Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Is it really inconsistent though? They've also recently updated Calendar (another UI change that I detest) and going further back, Maps (which I also dislike, but not as intensely ) So it does at least appear to be part of a larger scale unification of look and feel (albeit a crappy one, also, #getoffmylawn )
The changes to the appearance - more blue and more colour in general - might not be inconsistent, but the complete emphasis of form over function does seem inconsistent to me.

Also, a semi-frequent flyer colleague of mine just stopped by my desk to ask a question about flights and mentioned that he thought Google Flights - which he has only used sparingly in the past - looked "a lot worse" and was "much less user-friendly" lately.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Peak Google was about 5 years ago.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Does not work for me anymore.

Incognito. Browsers other than Chrome.

Edit: nevermind. It's back now. Not sure for how long.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Seem to be closing the "loopholes"

Thanks for that.

At first it was easy - the running man. Then emulate IE10. Then the link - "google.com/flights/?f=0".
Really, f%$@ Google flights. They had a good product and ruined it, and now seem to be systematically closing down any option to use the old, good interface.

I guess this is what you can do when you're a monopoly. A very stupid monopoly.

Originally Posted by Aeclio
Still possible to get the old interface. You can change SEL into any preferred airport code.

google.com/flights/?f=0#search;f=SEL
angra and Great_circle like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Unfortunately I had a friend at Google tell me that they're turning down the old version. I can't get the f=SEL trick to work anymore and I think it's safe to say all traces of the usable version of Google Flights will be gone soon.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Was using the older version about ten minutes ago. When I came back, it couldn't connect to the server and refresh sent me to the new Flights.

What a POS.
Vegas Vegan likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:40 am

Right now I can't get any tricks to bring back the old version -- all browsers, private modes, user agents all bow to the new evil master.
Time to explore other alternatives perhaps?
Any ideas are welcome.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Right now I can't get any tricks to bring back the old version -- all browsers, private modes, user agents all bow to the new evil master.
Time to explore other alternatives perhaps?
Any ideas are welcome.
Still working for me using https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
Still working for me using https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0
This gave me hope, so I thought of one last combo to try: Private Mode + Opera + VPN.
Bingo -- let it me stay on the old site when I hit a Turkish-assigned IP (no luck with any others). Still a very tenuous situation.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
?f=0 still works perfect for me (Safari on the Ipad Air and Mozilla Firefox on the desktop)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by rill2503456
Unfortunately I had a friend at Google tell me that they're turning down the old version. I can't get the f=SEL trick to work anymore and I think it's safe to say all traces of the usable version of Google Flights will be gone soon.
Off topic, could you friend explain at all what the reason is behind all this? (I suspect better support for online marketing and processing of big data etc)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by Great_circle

Off topic, could you friend explain at all what the reason is behind all this? (I suspect better support for online marketing and processing of big data etc)
My guess would be that it's supposed to be an easier UI for people who want to casually book flights (as opposed to the FT community). A lot of the old features of GF were kind of buried in menus. Good for us because we knew exactly where the menus were but probably bad for their usage metrics.
The main thing I hate is how laggy the UI is (although it's gotten better since the early days) and random bugs that pop up (my search got "stuck" and I had to refresh the page/start a new search once or twice).

Anyways, I'll ask and see if I can find the "real" answer.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:42 pm

Thumbs down

?f=0 still works perfect for me (Safari on the Ipad Air and Mozilla Firefox on the desktop)
Replied too soon, old version is gone now :-(
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:59 am

Replied too soon, old version is gone now :-(
what a shame! i LITERALLY just used this last night before i went to bed
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I hope people provide feedback to make them reconsider....I really dislike this new Google Flights and much prefer the faster, lightweight old version.
Great_circle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.