Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. It’s June of 1968 and you’re flying aboard the only nonstop jet between San Antonio, Texas and Monterrey, Mexico. Name the airline and the equipment.

Mexicana with B727. Service continued on to MEX (SAT-MTY-MEX routing). You've got the airline right but the equipment was a bit more exotic...

9. In June of 1968, there were eight daily nonstop flights between Fresno and San Francisco. Only two of them were jets, operated by this airline…
United United offered DC-6 service on this route but no jets yet...
6. Hmm, was this operated by Mexicana's de Havilland Comet? Just guessing...

9. Air West. RW operated DC-9s and 727s on the route.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
6. Hmm, was this operated by Mexicana's de Havilland Comet? Just guessing...

Si, Tony ~ had you been flying this route back in 1968, you would have done so aboard one of Mexicana's Comet 4Cs. Buen Viajes y tenga un vuelo fantástico!!

Alas, the schedule does not yet show any Air West flights between Fresno and San Francisco... This airline also flew the same type of jets between San Francisco and Monterey...
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: BA
Rounding up on the Caravelle, I've just put some USA-oriented little questions together

1. Which US corporation bought a single new Caravelle in 1960, and sold it in 1961, running it (though not much) for two years.

2. Which US corporation became Caravelle sales dealer for the USA for 3 years 1959-61, and were the people who actually signed the United order. Why was this company particularly relevant to United.

3. How many seats in a United Caravelle ?

4. The United fleet had 'tail numbers' (I would say 'registrations') N1001U upwards. How many such numbers did they reserve with the FAA.

5. Which other TWO major US carriers looked at the Caravelle sufficiently seriously that Sud started cutting metal for them.

6. Which manufacturing plant was earmarked for US assembly of the Caravelle ? Why was this plant available ?

7. At which major US gateway airport was the Caravelle, on the 1957 sales tour, the first jet to land because other, 4-engined, jets were banned due to noise (later rescinded).

8. In the 1957 Caravelle prototype US sales tour, which personality caused a special visit to Culver City CA ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 13, 2012 at 1:09 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Alas, the schedule does not yet show any Air West flights between Fresno and San Francisco... This airline also flew the same type of jets between San Francisco and Monterey...
I'll try 9 again one more time to close this out: It was one of Air West's predecessors, Pacific Airlines. Pacific flew 727s between Fresno and San Francisco as well as from San Francisco to Monterrey.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Dupe post

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:51 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Another dupe post....apparently some network problems this morning....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Rounding up on the Caravelle, I've just put some USA-oriented little questions together

1. Which US corporation bought a single new Caravelle in 1960, and sold it in 1961, running it (though not much) for two years.

2. Which US corporation became Caravelle sales dealer for the USA for 3 years 1959-61, and were the people who actually signed the United order. Why was this company particularly relevant to United.

3. How many seats in a United Caravelle ?

4. The United fleet had 'tail numbers' (I would say 'registrations') N1001U upwards. How many such numbers did they reserve with the FAA.

5. Which other TWO major US carriers looked at the Caravelle sufficiently seriously that Sud started cutting metal for them.

6. Which manufacturing plant was earmarked for US assembly of the Caravelle ? Why was this plant available ?

7. At which major US gateway airport was the Caravelle, on the 1957 sales tour, the first jet to land because other, 4-engined, jets were banned due to noise (later rescinded).

8. In the 1957 Caravelle prototype US sales tour, which personality caused a special visit to Culver City CA ?
Excellent questions from WHBM.....

I'll kick things off with a couple of guesses....

3. I believe UA's Caravelles had 64 seats in a 2-2 all first class arrangement. I also think earlier Caravelles operated by other carriers were capable of transporting up to 80 passengers using a 2-3 seating configuration. It's also my understanding that the first class seats on United's B720s and DC-8s at the time were apparently superior to those found on UA's Caravelles but the airline charged a premium price anyway to fly on the French twinjet.

5. I think one of the carriers interested in the Caravelle was TWA but am unsure concerning the other airline. Could it have been American? AA seemed to favor smaller twin jets as evidenced by their past orders for the BAC One-Eleven 400 and Fokker 100.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
I'll try 9 again one more time to close this out: It was one of Air West's predecessors, Pacific Airlines. Pacific flew 727s between Fresno and San Francisco as well as from San Francisco to Monterrey.
I believe you're right, Tony! And I also seem to recall that Pacific Airlines was flying B727 service back then around the same time SFO-SBA.

Let's see what Seat 2A says.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe you're right, Tony! And I also seem to recall that Pacific Airlines was flying B727 service back then around the same time SFO-SBA.

Let's see what Seat 2A says.....
Seat 2A concurs wholeheartedly. Good job, guys!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Well, I know how to spell Caravelle but the rest is pure speculation...

I', with jlemon on this one ~ American and TWA

I'm going to guess the old General Dynamics Convair plant since the 880 and 990 had such a short production run.

Washington Dulles?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning Everyone!

It's a nice Saturday morning here in LFT although more rain is expected as the day progresses.....and if I do not get the lawn mowed before the precip commences, a certain lady in my life will be a bit displeased (this happened last weekend whilst I was working on a set of old timer's quiz questions but I somehow survived the situation although the lawn did not get mowed)......

So for now, we certainly have time for some more quiz questions!

1. What airline was the first to operate the B727 into Eureka/Arcata, CA (ACV)?

2. This airline operated fixed wing feeder service into San Francisco (SFO) with a very interesting small aircraft that was capable of short landings and takeoffs. The carrier worked primarily with TWA concerning this feeder service and used a TWA gate at SFO. Destinations included Oakland, Concord, Napa Valley, Marin County, Santa Rosa, Clear Lake and Ukiah in northern California. Identify the airline and the type of aircraft flown.

3. In the spring of 1970, this airline flew a weekly service nonstop between Halifax (YHZ) and Bermuda (BDA). Name the airline and the type of aircraft operated.

4. In the summer of 1969, this airline flew a weekly service nonstop between Toronto (YYZ) and Detroit (DTW). However, no local traffic could be transported on this leg of service although conditional stopover traffic was permitted. Identify the air carrier and the type of aircraft flown. Hint: this flight continued on to yet another international destination that was not located in the U.S. or Canada.

5. This airline flew direct, no change of plane jet service from Pendleton, OR (PDT) to the New York City area. There were five (5) intermediate stops en route between Pendleton and New York. Name the airline and the type of equipment used on the route. Also identify all five intermediate stops as well as the specific airport in the New York area served by this flight.

6. This airline flew direct, no change of plane jet service from the Chicago area to Brownsville, TX (BRO). There were six (6) intermediate stops en route between Chicago and Brownsville. Name the airline and the type of aircraft flown on the route. Also identify all six intermediate stops as well as the specific airport in the Chicago area where the flight originated.

7. What airline operated direct, one stop B727-200 service into Brownsville, TX (BRO) from Detroit (DTW) twice a day in the late summer of 1994?

8. This airline operated BAC One-Eleven jet service between St. Louis and Kansas City. Identify the airline.

9. In the spring of 1966, this airline operated nonstop jet service on an international route between Houston (HOU) and Panama City (PTY). Name the air carrier and the type of aircraft operated.

10. Eastern Airlines operated Boeing 707 aircraft on an interchange service between New York City (JFK) and Latin America via Miami (MIA). Name the other airline that operated this interchange service between Miami and Latin America. And for bonus points, name the eight (8) cities in Latin America that were served by these no change of plane B707 flights.

11. What airline operated BAC One-Eleven jet service into both Sioux Falls (FSD) and Sioux City (SUX)?

12. Name two (2) airlines that operated jet service into Salem, OR (SLE). Also name the aircraft types used. And for bonus points, identify the routes.

13. What airline operated Lockheed L-188 Electra service into Cheyenne, WY (CYS)?

14. What airline operated Boeing 737-200 service into Cheyenne, WY (CYS)?

15. Braniff International operated Vickers Viscount aircraft on an interchange route. Identify the route as well as the other airline involved with this interchange service.

16. Back in 2007, the Western Airlines name was resurrected and a new air carrier using the same name began operating flights (but not for long). Identify the city where this version of Western was based, the type of jet aircraft operated and the three (3) routes flown by the airline from this base airport. And for bonus points: What was the slogan used by the "new" Western?

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm Reason: Fixed the question numbers!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
It's a nice Saturday morning here in LFT although more rain is expected as the day progresses.....and if I do not get the lawn mowed before the precip commences, a certain lady in my life will be a bit displeased (this happened last weekend whilst I was working on a set of old timer's quiz questions but I somehow survived the situation although the lawn did not get mowed)......
Since I mowed between showers yesterday, I have a bit of time to play -- let's try the international questions:
3. In the spring of 1970, this airline flew a weekly service nonstop between Halifax (YHZ) and Bermuda (BDA). Name the airline and the type of aircraft operated.
That would be Air Canada, using a DC-8.
4. In the summer of 1969, this airline flew a weekly service nonstop between Toronto (YYZ) and Detroit (DTW). However, no local traffic could be transported on this leg of service although conditional stopover traffic was permitted. Identify the air carrier and the type of aircraft flown. Hint: this flight continued on to yet another international destination that was not located in the U.S. or Canada.
That was Aeronaves de Mexico (AM), again a DC-8; AM433: YYZ-DTW-MEX. The 1967 AM timetable shows AM sharing the Canada/Mexico route with CPAir; e.g. AM441 was three times/wk YUL-YYZ-DTW-MEX, while CP581 was weekly YUL-DTW-MEX.
7. In the spring of 1966, this airline operated nonstop jet service on an international route between Houston (HOU) and Panama City (PTY). Name the air carrier and the type of aircraft operated.
Braniff, B707; switched to 727 in late 1967.
8. Eastern Airlines operated Boeing 707 aircraft on an interchange service between New York City (JFK) and Latin America via Miami (MIA). Name the other airline that operated this interchange service between Miami and Latin America. And for bonus points, name the eight (8) cities in Latin America that were served by these no change of plane B707 flights.
EA/BN interchange service via MIA: Panama City (PTY), Quito (UIO), Guayaquil (GYE), Lima (LIM), La Paz (LPB), Santiago (SCL), Asuncion (ASC), Buenos Aires (EZE).
Now for some other yard work before the showers begin again.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jlemon;18928218]One man's Saturday is another man's Tuesday. jlemon, your lawn situation reminds me of a question actually asked by one of our visitors to Denali National Park, to wit "How do they mow the tundra?" Sigh... Wilderness is the area between gift shops...

I'm almost certain that Pacific Airlines flew its 727-100s into ACV, and that's more certain that I am about United which didn't commence jet service until the 1980s. PSA also served ACV but I'm going to guess they used BAE-146s.

2. This airline operated fixed wing feeder service into San Francisco (SFO) with a very interesting small aircraft that was capable of short landings and takeoffs. The carrier worked primarily with TWA concerning this feeder service and used a TWA gate at SFO. Destinations included Oakland, Concord, Napa Valley, Marin County, Santa Rosa, Clear Lake and Ukiah in northern California. Identify the airline and the type of aircraft flown.

I'm pretty sure that would be STOL Air which later became WestAir. They used Britten Norman Islanders and Trilanders, not commonly seen on mainland routes.

I agree with miniliq that it was Air Canada but as to aircraft, I'm going to go with the Vickers Vanguard which I'm pretty sure was still flying back in 1970. They were used heavily on routes out to the Maritime provinces as well as some Caribbean destinations.

5. What airline operated direct, one stop B727-200 service into Brownsville, TX (BRO) from Detroit (DTW) twice a day in the late summer of 1994?

American would, for me, be the obvious choice but I remember Sun Country also served Brownsville. The 727-200 was their primary aircraft back then but I thought they only offered seasonal service. Otherwise, I can't think of any other possibilities. Let's go with American.

11. What airline operated Lockheed L-188 Electra service into Cheyenne, WY (CYS)?

Western Airlines. This was part of a routing that went DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL. I flew it once on a beautiful summer evening, but alas, the Electra had long been retired. Instead I was on a 737, providing the only jet service that CYS and SHR have ever enjoyed.

12. What airline operated Boeing 737-200 service into Cheyenne, WY (CYS)?

See above
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Since I mowed between showers yesterday, I have a bit of time to play -- let's try the international questions:

That would be Air Canada, using a DC-8.

That was Aeronaves de Mexico (AM), again a DC-8; AM433: YYZ-DTW-MEX. The 1967 AM timetable shows AM sharing the Canada/Mexico route with CPAir; e.g. AM441 was three times/wk YUL-YYZ-DTW-MEX, while CP581 was weekly YUL-DTW-MEX.

Braniff, B707; switched to 727 in late 1967.

EA/BN interchange service via MIA: Panama City (PTY), Quito (UIO), Guayaquil (GYE), Lima (LIM), La Paz (LPB), Santiago (SCL), Asuncion (ASC), Buenos Aires (EZE).
Now for some other yard work before the showers begin again.
Excellent answers from the man with a freshly mowed lawn in the Crescent City!

3. Air Canada is correct; however, AC was using another aircraft type on the YHZ-BDA route at this time....

4. Correct! The Aeronaves de Mexico timetable I looked at does not mention the CP Air service (although I know CP Air was flying the route as well - maybe AM got mad at CP).

9. Correct! However, I'm unsure about the exact aircraft type as Braniff listed the equipment as "Boeing" with the explanation that the B707 and B720 were both operated on such routes. Here's the actual routing:

BN 65: DEN-DAL-SAT-HOU-PTY operated on Wednesdays and Sundays only

So what did the aircraft do the rest of the week? Here's the answer:

BN 67: DEN-DAL-SAT-MEX-ACA operated every day except Wednesdays and Sundays

10. Correct! Well, with just a few minor exceptions: you left out several cities including Bogota, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Also, the particular routes I looked at did not mention Quito, Santiago and La Paz. However, since you have completed lawn mowing operations and are doubtless currently engaged in other yard work, I hereby award you bonus points.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reason: Fixed the question numbers
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;18928997]
One man's Saturday is another man's Tuesday. jlemon, your lawn situation reminds me of a question actually asked by one of our visitors to Denali National Park, to wit "How do they mow the tundra?" Sigh... Wilderness is the area between gift shops...

I'm almost certain that Pacific Airlines flew its 727-100s into ACV, and that's more certain that I am about United which didn't commence jet service until the 1980s. PSA also served ACV but I'm going to guess they used BAE-146s.

I'm pretty sure that would be STOL Air which later became WestAir. They used Britten Norman Islanders and Trilanders, not commonly seen on mainland routes.

I agree with miniliq that it was Air Canada but as to aircraft, I'm going to go with the Vickers Vanguard which I'm pretty sure was still flying back in 1970. They were used heavily on routes out to the Maritime provinces as well as some Caribbean destinations.

5. What airline operated direct, one stop B727-200 service into Brownsville, TX (BRO) from Detroit (DTW) twice a day in the late summer of 1994?

American would, for me, be the obvious choice but I remember Sun Country also served Brownsville. The 727-200 was their primary aircraft back then but I thought they only offered seasonal service. Otherwise, I can't think of any other possibilities. Let's go with American.

11. What airline operated Lockheed L-188 Electra service into Cheyenne, WY (CYS)?

Western Airlines. This was part of a routing that went DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL. I flew it once on a beautiful summer evening, but alas, the Electra had long been retired. Instead I was on a 737, providing the only jet service that CYS and SHR have ever enjoyed.

12. What airline operated Boeing 737-200 service into Cheyenne, WY (CYS)?

See above
Hey Seat 2A! Well, I need to get back out there, fire up lil' mow-mow tractor and finish the job before the thundershowers arrive! And roger that with regard to the Alaskan wilderness....I remember hiking near Cordova and thinking, "What am I going to do if I see a bear? And more importantly, what's the bear going to do if he (or worse, a she bear with cubs) sees me?!?!?!" Luckily, I didn't find out!

1. We have a winner! Pacific Airlines is correct with B727-100 service! Typical routing was LAX-FAT-SFO-ACV. Pacific, of course, became Air West with the merger with Bonanza and West Coast.

Eureka/Arcata was also served at different times by Air West/Hughes Air West (DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 service), United (B737-200 service) and PSA (most likely with the BAe 146 you mention but I'm not completely sure what PSA flew in there. I'm also unsure whether Air California/Air Cal served ACV).

2. STOL Air Commuter is correct! And isn't that three engine Britten-Norman Tri-Islander one interesting looking airplane?!

3. The Vickers Vanguard (the big brother of the Viscount) is correct! And I believe Air Canada also operated Vanguard service at one point nonstop down to the Bahamas.

5. (which is actually 7. - my mistake!) Nope, it was not American or Sun Country.....

And with regard to both questions concerning Cheyenne, WY (CYS), you are correct! You are also spot on with regard to the typical routing flown by both aircraft being DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL and that Western replaced the Electra on the route with the B737-200.

And now back to mechanized lawn mow-mow operations followed by a cold microbrew that was produced locally!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reason: Additional RW info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.