Reload this Page >

favorite dumb pax comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

favorite dumb pax comments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Latecomer to the thread. Here's the favorite IME....

Late Friday afternoon springtime STL. Storms causing major delays and cancellations all over the midwest. I'm in a long line trying to rebook STL-MDW with a lady kettle immediately in front of me....

Pax: I was on your 4:20pm flight, which you're showing as delayed.

GA: I'm sorry madam, but as you can see, we're experiencing some severe weather this afternoon.

Pax: Well what time would we get in?

GA: Well, right now, the flight is delayed by at least two hours....so if that holds, we can hopefully have you at MDW by perhaps 7 or 7:30.

Pax: Is there anything earlier?

GA: No maam...everything else is either cancelled or delayed as well. There's nothing leaving before your flight. It's all for your safety.

Pax (getting exasperated): But we have THEATRE TICKETS!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Latecomer to the thread. Here's the favorite IME....

Late Friday afternoon springtime STL. Storms causing major delays and cancellations all over the midwest. I'm in a long line trying to rebook STL-MDW with a lady kettle immediately in front of me....

Pax: I was on your 4:20pm flight, which you're showing as delayed.

GA: I'm sorry madam, but as you can see, we're experiencing some severe weather this afternoon.

Pax: Well what time would we get in?

GA: Well, right now, the flight is delayed by at least two hours....so if that holds, we can hopefully have you at MDW by perhaps 7 or 7:30.

Pax: Is there anything earlier?

GA: No maam...everything else is either cancelled or delayed as well. There's nothing leaving before your flight. It's all for your safety.

Pax (getting exasperated): But we have THEATRE TICKETS!
Heeeeeeeeeeere's your sign...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:36 pm

Here is one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...liability.html
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
I had a new employee tell me that he didn't like our corporate airline choices of AA or UA, and that he'd much rather fly WN. After slapping him repeatedly to bring him to his senses, I calmly explained that only hillbillies and Texans fly WN. After gaining status on a real airline for the first time later that year, he understood how wrong he had been.
In defense of WN - it is great for tall folks who don't fly enough to get status (like me!). I have never had a WN flight where I didn't get an exit row or bulkhead seat with plenty of leg room. The fact that there is always space for my carry on is doubly awesome.

Doesn't hurt that their FAs are typically young enough to be the children or grand children of the FAs on AA and have the energy/happiness to prove it.

I get the reasons people don't like them - but there are also some reasons to *love* WN.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
In defense of WN - it is great for tall folks who don't fly enough to get status (like me!). I have never had a WN flight where I didn't get an exit row or bulkhead seat with plenty of leg room. The fact that there is always space for my carry on is doubly awesome.
+1.

I've had status on several airlines over the years, with my share of upgrades and award flights. With airline cutbacks at my home airport there is no dominant carrier, so trying to focus my flying on one airline means lots of lousy schedules. I've stopped chasing status and now I go with best schedule/price, and that often ends up being WN. Vs. coach on the major airlines, WN stacks up very well.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by djk7
+1.

I've had status on several airlines over the years, with my share of upgrades and award flights. With airline cutbacks at my home airport there is no dominant carrier, so trying to focus my flying on one airline means lots of lousy schedules. I've stopped chasing status and now I go with best schedule/price, and that often ends up being WN. Vs. coach on the major airlines, WN stacks up very well.
Don't want to go OT, but I found that as a non-status pax flying domestically in the US I much preferred the likes of AirTran or Southwest because I could pay a reasonable amount for things the legacy carriers would give away for free to their FF (such as exit row seating and priority boarding on an AirTran redeye for $20)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I was at the first class check in at LGA and the person in line in front of me strides to the front with a real DYKWIA attitude and announces he is on a flight leaving in about 30 minutes. The agent says that isn't much time and he says, that is okay we are in first class and hands the agent a print out of the itinerary. She looks at it and says, "sir, this flight is out of JFK, you will have to go there for rebooking, next in the first class line please".
I've done similar, proudly tossed in a BMI gold card to a Shanghai Airlines GA at SHA. She initially asked which airline it is from and I said 'BD'. Also commented 'so yuo've removed all star alliance signs even before leaving the alliance then?'.

5 seconds later she tosses the card back to counter with a smile: Sir, your flight leaves from PVG in next 25 minutes. And *G has a benefit of priority waitlisting in Y. Good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I can imagine how this worked. Sitting in a small, cold room tied to a chair. "You do not like Southwest!" "But they have open seating!" SMACK "You do not like Southwest! They have no first class or lounges! Say it!"
Uncannily accurate. Fortunately, I did not need to resort to electric shock or Justin Bieber, as that would have been inhumane.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by uoficowboy

Doesn't hurt that their FAs are typically young enough to be the children or grand children of the FAs on AA and have the energy/happiness to prove it.

I get the reasons people don't like them - but there are also some reasons to *love* WN.
Unless you are flying business select, how are you always able to get an exit row or bulk head???? Usually those get snatched up from the throughs. If you are lucky enough to be in the starting city of a flight, usualyl the people that pay for business select take those seats and if they don't the a-listers or people with EBCI take them.

Even if you pay for EBCI, you aren't guaranteed a good seat with the throughs having first access to them.

A person with gold status or higher on Delta gets more benefits from flying in Y on a L, U, or T fare than a person paying for business select does on WN.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
6am flight to ORD on Monday: GA calls Military/GS/1st and the guy walks up to the agent with a roller luggage and 2 other bags. GA tells him he can only carry on a total of 2 bags. Guy gets frustfrated, pulls his stuff aside sounding clearly annoyed and then turns to the GA and says "you know, i'm flying first class!"
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Palal
Here's an article describing exactly what I mentioned.
I am glad to read that none of the survivors died.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am glad to read that none of the survivors died.
Generally that's how it works, survivors, by definition, don't die

But yes, glad no passengers died
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Unless you are flying business select, how are you always able to get an exit row or bulk head???? Usually those get snatched up from the throughs. If you are lucky enough to be in the starting city of a flight, usualyl the people that pay for business select take those seats and if they don't the a-listers or people with EBCI take them.

Even if you pay for EBCI, you aren't guaranteed a good seat with the throughs having first access to them.

A person with gold status or higher on Delta gets more benefits from flying in Y on a L, U, or T fare than a person paying for business select does on WN.
I've only recently started flying WN - so it's possible that my information is inaccurate. But I've had 6 legs (three one ways) - and on all 6 flights I had exit rows or bulkheads. Many of those have been middle seats - but a middle exit row or bulkhead is 10x better than an aisle anything else.

In fact, on the last flight I was on, I flew STL-MDW and got on nearly last and nabbed an exit row middle seat (the row that doesn't have a window seat). When everybody got off the plane, I nabbed a bulkhead window, and then the middle seat next to me was either among the last three seats to be taken.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Overheard while boarding a CRJ at COS, standing behind this Hillbilly:

Shows BP to gate agent: "This is not a middle seat, is it?".
GA: "No sir, there are no middles on this plane"
Hillbilly: "But if you are wrong, who can I complain to?"

Also worth noting, this guy muttered "We could be walking to our deaths" to his wife/sister as he boarded.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I can imagine how this worked. Sitting in a small, cold room tied to a chair. "You do not like Southwest!" "But they have open seating!" SMACK "You do not like Southwest! They have no first class or lounges! Say it!"
My Father-in-law give my DW a $100 Southwest gift card. He is an AA PLT, my DW is an A GLD.

I just looked at it wondering what the heck he was thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.