Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement for FlightTrack?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Replacement for FlightTrack?

For years I have been using the paid non-pro version of FlightTrack. Unfortunately it seems the application is abandoned or in some sort of trouble. It still works, but some time in December it stopped showing gate numbers.

Anyone in the same situation, what would you recommend?

I tried the FlightHero Pro but did not like it at all.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:43 am

I'm currently trialing out App in the Air -- so far, so good, but you really need to pony up in order to get the most from it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LEt's move this over to the Travel Tools section...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by edcaya
I'm currently trialing out App in the Air -- so far, so good, but you really need to pony up in order to get the most from it.
Hello edcaya! Thank you for using our app. I very appreciate it. We have lots of features that doesn't require to pay - e.g. airport tips from Frequent Flyers (like "where is the best place to eat" or "wifi password", etc.) or information about wait times at airport lines (checkin, security, passport) and much more.

I'd like to hear your feedback about the app. Feel free to write me directly at [email protected] or here with any questions/ideas.

Nikita, co-founder App in the Air
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: TudoAzul Diamante, Smiles Diamante, Latam Gold
Originally Posted by TObject
For years I have been using the paid non-pro version of FlightTrack. Unfortunately it seems the application is abandoned or in some sort of trouble. It still works, but some time in December it stopped showing gate numbers.

Anyone in the same situation, what would you recommend?

I tried the FlightHero Pro but did not like it at all.
I'm pretty satisfied with KAYAK Pro . Got it for free at Amazon Appstore on their Free Apps of the day last year..
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: CathayPacific, Lufthansa, AA, United
I like the app. It is really nice way of showing trips.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I stopped using the older FlightTrack (the one with TripIt integration) and moved to the newer FlightTrack 5 (with Expedia integration), which as been working fine for me.

I don't know how it compares to the alternatives, but if you haven't tried out the newer FlightTrack 5, it's worth a look.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by mikew99
I don't know how it compares to the alternatives, but if you haven't tried out the newer FlightTrack 5, it's worth a look.
The review from Jan 6, 2016 says the FlightTrack 5 does not show gate numbers.

Can you confirm that? Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

Does FlightStats.com do what you want? We know someone who picks up passengers at LAX daily.. He faithfully uses this ap. I discovered it is more accurate than flightaware.com.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The review from Jan 6, 2016 says the FlightTrack 5 does not show gate numbers.

Can you confirm that? Thank you.
I'm not sure what they mean by that, but my FlightTrack 5 does indeed show gate numbers. Here's a screen shot of what it shows for me:
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:34 am

Best alternatives to FlightTrack 5 on iOS?

I've used FlightTrack for many years, but was turned off when they got acquired by Expedia and dropped TripIt support in favor of the Expedia TripDeck integration which only tracks flights and doesn't have a web interface. It's just not as good as TripIt. But it look like FT5 may be the best app out there, that I've found anyway. I like that it provides actual maps where the flight has gone based on the planes reported position, vs. most apps that just draw a straight line between two cities. Does anyone know of any alternatives to FT5 that integrate with TripIt, and that preferably plot actual flight routes? I thought maybe FlightRadar, but looks like that doesn't integrate with TripIt... so what does everyone else use? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I use the CWT To Go app and it fullfills all my needs. Now trialing App in the air.
I would suggest not to desperately try to stick with a dying app as there are good options available and the switch is easy
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whitehusky
I like that it provides actual maps where the flight has gone based on the planes reported position, vs. most apps that just draw a straight line between two cities.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to actually do that. It does seem they load the expected route the aircraft is going to take but the position seems to be simply extrapolated based on time. A good way to see this is be on a flight that is supposed to have taken off awhile ago but didn't. I was on the ground for an hour or so while they tried to figure out some hydraulic issue and then returned to gate. FlightTrack showed us in the air. I wish. It ended up being a 7 hour delay.

It also isn't always very timely in updating on Android, so the information its displaying can be outdated. There is no way to force it to refresh Its a nice app, very pretty, but missing some very basic features that would make it more usable. Apple approach of simplicity vs. features that might be useful.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

A year later I still have not switched. Unfortunately FlightTrack finally kicked the bucket today.

So, any new up-to-date recommendations?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Same here... What's different is I was using FlightTrack Pro.... After they discontinued the upgrade from Pro 4 to 5 I've been consistently considering alternative...

I did consider FlightTrack 5 but failing to allow me to export my trip record (like 4) has stopped me from getting 5... I'm still looking for alternative... I've considered WorldMate but seems it's also discontinuing soon...

Actually I found that FlightTrack 4 is still functioning, just the flight data source for flights within 48 hours is dead.... Flight search for 48 hours+ is still functioning...

I'm seriously considering VariFlight, which is an app from China... I'm a bit worry that it will be overly China market focus....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.