Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Almost done! All well done so far!

1. This answer was given from the previous round

11. Huntsville being the second stop is correct! Here's the sched...

EA 665: Chicago O'hare (ORD) 6:30p - 8:14p Huntsville (HSV) 8:44p - 9:10p Birmingham (BHM) 9:35p - 10:24p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Electra PROPJET
Service classes: A/T
Meal service: Dinner ORD-HSV

Fast forward to early 1992. You are again in Birmingham, Alabama in the late afternoon and head to the airport for an evening departure to Chicago O'Hare. How can you get there with a one stop (no change of plane) in Huntsville? In fact, through passengers are allowed to stay on the plane. Airline and aircraft, please.
Hint: the airline has not ceased operation.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11- United, 737-300
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
11- United, 737-300
Correct!

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 25, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Awaiting a new quiz!

In the mean time, a bonus question to the last quiz.

12. It is 1984. This morning's flight from Heathrow (London LHR) to Riem (Munich MUC) is aboard a Lufthansa Boeing 737-200. Is smoking allowed? If so, where is the smoking section?

a. airport terminal only
b. some other answer (and describe, please)

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 26, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA
Awaiting a new quiz!

In the mean time, a bonus question to the last quiz.

12. It is 1984. This morning's flight from Heathrow (London LHR) to Riem (Munich MUC) is aboard a Lufthansa Boeing 737-200. Is smoking allowed? If so, where is the smoking section?

a. airport terminal only
b. some other answer (and describe, please)
I'm just wondering ... was Lufthansa one of those odd airlines that had the smoking section on the left hand side and the non-smoking section on the right hand side of the aisle ?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm just wondering ... was Lufthansa one of those odd airlines that had the smoking section on the left hand side and the non-smoking section on the right hand side of the aisle ?
Correct! Very bizarre configuration.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The theory at the time was that the ventilation was divided that way and so the smoke stayed on its side of the aircraft. The obvious drawback was that half of the seats were always smoky.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
in the mid- to late 1980s, as U.S. carriers were minimizing and eventually phasing out smoking sections, both United and TWA cut the First Class section on their narrow-body jets to the A and B seats in the last row ... my then-girlfriend (now Mrs767) and I made several cross-country trips where I deliberately booked those seats to ensure that we would be in a smoke-free F cabin
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Still waiting on the next quiz so here's another bonus question.

13. Many of the previous questions were from 1984. Fast forward to September 2007. You're leaving Allentown (ABE) to Newark (EWR) at roughly 12 noon for a connecting flight. The ABE EWR segment is ticketed on Continental Airlines.

What aircraft is used? Is there First Class? Approximately how many Economy/Coach seats?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Still waiting on the next quiz

I am working on a few new questions, but given my limited intellect and propensity to overindulge in whiskey on a nightly basis, the process is tortuously slow. Things were better in the psilocybin days.

Additionally, in four days I'll be making a short trip which will involve heading out to sea for a couple of days where I'll not have any internet access. As things look now, it might be best to wait until April 2nd when I get back. Unless that is, you don't mind the extended time off while I'm at sea in which case I could probably toss you a few bones by Thursday

13. Many of the previous questions were from 1984. Fast forward to September 2007. You're leaving Allentown (ABE) to Newark (EWR) at roughly 12 noon for a connecting flight. The ABE EWR segment is ticketed on Continental Airlines. What aircraft is used? Is there First Class? Approximately how many Economy/Coach seats?

This sounds like Continental Express. Any detail beyond that is a crap shoot, so for now I'll leave it at that. But here's the thing - it's only about 80 miles from ABE to EWR and I know that for awhile Continental was using a bus service to get its passengers to Newark. As such, the "aircraft" might have been an MCI J4500 motor coach. With its stunning good looks and steadfast dependability, it may well have offered a superior transportation experience compared to some nameless Embraer or Dash 8. No First Class seating would have been available, but the industry standard for buses of this size is typically 44 seats, so let's go with that.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:20 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13- I may be misremembering, but I think CO’s ABE<—>EWR “tags” actually used a thruway bus with ~57 seats

Edit: I see Seat 2A beat me to the answer!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
13. Many of the previous questions were from 1984. Fast forward to September 2007. You're leaving Allentown (ABE) to Newark (EWR) at roughly 12 noon for a connecting flight. The ABE EWR segment is ticketed on Continental Airlines. What aircraft is used? Is there First Class? Approximately how many Economy/Coach seats?

This sounds like Continental Express. Any detail beyond that is a crap shoot, so for now I'll leave it at that. But here's the thing - it's only about 80 miles from ABE to EWR and I know that for awhile Continental was using a bus service to get its passengers to Newark. As such, the "aircraft" might have been an MCI J4500 motor coach. With its stunning good looks and steadfast dependability, it may well have offered a superior transportation experience compared to some nameless Embraer or Dash 8. No First Class seating would have been available, but the industry standard for buses of this size is typically 44 seats, so let's go with that.
Mostly correct! It was a bus.

Continental assigned a flight number and passengers checked in the terminal, not the curbside. Checked bags were screened and, after placement in the luggage area, was sealed with security tape.

Instead of a fancy motor coach, a small rental car shuttle type bus was used, seating 20-25 passengers.

Possibly due to abuse, Continental awarded only base OnePass frequent flyer miles and not elite qualifying miles.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here's wishing OTAQ&D quizmeister jlemon an upgrade to Flagship Business Class on his American Airlines flight to London this evening. Hopefully he and WHBM will be able to get together for a visit to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. That looks like it could easily be a day long excursion. One of these days I should like to make a visit there myself. Hopefully the weather will be as unseasonably warm for JL as it was when I was in London four weeks ago.

I will be visiting with jlemon in Lafayette in a couple weeks. Perhaps we can work up a couple of joint questions for the cognoscenti...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BA
Wasn't the only one, several middle-Europe airlines seem to have done the same. Do I recall Alitalia, and possibly Aeroflot (on international flights) did the same.

Lufthansa always seemed to have more concern about smokers than many, and did various announcements about how they were seeking a solution to allow it to continue on board. Hence by the mid-1990s they ended up as the last carrier between Australia (which they still served then) and Europe to allow it. A onetime Australian colleague travelled to London then, and deliberately selected LH because of this. It's a long flight so you inevitably get chatting to the (fellow smoker) passenger next to you, in his case a delightful young lady returning to Germany. Sufficiently delightful that shortly after arriving in London he spent a weekend making a quick trip to Germany. And a few weekends later another one ... they've been married for over 20 years now. Haven't you, L and C ?

Here's wishing OTAQ&D quizmeister jlemon an upgrade to Flagship Business Class on his American Airlines flight to London this evening
Currently mid-Atlantic, into London in 2.5 hours time.
Seat 2A and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:34 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:30 am
Suspended

In view of Seat 2A's trip and quiz not being ready until April 2nd, I'll add two more bonus questions.

Like the last question, it's about more recent decades, post-1960's and 70's.

14. It's a Sunday in mid-May 2002. You're in Memphis, Tennessee, USA and are flying to Charlotte, North Carolina. The flight is 5:35 pm. For a not yet revealed reason, you or that other passenger is happy about the flight. Which airline's flight are you on? What aircraft? Although very open ended and vague, why is that other passenger happy?

15. What airline had a necktie as part of its livery? The necktie was painted on the tail. What aircraft used this livery?

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.