Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:56 pm

Fare tracking? Google flights etc

According to Google, there should be a Fare Tracking option in Google Flights. I just can't find it. Was it removed or is there another website I can use (paid or free) to track flight prices? I do use ITA Matrix but I see no reporting feature.

My husband told me to stop looking at business class flights East Coast, USA to Asia for a trip 10 months away. But I tricked him. I upgraded us to Polaris on our LIS-IAD flight in June, so he'll say "Yes we really do need to travel in business class."
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zitsky
According to Google, there should be a Fare Tracking option in Google Flights. I just can't find it. Was it removed or is there another website I can use (paid or free) to track flight prices? I do use ITA Matrix but I see no reporting feature.
Once you do a search, somewhere on the results page, look for a slider like this:

slide the slider to start tracking fares for that search. You can track overall prices for one-ways and round trips, and also the price for specific flights once you've chosen an itinerary. I vaguely recall you can't track prices for a multi-city search, I think? And on mobile the slider might be in the middle of the page or at the bottom.

You can view current prices (with historical graphs) of all your tracked flights at https://www.google.com/travel/flights/saves (or from flights dot google dot com click the hamburger menu and then Tracked Flight Prices). You'll also get periodic emails when prices move up or down, but these aren't instantaneous.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:59 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Just got a GF notification email "Your tracked flight from AAA to BBB: 12% fare increase likely in 22h", is this x increase in y time a new feature? If only it includes z confidence level.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Just got a GF notification email "Your tracked flight from AAA to BBB: 12% fare increase likely in 22h", is this x increase in y time a new feature? If only it includes z confidence level.
the oldest one I can find in my emails is from October, but I periodically delete GF alert emails. My vague recollection is that it's been a feature much longer than that, but don't quote me on it...
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... If only it includes z confidence level.
If Google sends n thousands of email telling people to buy now, I'd say z is pretty close to 1...

They don't even need to analyze the underlying stats, they just need to trigger enough purchases to empty the current fare bucket.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by intuition
If Google sends n thousands of email telling people to buy now, I'd say z is pretty close to 1...

They don't even need to analyze the underlying stats, they just need to trigger enough purchases to empty the current fare bucket.
The saved examples I have are all for specific flights, so probably not thousands of people tracking an individual itinerary but sure, there could be some self-fulfilling effect.

If I had to guess though, the emails are triggered when the "must book by" date of cheaper fare rules is about to expire.
SPN Lifer, intuition and csycsycsy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:22 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by Zorak
The saved examples I have are all for specific flights, so probably not thousands of people tracking an individual itinerary but sure, there could be some self-fulfilling effect.

If I had to guess though, the emails are triggered when the "must book by" date of cheaper fare rules is about to expire.
Ahha! So GF looks into the fare rules and maybe the buckets? If GF bought EF....
The price did go up, by 15% vs the predicted 12% hah.
intuition likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:55 am

Ahha! So GF looks into the fare rules and maybe the buckets?
To be clear, that's pure speculation on my part, I have no knowledge as to the actual inner workings of GF...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.