread out across nine time zones. It's clear that you've got a good grasp of aviation history and I'm sure that you - perhaps more than some others - could easily answer most or all of any questions proffered correctly. Well that's great but where does that leave everyone else who'd also like to participate?

If eight of us were sitting at a dinner table and a plate of eight pork chops were set down near you, would you take all eight? Or even five? Of course not. That would be rude. Answering all of the questions here in one go is no different when we've got seven or eight active participants. Amongst mature adults, it should go without saying that the polite thing to do is answer some of the questions, but leave a few for others to have a go at as well. There's no rule on how many questions you should answer - we're not that particular - just use good common sense. Two, three or four - whatever. And if, after a reasonable amount of time has passed (again - judgement call) there are still some unanswered questions, then by all means go in and answer a few more. This ain't rocket science, just polite civil behavior that most parents have instilled in their children by the time they reach grade school. It's all about respect for your fellow participants. Please allow them the opportunity to enjoy and participate in the quiz aspect of this thread as well.

I'm sure you've noticed that for the most part jlemon and myself have been submitting the vast majority of the questions. Speaking for myself at least, it takes some time to sit down and go through an OAG or peruse the internet in search of interesting tidbits, especially now after 400-500 questions.

Rather than talk about closing down this thread or making motions to have it moved, why not take a more positive approach by contributing to it with some questions of your own?

And finally, if you disagree with someone's answer or how they arrived at it - don't have a cow, man. Just state your case. Politely. I personally don't take issue with being corrected if I'm wrong. Just be nice about it. We all benefit from the exchange of information.

As for more questions, I just got back home and will try to get a few out in the next couple of days. I don't always have internet access and sometimes what I do have is very limited. Like all of you I've also got plenty of other things to do that preclude immediately posting new questions once a set have all been answered. I'd hazard a guess that jlemon is a heck of a lot busier than I am and if, on his down time, he chooses to enjoy a few of those delicious and well deserved Cajun Bloody Marys, well - that might also contribute to occasionally going a few days without questions. So be it. Check back in once in a while. Things'll happen eventually.

Thanks to everyone who's participated thus far in this thread. It's been fun and entertaining because of all of you. I'll try to have a few more questions out in a couple of days. For now, I've got to turn up the heat (It's -23 outside my cabin) and get my fantasy football lineups finalized before tomorrow's games. And hey! How bout them 10-3 Broncos?!

Will the broncos rate a liveried airplane if they win the Super Bowl?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Jeez Westy, mellow out! Seriously, there's no ownership or rules here - just good common sense and decency.
2A, I'm perfectly mellowed out. This didn't need a diatribe from you. I asked for a simple courtesy in return for the courtesy I was asked for, and I was basically told to blow it out my left ear. What a nice display of good common sense and decency.

So as stated above, I'm taking Wally's advice.

Let's get back to playing the game.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: All of them!
Back to the game, indeed!
POS air service (1983)

KLM D10 (AMS and Panama)
Viasa D98 (CCS)
BWIA D9S Georgetown and London
ALM D98 Georgetown
Guyana Airways 707/HS7
BA 747 LHR
Cruzeiro 73S Manaus
LAV from 2 points in Venezuela.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks to everyone who's participated thus far in this thread. It's been fun and entertaining because of all of you. I'll try to have a few more questions out in a couple of days. For now, I've got to turn up the heat (It's -23 outside my cabin) and get my fantasy football lineups finalized before tomorrow's games. And hey! How bout them 10-3 Broncos?!
Will the broncos rate a liveried airplane if they win the Super Bowl?
And a big thanks back to you and the other experts, on behalf of those of us who are just trip-loving pax. I'm sitting here in SYD after a great first class ride on the 787 iah-lax, and 747 lax-syd, now watching our beloved Saints taking a drubbing, while we wait to board a ship for a couple of weeks (which may mean I can't monitor this thread if the internet service is poor). But your prospective Bronco livery reminds me of another peculiar livery I ran across:

Can you identify the carrier?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq
Can you identify the carrier?
LOL, I remember that when it hit a.net. Kulula from South Africa. Great pic!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
LOL, I remember that when it hit a.net. Kulula from South Africa. Great pic!
Right on westy -- and as lagniappe for those who haven't seen some of their whimsical livery, here's another one from the same carrier:
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: BA
It's nothing to do with any "Old Timers Airline", but mention of Kulula is too good to miss. This carrier is a Brand, rather than an actual airline, because it is part of the more established South African operator Comair. This in turn is nothing whatever to do with the Delta commuter operator of the same name in the USA, but a long-established charter operator ("Commercial Air Service")around southern Africa who started scheduled domestic services when the old South African Airways monopoly was broken up in the SA equivalent of deregulation.

Strangely, Comair doesn't operate under its own name, but the main part of the company is branded as British Airways, leading to the strange arrangement of one of the major SA domestic airlines having the full branding of a carrier from the other hemisphere, then Comair started the Kulula "low-cost" brand as a second and quite separate operation, although on the same trunk routes, principally the Durban-Johannesburg-Cape Town triangle. They have some real innovative PR and Social Media people, and the "Flying 101" example shown above is just part of it. Actually the left hand side of this plane's livery is better.

Having come up with one of the best bits of aircraft artwork for years, they then really excelled themselves when their first 737-800 was introduced a few months ago. If ever there is a category of the Oscars for airline inaugural flight films, this has to be a winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8rHN5OhKHo

The first half is filmed at Johannesburg Lanseria airport. You'll notice aircraft in Comair's British Airways livery at the end when they get to Cape Town. Oh, and good prominence to "If it's not a Boeing I'm not going". Kulula is Zulu for "Easy". Wonder where they got that idea from ..... !

South African Airways meanwhile did the same thing, running trunk domestic services under their own name, and starting a separate "low-cost" brand of Mango as well. All of them compete on the same main routes. A fifth, independent, carrier, 1Time, which did the same thing as well with MD-80s, recently stopped operating. Too bad, it was all real competition.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 10, 2012 at 7:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.