Replacement for FlightTrack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement for FlightTrack?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Please update us when TripIt integration is done.
TripIt integration is done. Update was released on the store today

Simply tap the 'i' and go to settings to connect your account
barracuda93 likes this.

Last edited by flighttrackdev; Feb 1, 2019 at 5:05 pm Reason: Instructions
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by flighttrackdev
TripIt integration is done. Update was released on the store today

Simply tap the 'i' and go to settings to connect your account
Great!

Just downloaded this and the hookup to TripIt was very smooth.

Looking forward to trying this on the road.
flighttrackdev likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:01 am

For a few months now I have used The Flight Tracker. It worked fine most of the time, but some weeks ago there was that one flight that got totally messed up. At first, the flight got more and more delayed. When the delay reached 5 hours the flight was cancelled. The Flight Tracker, at first, showed the delays, but later reported that cancelled flight as having operated on time.

That same flight, on FlightStats, was reported correctly. Thus, I am very eager to see how FlightStatus will behave in case of operational irregularities.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:00 pm

Right now I am wondering why FlightStatus doesn't give me any push notifications. Shouldn't push notifications have been implemented already?

Last edited by long legs; Feb 20, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:50 pm
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
:-: Old thread warning!

I've got pretty good news... I spent then last 2 years building the ultimate Flight Track Pro replacement, and more. I'm 100% serious, and this is from other people saying it, not me just saying that. This thread was legitimately one of the proof points for quitting my job to build it - 80k viewing (at that time) is a pretty legit proof point.

With the help of 200+ testers that fly 3x per week on average we built something really special. There are certainly some FT members on the beta.

It's called Flighty, and you'll probably see some chatter about it around here soon (hopefully!). But just wanted to stop by and say hi and let you know your dreams might be answered soon. We think launch is just weeks away. I can't post links because I'm a noob but google can find it. I'll be back around when it's available, it would be sweet to get a thread going here, with all your feedback, I can only imagine it'll be one of the Top 2-3 places to get actually good feedback.

Stoked for you all to see it. Way more info and launch soon.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan

I've got pretty good news...
Only if it's being built for Android too.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by callsignapollo
We are 100% bootstrapped so that we would not have to answer to VC's or do creepy .... with your user data – so built it for iOS first and if it succeeds there we definitely want to make Android app - I was originally not super bullish on Android, but we've gotta very many requests for it. Maybe like this post if you want Android too, as a barometer?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I don't use iOS, so not useful to me. Or 75% of the rest of world according to the stats.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I don't use iOS, so not useful to me. Or 75% of the rest of world according to the stats.
I love that you spent the effort to type all that in just to contribute this inanity.

With that in mind, I would venture a guess that far more iPhone users travel and have a need for this app than Android users (going by raw numbers / percentages only) so your comment is hardly helpful.

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by callsignapollo

I sincerely hope we get to build an Android version for you! That would mean that the iOS app proved there is a viable market here.

Marketshare isn’t the right metric here. From a business point of view, there's really no contest:
1) iOS apps make 2x the revenue Source: https://cl.ly/428258
2) Android is ~3x more fragmented Source: https://cl.ly/9e0427

And as you mentioned that's on top of 3x the user base. So I'd have to reach 6x as many people on Android, after building for 3x as many OS versions, to match iOS. I know yall are sick of hearing that, but we really have no choice. (Sorry for the slow reply. I'm still limited to 5 posts per 24h on this new handle.)

Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Folks,

Now that we are aware that Flighty is a replacement for Flight Track Pro, for indexing and future search purposes, please let's continue discussing Flighty, its features and its business model in the Flighty thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
flightyryan likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: United
DIY

I have been hoping for a FlightTrack Pro replacement and after waiting literally YEARS ... no app has ever met my complete needs like the original. The original FlightTrack was just so good and I feel like it was built for "me". Don't get me wrong, there are some very very polished apps out there, but it just falls short for me.

So last weekend, I called a friend and DIY'ed my own flight tracking app to meet my specific needs. We finished it this weekend and now I have truly custom DIY solution. Going to add a few more features and call it a day!

- Free and no expensive subscription
- No annoying ads
- No bloaty/useless features I don't want
- Clean/simple UI
- Android (for my wife) and iOS (for me)
- Organize flights by trips
- 1-click away to all the flight details of my trip while travelling (no more hunting different screens)
- TripIt integration
- Offline flight path movement

I am flying to Boston next week and cannot wait to give this a spin to see how it works online/offline.

Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Looks cool. Mind sharing, even if it's just the .IPA? I'd love to give it a spin. Where do you pull data from?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Looks cool. Mind sharing, even if it's just the .IPA? I'd love to give it a spin. Where do you pull data from?
Sure, I will share the .IPA once I figure out how to create one. I don't have an Apple Developer account so didn't think I could create an .IPA without a paid account. This is only my first week trying to build an iOS/Android app so any help is appreciated. Would love to give you all a chance to use it.

The data is pulled from FlightAware (because it was free for developer license). Backend can easily switch to FlightStats or use both in priority order.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:35 am

I was quite disappointed that I couldn't use FlightTrack anymore, so I gave App in the Air a shot and so far it works great for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.