FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1707354-google-flights-changes-updates-glitches-help-consolidated-thread.html)

antignos Feb 18, 14 10:31 pm

Just found this

https://www.google.com/flights/explo...5;d=2014-02-18

docmoney Feb 19, 14 10:24 am


Originally Posted by antignos (Post 22375002)

Excellent find! There are also some patterns of note - Sundays and Mondays tend to be the most expensive days to travel, with Wednesday and Thursday being the cheapest...

teese35 Feb 19, 14 10:28 am


Originally Posted by antignos (Post 22375002)

This is an awesome tool. Great for searching for MR's to all cities ^

docmoney Feb 19, 14 10:41 am

And when you put your mouse cursor over the bars, it shows the airline, so I can pick prices with a loyalty program in mind! Niiice:)

Roadrunna Feb 19, 14 11:10 am


Originally Posted by antignos (Post 22375002)

Great find, I was looking for any random cheap trip from ORD, this really simplifies the search. ^^

plon Feb 25, 14 1:47 pm

Google Flights Map Tool
 
I tried searching before I posted but couldn't find a post on this, but I've found using the map tool on flights.google.com very useful.

-Put in any city pair and date into your search boxes
-Click on the map pin in the right hand corner
-You see all the pricing for all the flights from your origination city for the dates you're searching anywhere in the world.

It's a nice way to try and find MR in a more visual manner than just plugging in random info into ITA. Of course ITA powers the flights.google.com search....

Anyone else using this?

Madone59 Feb 25, 14 2:55 pm

Been using it for months, typically in conjunction with ITA. It is a good place to start for an MR, or go find some 'clues.'

Definitely not a replacement for the old fare compare page but good.

mapu Feb 27, 14 1:47 am

great tool, thanks for posting that

antignos Mar 8, 14 1:07 pm

It's been around for a long time. Posts all over the net, blogs and FT regarding it. Actually removed the bars feature for a little while a few weeks ago, but appears to be back. Same as ITA

Try this also

https://www.google.com/flights/explo...5;d=2014-02-18

rstlsgirl Mar 10, 14 3:26 pm

I just found it this weekend and I'm hopelessly addicted. Late to the party, I guess.

carlost Jan 3, 15 7:09 am

Google Flights = Nonexistent Fares?
 
I keep coming up with fares on google flights that don't seem to exist. More specifically, I'm getting good fares that are most a combination of Lufthansa and Air Canada flights. Most only allow click through to Lufthansa or a third party booking agency. If I click through to Lufthansa, the fares never exist and the flight numbers do not exist. If I click through to the booking agency, I either get an error message or a screen saying that the flight is sold out, which is very unlikely. If I go the Air Canada website, they won't let me book the fare since part is a Lufthansa flight.

Google flights also gives me the option of calling Air Canada. This means staying on hold for 45 minutes to see if it is possible and even then paying the extra fee to book over the phone.

Questions:

1. Is this a common problem?
2. Does calling Air Canada to book fare not on their website work?

fuyao Jan 4, 15 2:45 pm

Why not try to book it on any of the big OTAs? Orbitz, expedia,... or meta search engines: hipmunk, kayak,...?

Server Jan 4, 15 7:44 pm


Originally Posted by carlost (Post 24093229)
I keep coming up with fares on google flights that don't seem to exist. More specifically, I'm getting good fares that are most a combination of Lufthansa and Air Canada flights. Most only allow click through to Lufthansa or a third party booking agency. If I click through to Lufthansa, the fares never exist and the flight numbers do not exist. If I click through to the booking agency, I either get an error message or a screen saying that the flight is sold out, which is very unlikely. If I go the Air Canada website, they won't let me book the fare since part is a Lufthansa flight.

Google flights also gives me the option of calling Air Canada. This means staying on hold for 45 minutes to see if it is possible and even then paying the extra fee to book over the phone.

Questions:

1. Is this a common problem?
2. Does calling Air Canada to book fare not on their website work?

Sometimes the engine caches search results. It clears out after 10 minutes or so often. It saves on request spam and other costs involved. However, sometime the fare might exist and you will need to dig around and manually enter the information on other OTAs.

carlost Jan 6, 15 5:04 am


Originally Posted by fuyao (Post 24100419)
Why not try to book it on any of the big OTAs? Orbitz, expedia,... or meta search engines: hipmunk, kayak,...?

Obviously. That was the first thing I tried. None shows the same fare or even the same itinerary. The itinerary is still there on google flights but still unbookable.

fuyao Jan 7, 15 9:40 am


Originally Posted by carlost (Post 24110436)
Obviously. That was the first thing I tried. None shows the same fare or even the same itinerary. The itinerary is still there on google flights but still unbookable.

Its also possible g flights is showing wrong availability.
Check expertflyer or ask someone with GDS access to check for availability


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.