FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:56 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
Since I mowed between showers yesterday, I have a bit of time to play -- let's try the international questions:

That would be Air Canada, using a DC-8.

That was Aeronaves de Mexico (AM), again a DC-8; AM433: YYZ-DTW-MEX. The 1967 AM timetable shows AM sharing the Canada/Mexico route with CPAir; e.g. AM441 was three times/wk YUL-YYZ-DTW-MEX, while CP581 was weekly YUL-DTW-MEX.

Braniff, B707; switched to 727 in late 1967.

EA/BN interchange service via MIA: Panama City (PTY), Quito (UIO), Guayaquil (GYE), Lima (LIM), La Paz (LPB), Santiago (SCL), Asuncion (ASC), Buenos Aires (EZE).
Now for some other yard work before the showers begin again.
Excellent answers from the man with a freshly mowed lawn in the Crescent City!

3. Air Canada is correct; however, AC was using another aircraft type on the YHZ-BDA route at this time....

4. Correct! The Aeronaves de Mexico timetable I looked at does not mention the CP Air service (although I know CP Air was flying the route as well - maybe AM got mad at CP).

9. Correct! However, I'm unsure about the exact aircraft type as Braniff listed the equipment as "Boeing" with the explanation that the B707 and B720 were both operated on such routes. Here's the actual routing:

BN 65: DEN-DAL-SAT-HOU-PTY operated on Wednesdays and Sundays only

So what did the aircraft do the rest of the week? Here's the answer:

BN 67: DEN-DAL-SAT-MEX-ACA operated every day except Wednesdays and Sundays

10. Correct! Well, with just a few minor exceptions: you left out several cities including Bogota, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Also, the particular routes I looked at did not mention Quito, Santiago and La Paz. However, since you have completed lawn mowing operations and are doubtless currently engaged in other yard work, I hereby award you bonus points.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reason: Fixed the question numbers