Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does Best Buy stock those B&W PX headphones?

Have to try them out for fit first.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by wco81
Does Best Buy stock those B&W PX headphones?

Have to try them out for fit first.
They should. I saw an ad for the B&W PX at Best Buy.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
They should. I saw an ad for the B&W PX at Best Buy.
Don’t forget that B&W recently announced the PX5 and PX7 headphones and that the original PX model should be reduced in price.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Seems to be a competitive category, these premium priced wireless headphones.

On HBO's Succession finale, I saw a character wearing these:

Amazon Amazon

Knew of the brand but didn't know they had a product in this space.

Seems way too bulky though to carry around. But maybe the cans cover your whole ear, doesn't pinch the lobes. But it might still be uncomfortable to have your whole ears covered up for hours.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:24 pm
Suspended

I got AirPod Pros and used them on flights to/from New Zealand.

They only have 4 hour battery life so for the long flight, I used some no-name wireless in-ear headphones the rest of the way to block out most of the cabin noise.

They worked fine.

I've avoided the Bose because I don't want to carry something that big on trips and you can't sleep on your sides with them. Also not as good for daily use as small in-ear pods.

I was bummed to find out that the cans supplied by NZ for business class for their IFE systems are not noise canceling.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I've avoided the Bose because I don't want to carry something that big on trips and you can't sleep on your sides with them. Also not as good for daily use as small in-ear pods.
Take a look at Bose QC20s.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:14 am

The Airpods Pro are very similar to the Bose QC20s in a few minutes of testing on my flight. JAL over-ear Bose reduce noise when put over the QC20s, by mechanical isolation rather than additional ANC.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by richarddd
Take a look at Bose QC20s.
I put the QC cans at best ANC, Qc20 at 2nd best.. airpods pro is a close 2nd to the Qc20, but I found the APP better than the Sony's in ear models.. it's a slightly different frequency, but I found the APP better than the sony's by maybe 5-7%..not specifically technically measured.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Yeah the APP worked okay for me on my flights to and from NZ last month.

Obviously the battery life doesn't work for the entirety intercontinental flights.

But that's one thing, it's so compact to pack that I also had another pair of cheaper in-ear ear buds as well as a regular BT earbuds which I alternated while I recharged the APP.

And the battery life from the case is great. I can go up to 2 weeks without having to charge the case.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Senator, Skywards, BA Executive Club Gold
For those with hearing aids.....

I have been using NC headphones since 2006. Using Sony (in ear) Sennheiser, Bose Q15, Phillips (in ear) Bose (in ear) and cheap Amazon ones. All worked except the Sennheiser ones which were on the ear rather than over the ear and useless. But since 2016 I have been wearing behind the ear hearing aids all the time, and this is never thought about by reviews. This immediately makes the only option to be over the ear, or rely only on the hearing aids themselves (which aren't bad actually).

So I then invested in a tailor made Bluetooth adapter for about £55 which turned the Bose Quiet 15 ( circa 2010 vintage) into wireless Bluetooth headphones with microphone added as well. It replaces the plug Inn cable on the Q15 very neatly. Result is fantastic for me. Perfect noise cancelling and a super sensitive microphone so I use the setup for Bluetooth conference calls on my pC as well as for flying. Have to revert to the cable though if I want to connect to in flight entertainment.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
If you ever wanted to pickup and try these in ear Sony’s, this is a pretty damb good deal for refurb. Get a square trader warranty too

(I have no dog in this fight)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-WF-100...3fdb418ba3%3Ag
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I just got these in the mail from Australia, made in Malaysia. They are great. I have paired them with an iphone X, Pixel 3 XL, and a MSI gaming laptop. Flawless. And really noise cancelling.

https://www.nuheara.com/usa/products/iqbuds-max/
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:45 pm

The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95

The newest contender (and most expensive so far?)... The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/head...play-h95-black
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: *G
Enjoying the B&W PX7, as an upgrade over Sony XM3.

Multi-device connectivity works great.
Physical controls is a big welcome over the touch controls of Sony.
NC not as good, but really who's traveling these days?
It doesn't look quite as slick The arms sort of juts out, whereas the Sony really seems to follow the contour of ones head.
Physical build and feel is superior.
Sound has a darker signature - not to everyones taste.

Haven't tested the microphone quality, but it just seems ridiculous noones really put it all together in 1 headphone before
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Big Mac
The newest contender (and most expensive so far?)... The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/head...play-h95-black
For 800€ ? For that they'd need to beat the Sony 1000XM3's noise cancellation by miles, the SQ should run circles around the Sennheiser HD650, etc, etc - and still I wouldn't be a buyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.