Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Same happens with me. Have you filed a bug report with Google? I just submitted on from my account.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I didn't consider it to be a bug, but I like that idea. Will do.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
I suspect that user friendliness has taken a backseat to monetization but I'm not sure what's better.
I'm becoming more and more suspicious of the Google Flight results.

It used to be they consistently returned the actual lowest fares available. I very rarely could find a fare cheaper directly on the airlines own website, and began to trust that google would find the cheapest fares at least for standard return trips.

I'm watching business class fares from the east coast to Asia, and I find that very often the google results may be "OK" but searching the carrier sites directly is resulting in many MANY lower fares that google flights is simply missing.
No tricks or codes or anything like that, and it's not a buck or two either, we're talking $500+ or ~10-15% difference. It's almost as if google isn't really searching "live" anymore.

Such a shame it's turned to garbage since the last forced update.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by 97gst
I find that very often the google results may be "OK" but searching the carrier sites directly is resulting in many MANY lower fares that google flights is simply missing.
Indeed, some long-lasting low fares on certain airlines aren’t shown on GF anymore in certain periods while the airlines in question still have that fare available in the very same period. Nowadays I tend to take some results with a grain of salt..

Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by BThumme
Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but GF likes to error out on me when doing perfectly valid multi city searches. Results show for a split second, and if you don't click them in that split second, it will error out. Being able to click a result though makes it magically work.

Just another disappointment.
Has anyone been able to find a fix/ workaround for this issue? It's very frustrating when trying to book "segment runs".
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Has anyone figured out how to specifically exclude an airline with the new GF?
I'm looking for a flight on JL metal, but when selecting "JAL Only", AA-operated codeshares show up too. It's making searching slightly difficult sorting through those options. Since I have to book Y, I don't want to subject myself to the AA 787 9-across torture tube.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by sturges
Has anyone figured out how to specifically exclude an airline with the new GF?
I'm looking for a flight on JL metal, but when selecting "JAL Only", AA-operated codeshares show up too. It's making searching slightly difficult sorting through those options. Since I have to book Y, I don't want to subject myself to the AA 787 9-across torture tube.
I’m on mobile so this is the best I could do now,

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Amend the url to a:-AA. I have to figure out how to combine it with just JL. The old method of amending the url no longer works.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles

I’m on mobile so this is the best I could do now,

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Amend the url to a:-AA. I have to figure out how to combine it with just JL. The old method of amending the url no longer works.
You might also need a:-AA,-JL*-AA or some variation thereof involving the combination of AA/JL -- when clicking the various include/exclude options, the URL changes to that for some reason.

Has anyone figured out how to do airline alliance plus/minus partner airline (e.g. *A+AS or OW-EI)? I can avoid most of the mainline Chinese airlines by dropping connections listed in PVG/PEK, but it'd be a lot easier if I can also drop OZ without removing ICN connection options on SQ for instance.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:45 am

While doing searches for the JFK-BUE deal on GF, I ran into a scenario I've run into before that's maddening. I clicked on an outbound date in the calendar that shows $756 and then chose a return with the same price. I saw $756 next to the DONE button in the lower right corner of the calendar window, confirming I'd chosen a good date pair. After I clicked on DONE, it started showing possible flights in descending price order as usual, starting with $756. Cool. Before I could even click on one of the $756 flights, it changed to a significantly higher price. Or, a couple of times I got lucky enough to snag a $756 outbound, but the return was well over $2K (even though I chose a date paring of $756). It happened over and over. This scenario doesn't happen often, but when it does it drives me nuts. Is it just that so many people are going after a deal that GF can't keep up, or what gives?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Not really GF specific as it relates more to Google Search. Has anyone noticed the knowledge graph on Google.com when searching for XXX to YYY (XXX/YYY being airport codes) is no longer showing all departures between two city pairs, but instead showing truncated Google Flights search box with only one line per airline?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Actually there is a reason, and GF now discloses it in every search result -- they are being compensated by travel providers.
If travelers were GF's paying customers, they would be doing what's good for the travelers.
Well, Google wants to limit the ways pax can find a better deal and hope they just click on whatever they are being served? Fair enough, it's a business after all.

But why they cannot do it in an efficient way?... Mobile version takes forever to load, all the colours and pictures take a third of the screen, everything moves while your're selecting your flights so often you're clicking on something you did not intend... and God forbid you accidently click on "show longer or more expensive flights" without applying any filters... You may as well close your browser and start over, it will be quicker. Not sure how any of this benefits anyone?

I've stopped using GF some time ago, and after checking it back again recently the good news is that after all the "enhancements" that devasted this tool, it now seems that it has been left alone. Who knows, perhaps Google's "continious improvement team" moved onto another victim.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Is there a way to search for a return fare with different cabins in each direction. For example J in one direction and PE in the other? Thanks... Jon
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MarJon
Is there a way to search for a return fare with different cabins in each direction. For example J in one direction and PE in the other? Thanks... Jon
Try Kayak for this one.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:41 pm

Looks like GF rolled out another update in the last couple of days. There is now a lot less blue and it runs somewhat faster, probably because there are much fewer animations to load.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

Is it just me?
In the past day or two, GF doesn't display the current price of tracked flights on the "Tracked Flights" page. It has the previous price for every flight stricken out, but not displaying the current price.
It seems to be a bug unless it's something wrong on my end.
Tried different browser and all had the same problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.