favorite dumb pax comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

favorite dumb pax comments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:36 am
Suspended

"Saw a woman not long ago trying to go through security with two one-liter bottles that were frozen! She argued at length that TSA regulations only prohibited liquid items, and that ice as a solid was exempt. This went on for several minutes. She even tried arguing then that metal should be forbidden, since metal can also be liquified at high temperatures."

Actually, that sounds pretty intelligent to me! First of all, it's ACCURATE. Ice is not a liquid. Unless the rules say you cannot bring SOLIDS through, she was technically correct.

All matter is a solid, gas, liquid and some is plasma. With the exception of plasma I think, they can all undego phase transition between gas solid and liquid..including metal. All solids are just liquids at differing levels of viscosity. From a reasonable standpoint however, unless she had the means to melt metal on her person, arguing the concept in a philosophical context with TSA agents is a big waste of time and slows up the line.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:19 am

Quite some time ago, this older guy who assumed I was in the wrong line when the GA started making announcement that first class can now start boarding. I did have a first class ticket and the guy told me that this line is only for first class people. I showed my ticket and I replied "are you one of the 4 people who will be sitting in first?"

He didn't say a word after that. I couldn't find him in first though
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rollafan
Quite some time ago, this older guy who assumed I was in the wrong line when the GA started making announcement that first class can now start boarding. I did have a first class ticket and the guy told me that this line is only for first class people. I showed my ticket and I replied "are you one of the 4 people who will be sitting in first?"

Oh related to that:

couple weeks ago flying CHS-ATL-MSP, at the ATL-MSP leg, i arrive to the gate about 5 min before boarding is gonna start, with my PB for first. Normal horde of people, but notice a family (dad + 3 kids ages prob 12-16) standing near the gate. They are all holding their BPs and i notice they are in row 20 something, cant make out the zone but dont think it was zone 1. GA makes announcement for pre-board, elderly couple boards. She then makes announcement for "First class is welcome to board now through the Sky Priority lane" and the family bolts to the front of the line, while rest of the F group lines up behind them. The dad hands his BP to the GA, who looks at it and says:
"I'm sorry sir we aren't boarding this zone yet, please move out of the line and wait till we call it"
"You called for sky priority, we are sky priority"
"No sir this is first class only"
"then why did you call for sky priority?!"
"I didn't"
They turn around and plow back through the line of first class passengers now waiting to board, the whole time grumbling "why the **** did she call for us to board then?!?!"

I take my seat in 1D and its a good 10+ min before they board, guessing they were zone 2 or 3. Really wish people could listen and know what zone they are sometimes
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Oh related to that:

couple weeks ago flying CHS-ATL-MSP, at the ATL-MSP leg, i arrive to the gate about 5 min before boarding is gonna start, with my PB for first. Normal horde of people, but notice a family (dad + 3 kids ages prob 12-16) standing near the gate. They are all holding their BPs and i notice they are in row 20 something, cant make out the zone but dont think it was zone 1. GA makes announcement for pre-board, elderly couple boards. She then makes announcement for "First class is welcome to board now through the Sky Priority lane" and the family bolts to the front of the line, while rest of the F group lines up behind them. The dad hands his BP to the GA, who looks at it and says:
"I'm sorry sir we aren't boarding this zone yet, please move out of the line and wait till we call it"
"You called for sky priority, we are sky priority"
"No sir this is first class only"
"then why did you call for sky priority?!"
"I didn't"
They turn around and plow back through the line of first class passengers now waiting to board, the whole time grumbling "why the **** did she call for us to board then?!?!"

I take my seat in 1D and its a good 10+ min before they board, guessing they were zone 2 or 3. Really wish people could listen and know what zone they are sometimes
If they were zone 2 or 3, I wonder if they tried boarding with Sky Priority as well when Zone 1 was called
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If they were zone 2 or 3, I wonder if they tried boarding with Sky Priority as well when Zone 1 was called
One could try boarding before the zone is called..

all the GAs will do is say no.. and when the zone is called.. basically first one on if standing at the gate..
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:10 am

On the opposite tack of the people with kids not being in first - first class boarding is called and there is a couple with two kids starting to move forward and this man in front of me starts yelling that they weren't called to board and they should get out of his way - really rude and keeps on yelling - they let him through and he's still muttering. Turns out the couple AND both kids paid for first class (no upgrade as I heard her say she paid). They asked me if I was with the rude guy and I was thankful to say NO! He was nonplussed to see them sitting across the aisle from him - kids were very well-behaved and we never heard them - I kind of wish they annoyed him
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Linda VH
On the opposite tack of the people with kids not being in first - first class boarding is called and there is a couple with two kids starting to move forward and this man in front of me starts yelling that they weren't called to board and they should get out of his way - really rude and keeps on yelling - they let him through and he's still muttering. Turns out the couple AND both kids paid for first class (no upgrade as I heard her say she paid). They asked me if I was with the rude guy and I was thankful to say NO! He was nonplussed to see them sitting across the aisle from him - kids were very well-behaved and we never heard them - I kind of wish they annoyed him
LOL!

Making assumptions that families don't fly first class.. in this case was wrong..

Really, the flyer who was yelling should relax and not make assumptions..
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
LOL!

Making assumptions that families don't fly first class.. in this case was wrong..

Really, the flyer who was yelling should relax and not make assumptions..
^^^ would have paid to see the look on his face
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
^^^ would have paid to see the look on his face
We get a similar sense from the OP of this thread..

similar sentiments I suppose..
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Groggy passenger trudged up to the AA check in desk at ICT out of habit. Pulled out ticket for 6 am flight.

AA ticket agents said "That ticket is for a United flight."

That was me. I was so used to flying AA out of Wichita that I forgot that this particular flight was on United.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Groggy passenger trudged up to the AA check in desk at ICT out of habit. Pulled out ticket for 6 am flight.

AA ticket agents said "That ticket is for a United flight."

That was me. I was so used to flying AA out of Wichita that I forgot that this particular flight was on United.
That was at checkin I presume.. just a one minute detour supposedly to get to the UA counter?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
That was at checkin I presume.. just a one minute detour supposedly to get to the UA counter?
Yeah. I had to trudge another 25 feet or so to the United counter.

I felt like such an idiot.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
in honour of this thread I think I am going to start making stupid pax comments of my own. Just need some ideas...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
the important thing is that you got out of wichita. how you got out of doo-dah is a lesser consideration.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rollafan
I showed my ticket and I replied "are you one of the 4 people who will be sitting in first?"

^^

Love it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.