Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by WHBM
I was going to say the same.

I seem to recall that an Air Alsace F28 did Strasbourg-Lille-London early morning, then back all the way London-Lille-Strasbourg-Milan by midday, and returned the same in the afternoon/evening. Badged as Air France.

French "geographical" airline names have never meant much to where they were actually operating.
Another winner.

It was Air France titles (with TAT on the nose), Fokker 28, Lille Strasbourg Milan (Linate).

In 1986, it was twice a day LHR-LIL-SXB Monday to Friday. I think it was once a day in the mid-morning, different flight number but maybe the same, LIL-SXB-LIN.

I made up this question because I considered such a flight. The choices to me were:
AF/TAT F28 LIL-SXB-LIN slightly earlier arrival, maybe 11 am
or
AF A310-200 CDG-LIN slightly later arrival, maybe 12 noon but later departure. Maybe 10:40 am-1:10 pm vs. ,Lille's maybe 8 am-9:30 am/10:15 am - 11:15 am.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlemon

And speaking about the Concorde, here's a BONUS quiz question.....

What airline was reportedly in the planning stages during the late 1970's for possible scheduled Concorde flights between two cities in the U.S., being Atlanta and Houston, and a city in Europe with this service planned to possibly begin around 1980? The airline in question never operated the Concorde but was reportedly said to be in the midst of making arrangements to add two of the SST aircraft to its fleet (which subsequently never happened). And as part of your answer, also identify the European city that would have been served by the routes to and from ATL and IAH. It wasn't Pan Am or Iran Air. The European city in question is London.
British Caledonian. Houston Intercontinental or Atlanta Hartsfield (1980 name), depending on the day - Gander - Gatwick - Murtala Muhammed International (Lagos)
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Another winner.
It was Air France titles (with TAT on the nose), Fokker 28, Lille Strasbourg Milan (Linate).
By 1986 Air Alsace were owned by TAT. Sometimes they ran under one name, sometimes the other. They steadily bought up most French regional airlines.

Bonus question : 10 years later, TAT had a new livery with a flag on the tail. Which flag was it ?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:49 pm
Suspended

By 1986 Air Alsace were owned by TAT. Sometimes they ran under one name, sometimes the other. They steadily bought up most French regional airlines.

Bonus question : 10 years later, TAT had a new livery with a flag on the tail. Which flag was it ?
The Union Jack, of course.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: BA
The Union Jack, of course.
Yes, British Airways bought out TAT from under the nose of minority owner Air France, and repainted the fleet in full livery. Did we know that there were Fokker 100s operated in full BA livery ? https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9728880 .

This was all in BA MD Rob Ayling's expansionist era. For France, particularly, someone should have told him that branding the airline as British Airways for anything other than flights to Britain, especially domestics, would go down like a lead balloon, but in fact it was compounded by buying up another French independent, Air Liberte, and merging the two. BA after a few years sold it on at a loss to Swissair, where the problem continued, and eventually it was all shut down.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
British Caledonian. Houston Intercontinental or Atlanta Hartsfield (1980 name), depending on the day - Gander - Gatwick - Murtala Muhammed International (Lagos)
Well, I'm not sure if this would have been a through service flown with the Concorde between the U.S. and Nigeria....however, British Caledonian is correct!

Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia article concerning British Caledonian specifically with regard to the airline's plans to possibly operate scheduled Concorde service which I shall quote verbatim....and since it is from wikipedia, I think there's someone around here who will be able to set us straight should the following not be quite correct........

1978 was also the year BCal set up a task force headed by Gordon Davidson, BA's former Concorde director, to investigate the possibility of operating the Concorde supersonic airliner viably on the airline's long-haul route network as there were still two unsold, "white tail" examples at that time.

Another important reason for BCal's decision to set up a Concorde task force was that the 1976 aviation policy review (
undertaken by the UK) had exempted Concorde from the "spheres of influence" policy and therefore it was possible for BA to operate supersonic services to prime business and leisure destinations within BCal's sphere of influence, such as Lagos or Rio de Janeiro for example. To ward off this potential threat, BCal's senior management decided to develop its own Concorde plans, either independently or in participation with BA.

The most obvious choice for a supersonic service was Gatwick - Lagos, the backbone and main money spinner of BCal's scheduled operation. BCal's Concorde task force's brief was to access the viability of a second daily all-premium supersonic service complementing the airline's existing daily subsonic, mixed-class widebody service on this route.

BCal put in a bid to acquire one of the remaining two "white tail" aircraft. The bid was not successful.

However, BCal eventually arranged for two aircraft to be leased from BA and Aerospatiale respectively and to have them maintained by either BA or Air France. It became necessary to find additional work for BCal's envisaged two-strong Concorde fleet to increase the aircraft's utilisation, thus permitting a cost-effective operation. Therefore, BCal decided to use the second aircraft to launch a supersonic service between Gatwick and Atlanta, with a technical stop at either Gander or Halifax. It also considered using the aircraft to serve Houston and points on its South American network at a later stage.

Both supersonic services were to be launched at the start of the 1980 summer timetable period.

However, it was not to be. And in attempting to research this quiz question, I also took a look at the https://www.british-caledonian.com website but was unable to discover any information concerning this attempt by British Caledonian to operate Concorde services although there was a section concerning possible Concorde operations by BCal predecessor British United (BUA)......

https://www.british-caledonian.com/BUA_supersonic.html
Old Jul 26, 2020, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Yes, British Airways bought out TAT from under the nose of minority owner Air France, and repainted the fleet in full livery. Did we know that there were Fokker 100s operated in full BA livery ? https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9728880 .

This was all in BA MD Rob Ayling's expansionist era. For France, particularly, someone should have told him that branding the airline as British Airways for anything other than flights to Britain, especially domestics, would go down like a lead balloon, but in fact it was compounded by buying up another French independent, Air Liberte, and merging the two. BA after a few years sold it on at a loss to Swissair, where the problem continued, and eventually it was all shut down.
Like Deutsche BA?

On the other hand, I've sometimes thought "am I flying on a 5th freedom flight?" when flying Alaska Airlines within the Continental US.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
On the other hand, I've sometimes thought "am I flying on a 5th freedom flight?" when flying Alaska Airlines within the Continental US.
Strictly speaking Alaska is a continental state, it just isn't contiguous to the other 48. Then there is D.C....
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Strictly speaking Alaska is a continental state, it just isn't contiguous to the other 48. Then there is D.C....
In the 1980's, Alaska Airlines livery included an Alaskan state flag and the word "Alaska" in bold black typeface. To me, it looked like a VIP air force plane from another country, except there wasn't any "Republic of Alaska". Later, Alaska Airlines won approval to fly Los Angeles Toronto even though LAX was not a hub. That's not right, ha ha, and an example of a small foreign country's airline bullying the US into awarding it 7th freedom rights. Ok, not quite, but a kid can daydream. Anyway, AS presumably couldn't make the route profitable against Air Canada, and withdrew. AS even gave away promotional little ingots of gold to passengers.
MADPhil likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
AS officially changed its name to Alaska Airlines in 1944 and was based in Anchorage at that time. And, of course, Alaska did not achieve statehood until 1959.

BTW, U.S. citizens still have to clear U.S. Customs when flying from St. Thomas and St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands back to the U.S. at the present time. However, I do not believe U.S. citizens have to clear U.S. Customs when traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 27, 2020 at 12:15 pm Reason: correction concerning U.S. Customs when U.S. citizens are traveling to the USVI
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
in the 1980s Air Florida was running DC-10s into Gatwick (and apparently several other TATL destinations), and I doubt many people thought Florida was a separate country

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 26, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
AS officially changed its name to Alaska Airlines in 1944 and was based in Anchorage at that time. And, of course, Alaska did not achieve statehood until 1959.

BTW, one still has to clear U.S. Customs when flying from the U.S. into St. Thomas and St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands at the present time.....
Is this true? You do have to clear flying back to the mainland.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Is this true? You do have to clear flying back to the mainland.
Although not mainland U.S., I do recall a Customs inspection between St. Thomas and San Juan in 1988.
Maybe it was an agricultural inspection.

KT
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by KT550
Although not mainland U.S., I do recall a Customs inspection between St. Thomas and San Juan in 1988.
Maybe it was an agricultural inspection.

KT
You do have to go through it to get to San Juan because you can transfer air side to flights to the mainland. Although I have never quite figured out whether customs are involved at STX, there is immigration and agriculture.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
In the 1980's, Alaska Airlines livery included an Alaskan state flag and the word "Alaska" in bold black typeface. To me, it looked like a VIP air force plane from another country, except there wasn't any "Republic of Alaska". Later, Alaska Airlines won approval to fly Los Angeles Toronto even though LAX was not a hub. That's not right, ha ha, and an example of a small foreign country's airline bullying the US into awarding it 7th freedom rights. Ok, not quite, but a kid can daydream. Anyway, AS presumably couldn't make the route profitable against Air Canada, and withdrew. AS even gave away promotional little ingots of gold to passengers.
As a long time Alaska flyer, I am unfamiliar with the livery as you've described it - at least per 1980s standards. In the 1970s Alaska had the four Alaskan images as seen below

Their next livery was the modified eskimo with twin green and blue stripes as seen below... I believe this was introduced with the airlines' 727-200s in 1979

In the early 1990s, this livery was introduced - I believe with the arrival of the 737-400s

And finally we arrive at the current livery...

Can you post a photo of this "Alaskan state flag and the word "Alaska" in bold black typeface" livery? I'd love to add it to my collection!
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.