FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1707354-google-flights-changes-updates-glitches-help-consolidated-thread.html)

notallwhowander Aug 11, 2012 8:20 am

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Google gives one dollar amount for flight, but when you go to actually make the reservation, the dollar amount is not the same, and at times, not even close. Is this normal?

Found a $90 one way, but when I went to purchase it, USAir site said it was now $130 something.

:confused:

Turnboss Aug 11, 2012 9:17 am

Google Flights vs Actual Airline?

maybe its not including taxes.... IMO

notallwhowander Aug 14, 2012 4:07 pm

It happened a few times, but apparently nothing more since. Maybe I was on my laptop too long. :eek:

oliver2002 Aug 21, 2012 1:39 am

The data is probably cached, so not exactly the live GDS result.

saranyc Sep 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Hi! I'm sure many of you have used google flights before. I have a couple of question on it. You can leave the destination field blank and see the cost to fly to anywhere in the world on the map based on my criteria (dates of travel, number of stops, etc).

Is there any way (either with google or another site) to have that same ability (see prices throughout the world based on your home airport) but have it also be for flexible dates? So for example if I want to take a vacation next spring for 5-6 days but I'm not sure where and can travel any time between 4/1/13 and 6/1/13 is there a way to see a map of all the places I could go based on the cheapest flight with a max of 1 stop?

Thanks!!! :):):)

rgnewton Sep 14, 2012 11:55 am

Yes you can!

Just go to http://www.google.com/flights/ and it will provide exactly what you are describing. Good luck!

KM123 Sep 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I actually had not seen google flights before. Thanks for the post, this could be handy.

Eithan Sep 18, 2012 4:18 am

i have never seen before too .

holmedown Sep 19, 2012 2:36 pm

tried it when I came across it yesterday - really useful

jdtravel Sep 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks. I just used it for the first time

rbcgerard Nov 6, 2012 1:19 pm

Google.com/flights as a flyertalk/farecomare substitute

So I recently tried the www.google.com/flights tool and really like how i could leave the destination blank, pick dates, and even the alliance - which i really like for doing cheap weekend vacations.

But the tool reminded me a lot of the old farecompare.com flyertalk feature for mileage runs, where you could get a table of the cheapest flights ($/Mi) from your selected airport (and airline).

I imagine given what they already have, to implement this would be pretty simple (I know nothing about web development, but the info is there).

So I submitted a suggestion to google to implement this feature - maybe if others do too, we might get that fun little mileage run tool back?

Apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum/this has been covered before...

sunshine-state Nov 6, 2012 4:10 pm

This could be a pretty helpful tool if it's reliable. I've had a lot of trouble with new/test Google products in a critical corporate/production environment, but for I certainly welcome another tool in the toolbox! I wonder if Google will integrate ITA with this tool....

Oapos Nov 7, 2012 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sunshine-state (Post 19637125)
This could be a pretty helpful tool if it's reliable. I've had a lot of trouble with new/test Google products in a critical corporate/production environment, but for I certainly welcome another tool in the toolbox! I wonder if Google will integrate ITA with this tool....

100% agree! Another tool for the toolbox. While I definitely don't think it's as well deployed as ITA is it without a doubt has some great potential.

autumnmist Dec 5, 2012 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by rbcgerard (Post 19635911)
So I recently tried the www.google.com/flights tool and really like how i could leave the destination blank, pick dates, and even the alliance - which i really like for doing cheap weekend vacations.

Late to this thread, but I don't see how to leave the destination blank in Google flights... it won't give me results until I put a destination in?

Tigersan Dec 5, 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by autumnmist (Post 19803625)
Late to this thread, but I don't see how to leave the destination blank in Google flights... it won't give me results until I put a destination in?

Welcome to FT.

I think that's what the OP has suggested to Google.

Thanks for sharing, OP.