Reload this Page >

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:12 pm

Is how Google Flights calls fare data significant?

I know that Google Flights has been around for a while now, but its latest iteration is clearly geared towards a wider consumer base.

Anyways, I was playing around with the tool today, and I couldn't help but notice that the site spits tags into the URL as you enter search parameters:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...100,t1900-2400

For example, departing airports appear after f, return date after r, etc. Mp is maximum price and so on.

String ordering doesn't seem to matter.

I thought this was pretty interesting because, as far as I know, Google Flights is the only site that calls fare data like this.

The problem is I am not technologically smart enough to see whether this is significant. Are there any potential ways to build on this? For example, could I integrate a link with a feed aggregator to get alerts when a very specific flight goes below a certain price?

I wrote up a short post on this, including a fairly comprehensive syntax glossary. But not surprisingly this concluded with a rather anticlimactic "this is cool but I don't know why anyone would want to use this."

So I thought I'd post here to see if some of the more technologically savvy FT'ers can connect dots I can't even see.

Last edited by SansSerif; Mar 8, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Interesting observations. Gonna subscribe to follow this one...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Google Flights is adding all the time. AusBT / Australian Business Traveller has an article with some interesting observations and comments: http://www.ausbt.com.au/google-fligh...ot-more-useful

Google Flights now includes airline-specific and indeed aircraft-specific details such as average leg room, availability of laptop and USB sockets, inflight WiFi and even live TV (mainly on US flights) from the RouteHappy online service.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:59 am

How Do You Turn off Google Flight Search Sponsored Results?

Once upon a time, when you google "flights from abc to xyz" Google will churn you out a good list of all the flight times and schedule as well as connecting points for that specific route. Now when you do that, more often it not it gives you a 'sponsored' search into Google Flight Search which is infinitely inferior for many reasons. Is there a way to disable this, or is it another one of Google's chances to it's flight-related products?

Cheers
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:35 am

I know this thread is 4 months old already but as some might still be looking for a solution I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it:

Just search for "schedule abc xyz" instead of just "abc xyz".
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Hello everybody,

Do you know if it is possible with Google Flights Explore destination feature when you enter source, max price (and airline/alliance, if needed) - is there a way NOT to have specific days but rather display minimum price available for any time period?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Just go to the Google Flights site, enter departure city, select the beginning and end dates for the period that you are interested in traveling and set the maximum price using the slide (after clicking on the price tab).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by TWA884
Just go to the Google Flights site, enter departure city, select the beginning and end dates for the period that you are interested in traveling and set the maximum price using the slide (after clicking on the price tab).
I do not have the specific period, that's the problem. What I want is to find out what would be the cheapest price between for example XXX and YYY for no more than $NNN with the trip duration of M or MM days.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
kayak.com/explore, but it'll only work for Y flights
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
kayak.com/explore, but it'll only work for Y flights
Same with skyscanner.com and the fares are usually higher than the ones you'll find on kayak.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Google Flights - Map Search Changes

Google Flights seems to be screwing with me... The cheapest price I can find anywhere is Austin-Dallas for $199 one-way. When I click through to a website to book it, it does not reprice to the true cost - as it can be found by searching directly on that website's page.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is Google Flights messing with me for all of my ~hourly searches?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Example Wednesday-Wednesday explorer map

Last edited by FlyerJT; Sep 24, 2015 at 9:31 am Reason: fix link
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Been happening to me too. Can get a couple through UA, but only about 25% of the time.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Please continue to follow this discussion in its new home, the Travel Tools forum.

-18sas
Moderator, Mileage Run forum
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:47 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
It's mostly due to cached inventory. Various buckets are opened and closed to the distribution system.

The airports being searched might have had a change in frequency of searches. Usually if it changes more often it will not cache, but if does not change prices often or dramatically your city will get old inventory. Thus will not synchronize with the GDS often.

Not a big deal since before Google flights existed, ITA required you to book it off-site anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.