Community
Wiki Posts
Search

favorite dumb pax comments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I really hope that at some point I am at PWM and there's someone arguing with the GA that they are in fact in Oregon.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:52 pm

Humor from CSG

Throughout my 2 years in CSG, I got to know the GAs pretty well...there was only one gate, and only 4 DL (ASA) flights per day served the airport, with 50% being CX or delayed. None the less, they had plenty of good stories.

The most memorable was that of a young Army wife flying for the first time. The GA asked her if she wanted a window seat or an aisle seat. She pondered it for a bit, and then told him "well, I just got my hair done, and don't want it messed up by the wind, so I better take the aisle seat".
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Anyone who gets on a CRJ or ERJ and says "this is the smallest plane ever!"
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by t325
I had an odd moment like that with a rental car. My rental was a Prius (ugh) and it was the first time I drove a car with push button start. I spent 5 minutes in the Hertz lot trying to figure out how to start the damn thing, and eventually gave up and went inside and asked. They told me I had to put my foot on the brake to start it.
LOL..... me exactly! Was at Hertz and they gave me a Prius (ugh is right). I had NEVER driven an electric car and know absolutely nothing about them. Got in, put my foot on the brake and started the car. Didn't hear anything. Took the key out of the ignition, put it back in, started the car again, still didn't hear anything.
Finally I roll down the window and ask:

Excuse me...... is there something wrong with this car?

No, ma'am, it's a Prius.

OK, but it won't start.

Just put your foot on the break and turn the key.

I did. Nothing happened.

It's electric.

OK.......this car does have an engine right? I don't HEAR anything.

Ma'am, it's electric..........

Still doesn't answer my question, does this car have an engine?

Just then a manager walked up and I told him my problem. He chuckled and said, you won't hear anything because it is running on the battery, you won't hear anything till you go faster than 35 mph....... I looked at him, put my head on the steering wheel and burst out laughing..... we all laughed and damn, I felt like such a Kettle...... LOL LOL LOL

__________________________________________________ _______________

Recently on a flight out of Phoenix, was in line for security and the lady in front of me was talking to her friends, how this security line was taking so long, she flies all the time and never has to do anything like this. They all continue chatting all the while not getting ready to go through the detector. I take off my shoes, belt, pull out my computer, goody bag all in the bins and this woman turns and looks at me and asks me, "what am I doing?" I told her getting ready to go through security.
"Oh that's ridiculous, I have NEVER had to do that!"
"Do you fly in a private plane, because otherwise you do have to do this."
"Oh I NEVER.....I don't know what you are talking about!"
"When did you fly last..........??"
"1999 and I flew ALL the time!"

Ok.........
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Anyone who gets on a CRJ or ERJ and says "this is the smallest plane ever!"
The atmosphere of nervous confusion that permeates the cabin whenever people start to board a 340 or Q400 always cracks me up. Especially when the engines start their slooooooowwwww spool-up and the whole aircraft is vibrating...someone always freaks out.

Also: ...Kettle? Define, please? (<-n00b)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
The atmosphere of nervous confusion that permeates the cabin whenever people start to board a 340 or Q400 always cracks me up. Especially when the engines start their slooooooowwwww spool-up and the whole aircraft is vibrating...someone always freaks out.

Also: ...Kettle? Define, please? (<-n00b)
A kettle is a casual flyer, the one that spends $99 round trip to fly across the country once a year and is usually clueless to frequent flyer etiquette.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by AngryPrez
This doesn't count as the dumbest, but it is one of the most memorable -- back in my single days, was sitting in a window seat on a full regional jet,and the attractive young blonde sitting to my left keeps surreptitiously glancing in my direction.

Everyone boards, and we start to taxi, and she turns to me - I'm waiting for a conversation starter of some kind.

She points to the pocket on the seat in front of me, and says -- "Are you going to need that airsickness bag? I always get sick when I take off and land, and I'm not sure one will be enough."
Hmmm, I might have to use that... if there are empty seats on the plane and I want the one next to me to be one of them.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
A kettle is a casual flyer, the one that spends $99 round trip to fly across the country once a year and is usually clueless to frequent flyer etiquette.
Here's the explanation:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...on-kettle.html
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: CO GLD, *A GLD, A"A Lifetime GLD, Avis Pres. Club, SPG PLT, Hyatt DMND, Fairmont PRMR
I've got one. I wrote it into my BB while sitting on the flight:

In my life I've seen plenty of dumb people, but never have I seen this many dumb people surrounding me. I am currently sitting on an Airtran flight from LGA-MKE. Here's the stories of the dumb people sitting around me.

The girl in front of me calls over the stewardess, and asks (in the ditziest voice possible) "Excuse me, do you know what state Milwaukee is in?"

The woman in front of me to the right is sitting in a 3 seat row. Airtran charges you to book aisle or window seats, so this particular woman was assigned the middle seat. She's sitting in the middle seat. Why is that so strange? Because there's no one in the aisle or window in her row and I guess she doesn't realize she can simply move over!

The kid in back of me to the right asks his friend if there's a time difference between New York and Milwaukee. His friend responds in the affirmative that it's an hour difference. The kids asks back, "an hour ahead or behind?" Now that's not too bad, but after his friend responds that Milwaukee is an hour behind, the kid says "I don't understand how it's exactly an hour...like, shouldn't it be an hour and 22 minutes, or an hour and 40 minutes depending how far you are?"
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
One older passenger on a LGA-FLL flight (in November - 90% of the pax onboard were over 70 years old...) insisted that her little purse take up a whole overhead bin, and she refused to move it for other passenger's bags. A while later, the FA came over to me and said, "In my 30 years of flying, I've never seen anything like that, ever!".
I'm surprised at this FA - I've seen this sort of nonsense far too often, and specifically on the NY-FLL/PBI routes. My rather simple solution to this specific problem involves taking the purse, tossing it in the old bag's lap and putting my bag in the overhead.

After 20+ years of dealing with these people in Florida, I ran out of patience and tolerance many moons ago.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by kingbear
Now that's not too bad, but after his friend responds that Milwaukee is an hour behind, the kid says "I don't understand how it's exactly an hour...like, shouldn't it be an hour and 22 minutes, or an hour and 40 minutes depending how far you are?"
Until about 125 years ago (in the US), he would have been right. Each town set their own clock based on the sun being directly overhead at noon. This made things difficult for the railroads, so they created time zones, which were not immediately embraced by all. Time zones were officially adopted by the US in 1918. Some places, such as England, standardized time before the US did.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by aslanlab
Also TSA.

Once in TSA line and lady in front of me has a stroller. Needs to get a few last things out and tells me to go ahead. I put my stuff on the belt walk to the scanner. Agent tells me that I can't just break in line. I explain that she told me she had to get something out of her stroller and told me to go ahead. She told me that she didn't care what the woman said. I simply said, "My bad, I was just trying to be efficient."

Her response was priceless. In a very loud voice she says, "Sir, being efficient is not one of the goals of the TSA!" Dude behind me said, "NO SH!T"

Whole place erupted in laughter.
Lol Funny! Love it!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Policypeddler
I was seated in Y and watching a young man with a Starbucks Coffee in one hand and his rollerboard in the other. When he realized he couldn't put the bag overhead with one hand, he took the hot coffee and put it in his front pants pocket (cargo pants). Needless to say, when he hefted up the bag, the coffee lid came off and he had hot coffee running down his leg.....priceless! Some things can't be made up!
This reminds me of something I saw maybe 10 years ago (not on a plane, but it did involve a passenger).

A guy got on a city bus and asks the driver if he goes to x (even though the destination sign clearly stated the bus was going to that very location...but nobody reads signs anyway).

After fumbling for change to pay the fare, the guy goes to sit down, and suddenly yells out "OH S**T!" Everyone starts looking at him wondering what's going on.

The guy pulls out a cigarette, still lit, from his pants pocket.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
favorite dumb FTer comments

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
This reminds me of something I saw maybe 10 years ago (not on a plane, but it did involve a passenger).

A guy got on a city bus and asks the driver if he goes to x (even though the destination sign clearly stated the bus was going to that very location...but nobody reads signs anyway).

After fumbling for change to pay the fare, the guy goes to sit down, and suddenly yells out "OH S**T!" Everyone starts looking at him wondering what's going on.

The guy pulls out a cigarette, still lit, from his pants pocket.
I guess he was telling lies?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
In fairness polis is Greek for city...
Are you saying that Indianapolis isn't in Greece, either? Is it in India?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.