Wiki Posts
Search

favorite dumb pax comments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by t325
"Because your air fare would have been a hell of a lot more if airplanes are one-time-use only"
HA
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mskitty
Not really a dumb PAX story. Actually, it's kind of cute.

Was seated next to a Dad traveling with his 6 year-old daughter. After getting settled in their seats the little girl pulls out the emergency card that explains the water landing procedures. She asks her dad about it and he begins to explain it to her. A short time later I hear...

Girl: Daddy? Can we play on those rafts?
Dad: No they're not for play, they're only for emergencies.
Girl: I hope we have an emergency.
Welcome to FT!

Yes, your story is a classic!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by remphish1
Or they needed to go last minute and could get a reward seat instead of shelling out a premium...I had to book soomeone sorta last minute and was able to nab a 20,000 mile one way ticket on Delta ATL-LGA vs paying $300..worth it!
How did you get a one-way miles ticket on DL? Because I'd love to hear!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by remphish1
Or they needed to go last minute and could get a reward seat instead of shelling out a premium...I had to book soomeone sorta last minute and was able to nab a 20,000 mile one way ticket on Delta ATL-LGA vs paying $300..worth it!
I can't prove it, but the seat she was sitting in was reserved when I made my Y reservation, about 2 weeks out. Tix in Y were very reasonably priced at the time. Being rather obsessive about my upgrade potential I checked the seat map everyday and her seat never popped open. I cleared at 72 hours and then kept close watch because she was in my favorite seat.

Does that prove anything? No. But I suspect she booked when RT tix were still in the low $200 range.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
A few years ago I was flying a PHX-ORD flight and the woman next to me kept muttering "this is the longest flight EVER". I think it clocked in as under 3 hours...what a whiner!
Similar story here, but naivete instead of whining: flying IAD-DFW (iirc), pilot announces a 3h20m flight time, and the passenger next to me turns to her husband and says "Wow, this flight is going to be SO LONG."
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by palefire
Similar story here, but naivete instead of whining: flying IAD-DFW (iirc), pilot announces a 3h20m flight time, and the passenger next to me turns to her husband and says "Wow, this flight is going to be SO LONG."
Meh, I'm not sure if that's really that stupid of a comment. My mom is like that. She has a fear of flying (but does it since she hates long car rides even more) so she considers a flight of any length long. Sure, it's a dumb comment to FT where people will do EWR-SIN and turn around and go back to EWR for a mileage run and not blink an eye at the nearly 40 hours of flight time, but I can't fault someone for complaining that a 3 hour flight is long
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Southwest doesn't need me to defend them, but for people that don't have status, Southwest is often the better choice.
I agree. I flew SWA extensively before switching to Delta when my travel needs changed to include international trips. I'd much rather fly SWA than Delta without status. Once I had status on Delta, Delta was the better experience, however.

I averaged about two round-trips per month, often with one connection each way, on SWA for about three years. In that time, I arrived at my destination more than one-hour late exactly twice and never more than two-hours late. In my first two months flying Delta, they delayed me overnight twice!

I like the friendliness and enthusiasm of most SWA employees. It's something that I often miss on other carriers. It is nice to be served by employees who clearly enjoy what they're doing.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Meh, I'm not sure if that's really that stupid of a comment. My mom is like that. She has a fear of flying (but does it since she hates long car rides even more) so she considers a flight of any length long. Sure, it's a dumb comment to FT where people will do EWR-SIN and turn around and go back to EWR for a mileage run and not blink an eye at the nearly 40 hours of flight time, but I can't fault someone for complaining that a 3 hour flight is long
I complain that anything over 2 hours is too long in an RJ and anything over 90 minutes in a Dash 8.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I agree. I flew SWA extensively before switching to Delta when my travel needs changed to include international trips. I'd much rather fly SWA than Delta without status. Once I had status on Delta, Delta was the better experience, however.

I averaged about two round-trips per month, often with one connection each way, on SWA for about three years. In that time, I arrived at my destination more than one-hour late exactly twice and never more than two-hours late. In my first two months flying Delta, they delayed me overnight twice!

I like the friendliness and enthusiasm of most SWA employees. It's something that I often miss on other carriers. It is nice to be served by employees who clearly enjoy what they're doing.
I agree completely. I havent flown them for a while since they dont go much of where I want to go from where I am. And while as an EXP AA treats me great, if you dont have status Southwest is probably the best bet.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: UA, NW
In 1985, I was in NRT waiting for a flight back to the States, when I struck up a conversation with a group of Americans, who turned out to be members of the Chicago Board of Aldermen on their way back from a trade mission to East Asia.

One of them got up to get a cup of coffee, and I soon saw that harsh words were being exchanged between him and the counter attendant. Since I speak Japanese, I went over to see if I could mediate.

"They won't take American money for the coffee!" the Alderman exclaimed indignantly.

The Japanese counter attendant was saying over and over, "We cannot take dollar."

In fact, at the time, it was illegal to use any currency but yen in Japan. I explained this to the Alderman.

He frowned, thought for a moment, and said, "But this is the airport."

"Yes, and it's an airport in Japan," I reminded him.

I could tell that he thought that this was an unfair application of the rules.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
In 1985, I was in NRT waiting for a flight back to the States, when I struck up a conversation with a group of Americans, who turned out to be members of the Chicago Board of Aldermen on their way back from a trade mission to East Asia.

One of them got up to get a cup of coffee, and I soon saw that harsh words were being exchanged between him and the counter attendant. Since I speak Japanese, I went over to see if I could mediate.

"They won't take American money for the coffee!" the Alderman exclaimed indignantly.

The Japanese counter attendant was saying over and over, "We cannot take dollar."

In fact, at the time, it was illegal to use any currency but yen in Japan. I explained this to the Alderman.

As I have learned living in FL, tourists have Diplomatic Immunity!. Recently overheard here in Tampa during the International Dragon Boat races, was a woman from a Eastern European team claiming since she could legally drink in her home country, she must be served here, though under 21. Then she claimed since her biceps where bigger than the bouncers, she should be allowed to drink.

She was forced to move on!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness

I have a relative who does the same thing, but tries to apply it for the entire country! She thinks she can use her USD everywhere she wants.

Took a family-related trip to Europe with her a few years ago and I'll never do that again.

What's strange is she's actually very well travelled. She'd make most FTers blush. Somehow, don't know how, she's managed to stay clueless to aspects of travel that are second nature to us. Always checks her bags, takes two suitcases and a day bag everywhere, flies at least 75k/year but doesn't know the first thing about FFPs. Ends up in middle seats because she doesn't know to assign it online in advance.

It's very strange and mildly annoying...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:34 am

My dad was like that when he went to the UK for the first time earlier this year. He thought everyone would take USD because of all the tourists. "Why wouldn't they? London has a lot of tourists from the US, why wouldn't they take American money?"

Prior to that trip, the extent of his international travel had been the Mexican Riviera and a bunch of Caribbean Islands that were ports of call on cruises, and those places do usually accept American money so that's where he got the idea that American tourists=USD accepted.

After reminding him that you're not going to find any tourist traps in the US taking pounds, if places in London accepted money from every country where they have tourists from, shops would have to deal with dozens of different currencies, and that dealing with currency exchange is half the "fun" of international travel, he came to his senses.

Of course, it was all a moot point because we used the one currency that's accepted anywhere in the world - plastic.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My dad was like that when he went to the UK for the first time earlier this year. He thought everyone would take USD because of all the tourists. "Why wouldn't they? London has a lot of tourists from the US, why wouldn't they take American money?"

Prior to that trip, the extent of his international travel had been the Mexican Riviera and a bunch of Caribbean Islands that were ports of call on cruises, and those places do usually accept American money so that's where he got the idea that American tourists=USD accepted.

After reminding him that you're not going to find any tourist traps in the US taking pounds, if places in London accepted money from every country where they have tourists from, shops would have to deal with dozens of different currencies, and that dealing with currency exchange is half the "fun" of international travel, he came to his senses.

Of course, it was all a moot point because we used the one currency that's accepted anywhere in the world - plastic.
There are some places in Central London for example that do accept Euros and/or US Dollars.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:06 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Maybe slightly off topic because it was a comment from a TSA agent at JFK, not a pax;

TSA agent taking my bottle of cologne off the plastic bag and telling me it's too big and I can't take it with me unless I check the bag. The volume content on the bottle is in ml, not ounces. I tell the guy, this bottle is less than 100 ml and it's fine. He responds he does know metric so I should check it. I go:
"but look at the size of the bottle, it's obviously less than 3.4 ounces"
He responds very seriously:
"Sir, sometime you can fit large volumes in small containers"

I gave up at that point and abandoned my bottle of cologne...
That's FUNNY! (sad, but funny)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.