ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stan1980
Hi Guys,

A newbie question here:
Is ITA able to find ALL available rates?

I've been comparing ITA rates on a specific flight, with the available rates of the airline's own website.
ITA returns a rate which is more than double the price of the airline.

Yep, I double checked dates and flight numbers etc etc...! ;-)

Thanx for the reply!
No, only public fares. The airline may offer fares which aren't published in the public tariff. If so, ITA doesn't know about them.

Also, the airline website may offer a different point of sale to ITA. So ITA assumes you will buy your ticket from a sales office in the city of origin, unless you tell it otherwise. But fares and availability can differ in different sales cities.

CX often has sales on its website that are not published.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Is anyone else unable to click on anything after the run a search?

My search comes up but all of the features excluding "details" don't function. 1,2,3 stops, times, airline....nothing works . I am on chrome.

Update: Works fine in explorer

Anyone else?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:13 pm

So... Can anyone please explain me this...?

When im doing an open jaw search with several options of departure/end-of-journey airports:
Business class:
20JUN15 AMS, DUS, FRA, BRU, CDG, BRU --> SIN
10JUL15 HKG --> AMS, DUS, FRA, BRU, CDG, BRU

It returns with a Eur 1770 KLM/AF flight, which is not bookable with advanced (AMS::KL...)on hipmunk. :-(
When I narrow the search down to just AMS>SIN & HKG>AMS, it returns with Emirates for Eur 2000,- bookable on Hipmunk.

Every time im selecting multiple departure/end-of-journey airports, it comes up with unrealistic and unbookable (usually KLM/AF rates)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx for your help! :-)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stan1980
So... Can anyone please explain me this...?

When im doing an open jaw search with several options of departure/end-of-journey airports:
Business class:
20JUN15 AMS, DUS, FRA, BRU, CDG, BRU --> SIN
10JUL15 HKG --> AMS, DUS, FRA, BRU, CDG, BRU

It returns with a Eur 1770 KLM/AF flight, which is not bookable with advanced (AMS::KL...)on hipmunk. :-(
When I narrow the search down to just AMS>SIN & HKG>AMS, it returns with Emirates for Eur 2000,- bookable on Hipmunk.

Every time im selecting multiple departure/end-of-journey airports, it comes up with unrealistic and unbookable (usually KLM/AF rates)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanx for your help! :-)
Just because Hipmunk couldn't price it doesn't make it unbookable. Try booking by telephone to the airline direct.

That said, reproducing your search, I don't see AF/KL on the list. EK is there at about 2k. Perhaps it was a bug or misfiling by KL/AF.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:05 am

Thanx Calchas for helping me out!

Yes, I could use the Fare Construction to ask the airline if they could reproduce the fare...

But... If you don't want to wake up the airline... How to reconstruct a fare with an OTA if you come across a tricked fare with fuel dumped segments etc...? ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Madone59

My search comes up but all of the features excluding "details" don't function. 1,2,3 stops, times, airline....nothing works . I am on chrome.

Anyone else?
Same here. I've reverted to IE when I need the advanced search functions in ITA, or Google Flights works fine in Chrome for simple searches (with the bonus of the clickthrough booking links).
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59

Anyone else?
Yup! It's sporadic, but hugely aggravating when it happens in Firefox (I refuse to use IE).

You'd almost think Microsoft is running Google with the state of ITA of late. Terrible update.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
"Unknown Internal Error."

You're killing me!!!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
I suggest everyone complaining about the way Google runs Matrix immediately cancel their paid subscription and take their business elsewhere!

END SARCASM
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by JanoSicek
I suggest everyone complaining about the way Google runs Matrix immediately cancel their paid subscription and take their business elsewhere!

END SARCASM
Nothing wrong with constructive criticism. The fact that it's free is irrelevant. What's important is the fact that ITA Matrix 3.0 has apparently suffered from poor development and a lack of follow through from Google on resolving key issues impacting its core functionality.

Let's face it, the v3.0 roll out of ITA Matrix has been plagued with issues and its functionality continues to be mediocre, at best.

If they wanted us to use Google Flights, then shut off ITA and be done with it. Don't give us a hobbled version of what used to be an exceptional tool. It behaves like beta software, not a v3.0.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
Nothing wrong with constructive criticism. The fact that it's free is irrelevant. What's important is the fact that ITA Matrix 3.0 has apparently suffered from poor development and a lack of follow through from Google on resolving key issues impacting its core functionality.

Let's face it, the v3.0 roll out of ITA Matrix has been plagued with issues and its functionality continues to be mediocre, at best.

If they wanted us to use Google Flights, then shut off ITA and be done with it. Don't give us a hobbled version of what used to be an exceptional tool. It behaves like beta software, not a v3.0.
^

I would be very happy to pay for a functional version. Almost half the itineraries I build require me to use ITA.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Calchas
^

I would be very happy to pay for a functional version. Almost half the itineraries I build require me to use ITA.
+1
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:41 pm

I thought I would check here and see if others have been experiencing the same glitches and gotchas in THE MATRIX that I have of late. Seems to have really gone downhill. Aside from the outright errors, it has become VERY SLOW in processing queries. Well, Google always did treat many of their public-facing products as Betas for a long time.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards
[ITA Matrix] Need a travel agent, for ONCE!

I recently discovered Matrix Airfare Search and found myself a good deal for a multi-city trip that I intend to take. This is the first time I've tried it, and the website advises me to bring the resulting itinerary to a travel agent to be issued a ticket at a matched price.

Has anyone does this successfully? I haven't been to a travel agent in years, and the ones I see in my town are usually promoting all-in packages to some exotic land. Do they do basic things like issuing air-tickets? Are they going to look at the itinerary that Matrix Airfare Search offered to me and tell me to take a hike? If they do accept this, how are they earning any money? Will they expect me to pay them some sort of commission (which I don't mind, assuming it's nominal)?

Does anyone have an alternative to Matrix Airfare to use for searching multi-city trips? Checking on individual websites have left me with absurd prices, approximately 3-4 times what this Matrix Airfare offered.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try Online Travel Agents like Cheapoair, Orbitz, Cheaptickets, Kayak, etc. (OTAs)

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.