Wiki Posts
Search

Definition of a "kettle"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
Definition of a "kettle"

Hi all, still relatively new to FT, but one word I've seen thrown around a lot is "kettle." What exactly is the definition of a kettle? I'm guessing that it's used to refer to inexperienced flyers. If so, why the word "kettle"?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/12.2.024; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG7.1.12344)

I thought it was more related to kettle, pot... and that sorta' thing...

Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_and_Pa_Kettle

Pa (Franklin Kettle) is a gentle, slow-speaking, slow-thinking and lazy man. His only talents appear to be avoiding work and winning contests. Ma (Phoebe Kettle) is a robust country woman with a potato sack figure, raucous, more ambitious and smarter than Pa, but not by much, and can easily be fooled

Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It probably relates back to movies in the 40s and 50s featuring Ma and Pa Kettle. I actually remember watching some of those "a long time ago".
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Pa (Franklin Kettle) is a gentle, slow-speaking, slow-thinking and lazy man. His only talents appear to be avoiding work and winning contests. Ma (Phoebe Kettle) is a robust country woman with a potato sack figure, raucous, more ambitious and smarter than Pa, but not by much, and can easily be fooled

and thus they drink the tsa kool-aid without hesitation
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The name "kettle" was invented in the late nineteenth century by the drivers of Hackney carriages as an attempt to distinguish between their regular passengers and passengers that used the carriages infrequently. It is thought that credit must go to a character name Arthur Mow.

As you may know the London taxi drivers motto is "He was a stranger, I took him in and made him tea". Tea is made from a "kettle" and thus the phrase "put the kettle on" referring to the stranger became shortened to just "kettle". This distinction helped them to maximise fares for journeys which would not naturally contain a diversion other than that introduced by the cabbie when he had a "kettle" in his cab. It was a subtle way of letting other cabbies know that they were going to take someone "for a ride". So "kettles" are unsuspecting passengers.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
First, welcome to FT!

Second, it's a derogatory term used by FTers to describe infrequent travelers & normally used in condescending tones or phrasing by the FTers...

Third, the others have carried out the history part pretty well.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm Reason: meant to add part # 3 when i first posted...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
On the AC forum we use the term VBIT more than Kettle.

VBIT = Vacation Bound Infrequent Traveller
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IC, FPC, CO & UA dirt, 1K wannabe
It's Us!

Ma and Pa Kettle was us last weekend checking into a very nice 4*+ hotel after valeting our car, with throngs of very nicely dressed business men and women along with shops off of the lobby for Gucci and Louis Vuitton. I look over at my wife as we stand at the elite member check in desk and she is carrying her traveling pillow (no pillow case) and Trader Joe's bag with snacks and bananas hanging out of it.

Hey! Our money is as good as anyone else's right?

Oooohh Boy...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Question has been asked and pretty well answered. And since this isn't technically a CommunityBuzz! topic, we'll close it.

Please feel free to contribute to the many other active threads in the forum.

Thanks.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.