Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you never do

L10 is my final answer
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon;29266412 [color=#000000
42. Nope, the air carrier in question wasn't Air Florida. However, on the plus side of the column, the equipment was a B737-200 and stops were made at MIA and STT....but not at MCO. Please guess again![/color].
OK, I'll guess the operator was Midway Express, and move the first stop to MDW.

I think towards the end, New York Air's main hub was IAD.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
you never do

L10 is my final answer
37. Yep, Delta was operating TriStar service from Denver at this time. Here's the sched.....

DL 1082: Denver (DEN) 3:30p - 6:09p Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) 6:54p - 10:00p Orlando (MCO) 10:40p - 11:20p West Palm Beach (PBI)
Op: Daily
Equip: L-1011
Note: Royal Service in F featuring dinner DFW-MCO

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 9, 2018 at 8:40 am Reason: Royal Service correction
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
OK, I'll guess the operator was Midway Express, and move the first stop to MDW.

I think towards the end, New York Air's main hub was IAD.
42. Correct! Here's the sched....

ML 501: Detroit (DTW) 8:00a - 7:55a Chicago Midway (MDW) 8:40a - 12:30p Miami (MIA) 1:00p - 3:35p St. Thomas (STT) 4:05p - 4:30p St. Croix (STX)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: B737-200

Midway Express was a stand alone operation apart from Midway Metrolink which was operating DC9 equipment at this time. The Express operation flew 73S aircraft which I believe had been formerly operated by Air Florida.

44. Correct! New York Air had quite the hub at Washington Dulles in late 1986 with nonstop service between IAD and MIA, FLL, PBI, MCO, TPA, JAX, MSY, CHS, GSP, TYS, RDU, DTW, CLE, BUF, ROC, PHL, EWR, LGA, JFK, ISP, HPN, BDL and BOS. Additional code share service to other destinations was operated by commuter air carriers Colgan Air and Gull Air flying as New York Air Connection.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 9, 2018 at 6:57 am Reason: additional info
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

As always, please limit your response to two or three quiz items at a time so that all may participate. Thanks!

28. Fill in the blank concerning this 1969 airline print ad:

New jets: fast, frisky comfortable Boeing 737's coming soon! New attitudes and service that say "something sharp has happened at ____(airline)______"

30. Now you are in Clearwater, Florida and it's 1972. You're off to Miami and have found an evening flight departing from the airport closest to your location. This service operates daily and makes one stop en route. Name the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

31. It's the spring of 1973. You've just finished a consulting project in Dallas and are ready to visit with friends in Boston. You are in no hurry and have thus found a daily flight which departs Dallas Love Field at 7:00 am and arrives in Boston at 3:46 pm - which means you'll have plenty of time to join your friends for dinner. Better yet, this is a milk run with no less than six stops being made en route. Identify the airline, all six stops in order and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

34. Now it's 1982 you are in Baltimore. You need to travel to the NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Texas. You've found a direct one stop flight which departs BWI at 6:00 pm and arrives into the airport closest to JSC at 9:59 pm. Identify the airline, the stop, the equipment and the airport you will arrive into in Texas. ANSWERED

35. It's still 1982 and you have thoroughly enjoyed the NASA symposium at the Johnson Space Center. Now it's time to travel to New York City on business. There's a flight departing from the airport closest to the space center at 11:40 am which will get you into New York LaGuardia at 7:00 pm. This service makes three stops en route and you will be served dinner on the last leg. Name the airport you will be departing from, the air carrier, all three stops in order and the aircraft type.

36. In the summer of 1983 this airline was operating direct connecting service from Anchorage, Alaska to Johannesburg, South Africa. The service was operated once a week. The first flight made one stop en route from ANC to the connecting city where the connection time interval was one hour and 45 minutes. The second flight made two stops between the connecting city and JNB. The same aircraft type was operated on both flights. Identify the airline, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting city, the two stops made by the second flight and equipment. And here's a hint: the connection city was not located in Europe. ANSWERED

38. So it's now the winter of 1983 and milk run flights are beginning to become scarce. You are in Las Vegas and need to attend a lunch meeting in Hartford the next day. Ah, what's this? A multi-stop flight departing LAS at the civilized time of 10:35 am which will get you into BDL at 11:56 pm with five stops being made en route! And first class is available! Book it, buddy! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items have a time line of 1984......

39. This airline was operating a direct flight once a week from Santo Domingo in the D.R. to Chicago with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

41. At this time, this airline was operating two departures a day from Phoenix nonstop to Reno. One flight operated daily and the other flight operated four days a week. Different aircraft types were operated these flights. Identify the air carrier and both aircraft.
And we are making good progress here with the above quiz items remaining......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 11, 2018 at 7:08 am Reason: "answered" updates
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a bonus quiz item.....

A year earlier in 1994, Horizon Air was not operating F28 jet service into Idaho Falls; only Dash 8 service. However, two other airlines were operating jet equipment into IDA at this time, one carrier with two different jet types and the other carrier with one jet type. Name both airlines and also identify the aircraft they were operating into IDA in 1994.
Plus the bonus item above is still hanging around......
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:30 am

34. I'll start the guessing on this one, with an Ozark DC-9 via STL.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA
36. In the summer of 1983 this airline was operating direct connecting service from Anchorage, Alaska to Johannesburg, South Africa. The service was operated once a week. The first flight made one stop en route from ANC to the connecting city where the connection time interval was one hour and 45 minutes. The second flight made two stops between the connecting city and JNB. The same aircraft type was operated on both flights. Identify the airline, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting city, the two stops made by the second flight and equipment. And here's a hint: the connection city was not located in Europe.
This one is a belter. Connection, but not in Europe. However, it doesn't say the airline was not European ...

I think it's British Airways. First leg being Anchorage-Tokyo-Hong Kong, and second leg being the much-favoured weekly flight Hong Kong-Colombo-Seychelles-Jo'burg. Both run with 747s. Notably, every one of the points along the way also had its own direct BA flights to London, so it wasn't as much of a challenge to crew from base as you might imagine. Unfortunately, BA was renowned, especially among the British expat community there who formed much of the business, for turning up in Hong Kong very late, so a short connection onto a once-weekly flight would be really chancing it. Any service recovery would probably have you sent on via London, and I think they would be happier if you had gone through there from Anchorage in the first place.

BA ( well, really BOAC) also long had a significant flow between Asia and Africa, connecting at Cairo. This went right back to pre-WW2 Imperial Airways days when the flying boat services to both continents shared the same route out to Alexandria, in Egypt, where there was a significant IAW maintenance base and mail sorting centre.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 9, 2018 at 4:48 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
34. I'll start the guessing on this one, with an Ozark DC-9 via STL.
And the arrival airport in Houston was........?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Note: Royal Service in F DEN-DFW-MCO
Wow! The 1.5 hour 650 mile DEN-DFW run rated Royal Service? I thought that was reserved for flights over 2.5 hours. Very nice.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Wow! The 1.5 hour 650 mile DEN-DFW run rated Royal Service? I thought that was reserved for flights over 2.5 hours. Very nice.
Well, I went back and checked on this.....and oops! I was mistaken.....no Royal Service DEN-DFW; only DFW-MCO. My apologies!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
This one is a belter. Connection, but not in Europe. However, it doesn't say the airline was not European ...

I think it's British Airways. First leg being Anchorage-Tokyo-Hong Kong, and second leg being the much-favoured weekly flight Hong Kong-Colombo-Seychelles-Jo'burg. Both run with 747s. Notably, every one of the points along the way also had its own direct BA flights to London, so it wasn't as much of a challenge to crew from base as you might imagine. Unfortunately, BA was renowned, especially among the British expat community there who formed much of the business, for turning up in Hong Kong very late, so a short connection onto a once-weekly flight would be really chancing it. Any service recovery would probably have you sent on via London, and I think they would be happier if you had gone through there from Anchorage in the first place.

BA ( well, really BOAC) also long had a significant flow between Asia and Africa, connecting at Cairo. This went right back to pre-WW2 Imperial Airways days when the flying boat services to both continents shared the same route out to Alexandria, in Egypt, where there was a significant IAW maintenance base and mail sorting centre.
36. British Airways is correct! The BA service from Anchorage to Hong Kong originated at London Heathrow, of course.....and what is even more interesting is the electronic version of the OAG I accessed to formulate this quiz item actually lists through service from Anchorage to Johannesburg with no change of plane with stops being made in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Colombo and Mahe Island in the Seychelles. The OAG states that BA 5 departed ANC every Thursday at 1:20 pm and arrived in JNB at 7:30 am on Saturday.

However, I'm not quite sure I believe this was actually a through flight as I discovered there was a flight number change at Hong Kong. So taking the conservative approach, I posed this quiz item as a connecting service. Here's the sched.....

BA 5: Anchorage (ANC) 1:20p - 2:40pm +1 Tokyo Narita (NRT) 4:40p - 8:00p Hong Kong (HKG) BA 25: 9:45p - 12:20a+1 Colombo (CMB) 1:50a* - 3:05a* Mahe, Seychelles (SEZ) 4:35a - 7:30a Johannesburg (JNB)
Op: Thursdays only
Equip: 747
Note: * - I have estimated the departure and arrival times between CMB and SEZ as the electronic version of the OAG I used did not list inbound schedules for Mahe, Seychelles

So was this actually a through service or was a plane change made at HKG? Or did the same aircraft make the long trek from LHR over the pole to ANC and then all the way to JNB (with flight crew changes en route, of course)? I'll leave these questions open for discussion.....and if it was a through service from ANC to JNB, I can just see Seat 2A on board the aircraft.....in First.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 9, 2018 at 9:27 am Reason: airport code correction
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:50 am

Could have been a through aircraft, but there always seemed one or two BA 747s at Hong Kong, until 1980 they had the monopoly on flights there from London, it being regarded as essentially a domestic route. You even were not allowed to single-ticket a passenger on say KLM from London to Hong Kong via Amsterdam. Pilots were always from London, but BA had a significant flight attendant base in Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific had long been restricted to within Asia, flights to the USA, Australia, and even Continental Europe were the province of BA.

A change of UK government in 1979 led to opening up for competition on the London run. Cathay Pacific, British Caledonian and Laker all applied for what they felt would be one additional authorisation. To everyone's surprise the government gave the OK to the lot. Laker never started (despite it having been a significant charter flight destination for them) but the others did.

By early 1990s Cathay Pacific was also doing Hong Kong-Jo'burg nonstop with 747-400s, and BA had left the route. I had typical British expat relatives in Hong Kong, and mama travelled with a 6-month old baby (for whom it was a first flight), on their own, on the flight, which is about 12 hours, to see further relatives. The baby started screaming when the engines started up at Hong Kong and never stopped until they shut down at Johannesburg. Never stopped for a second. Totally full flight. It's still recalled as a family nightmare. If there's anyone reading this who was on the same flight ... sorry.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 9, 2018 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:20 pm

30. Now you are in Clearwater, Florida and it's 1972. You're off to Miami and have found an evening flight departing from the airport closest to your location. This service operates daily and makes one stop en route. Name the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the stop and the equipment.
Nearest airport to Clearwater is St Petersburg PIE. Some may recall my links from former times with the flying training organisation there; it was quite impressive taking off a Cessna 152 from the 10,000 foot runway. Anyway, at that time it was going through one of its periodic intervals with no scheduled service at all, notwithstanding a grand terminal. There were however charters to Canada, and a UPS base, where one evening I got in the way of a DC8-73F departure, holding it up for ... about 20 seconds. The lady in the tower nearly wet herself.

I think in 1972 it would just have been saved from another such no-schedules period by Air Florida, starting off with Electras, gong to Miami via Orlando.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

The airport Ozark used would have been Hobby / HOU, which was much closer to NASA / Johnson than IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.