Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by deniah
Enjoying the B&W PX7, as an upgrade over Sony XM3.

Multi-device connectivity works great.
Physical controls is a big welcome over the touch controls of Sony.
NC not as good, but really who's traveling these days?
The new NC mark might be how well it does cancelling out fellow household members zoom meetings.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:46 pm

Sony XM series is the gold standard for NC headphones.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
I have the QC35-ii and just picked up the new XM4 for $210(*), the XM4 def have a little better NC but they make my ears hurt/sore. Anybody else experience this? Seems like its a combination of it being snugger, less padding and maybe where the ear cups sit.

* https://slickdeals.net/f/14358977-so...eSearchV2Algo1
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sony WH1000xM4 v. Bose 700 - which one offers the best noise cancellation? Working from home and the gardening noises etc are driving me nuts. I need something that kills noise without requiring me to listen to music, etc.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Sony WH1000xM4 v. Bose 700 - which one offers the best noise cancellation? Working from home and the gardening noises etc are driving me nuts. I need something that kills noise without requiring me to listen to music, etc.
m4 should have better noise cancellation, but if music isn’t wanted then maybe a safety ear muff could suit your purpose better?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: *G
Active noise cancellation works by playing an inverse wave to the recorded noise in order to cancel it out. For many people that will result in a sensation of pressure-induced discomfort, if music is not played atop it. Myself included. FYI.
Just playing very light background music - classical, jazz, whatever your flavor is - will alleviate it.
678flyer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Dave510
m4 should have better noise cancellation, but if music isn’t wanted then maybe a safety ear muff could suit your purpose better?
I think this is good advice. I have trouble concentrating with any noise in the background - soft music or otherwise - so this may be the best solution. Though would be nice to have a headset that could be used for calls as well.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Enjoying the B&W PX7, as an upgrade over Sony XM3.

Multi-device connectivity works great.
Physical controls is a big welcome over the touch controls of Sony.
NC not as good, but really who's traveling these days?
It doesn't look quite as slick The arms sort of juts out, whereas the Sony really seems to follow the contour of ones head.
Physical build and feel is superior.
Sound has a darker signature - not to everyones taste.

Haven't tested the microphone quality, but it just seems ridiculous noones really put it all together in 1 headphone before
B&W is selling the PX7 for $50 off on BF and the PX5 for $100 off.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/promot..._subscribe=sub

They have a sale on some home theater speakers as well.

Still pricey. Can't imagine buying without trying them on.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Still pricey. Can't imagine buying without trying them on.
Yes, that's a good practice. Although it takes quite a longg time to fully experience what they're like.

After 30 minutes to 1 hour of wear on the Sony, I can feel it get a bit stuffy and sweaty due to the really soft pads and tight sealing. But the fit itself is comfortable, with very light pressure.
After 30 minutes to 1 hour of wear on the B&W, I feel a bit more pressure from the stronger clamping. But the pads themselves feel more breathable.

Another thing about the touch controls is that when the Sonys are around my neck, even a light brush from my chin triggers them to start playing music again. That's very annoying.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:36 am
Suspended

Anybody here ever done a comparison of PNC (passive noise cancellation) headphones vs. ANC ones for traveller usage?

I am more in the hi-fi camp personally. For the new generation: hi-fi is about the faithful reproduction of a source signal. ANC headphones certainly do not do that as they are introduce noise and distortion by design whenever ANC is active. For instance Sennheiser HD25 are cheap headphones which reduce ambient sounds by means of closed construction and tight fit.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
Anybody here ever done a comparison of PNC (passive noise cancellation) headphones vs. ANC ones for traveller usage?

I am more in the hi-fi camp personally. For the new generation: hi-fi is about the faithful reproduction of a source signal. ANC headphones certainly do not do that as they are introduce noise and distortion by design whenever ANC is active. For instance Sennheiser HD25 are cheap headphones which reduce ambient sounds by means of closed construction and tight fit.
Both for sound-reducing effectiveness, and for absolute sound quality, nothing ive tried beat a pair of Etymotics.

However, the convenience of multi-device-pairing cordless connectivity trumps nth percentile audio reproduction fidelity. In the physical and mental of space of moving around an airport, sitting on a plane (eating, watching a movie), being able to hear the timbre of a hi-hat isn't really the thing im after. Plugging into and out of devices, microphonics rubbing against a jacket or seatbelt, being restricted where I can store my phone/music player, etc, is more of a nuisance
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Etymotic ER3SE or ER4SE or Klipsch x12i - they are incredible audiophile, single BA earphones, that provide way better noise isolation, than any of the ANC cans I have or tried (Bose QC 25, Sony 1000XM2, or B&W PX7) The SQ is stellar.

For sound quality (SQ) of the ANC models my ranking

B&W
**gap**
Sony
** gap **
Bose

but I heard very very good things about the Shure Aonic 50 and the Dali io6 as well.

For ANC effectiveness I rank Sony the first, with Bose second and B&W a close 3rd.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:18 am
Suspended

Both for sound-reducing effectiveness, and for absolute sound quality, nothing ive tried beat a pair of Etymotics.
That's true, IEMs are probably the gold standard. Didn't think of that, as I don't find IEMs very comfortable to wear. Never had a premium, custom-molded pair, though, which is probably what you want for maximum comfort as well as maximum ambient noise reduction.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have not had the Sony X4 to try, but the Bose 700 compared to the Sony X3, I would say DEF go with the Bose. A new Bose X750 0r X800 is supposed to come probably Feb 21.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Active noise cancellation works by playing an inverse wave to the recorded noise in order to cancel it out. For many people that will result in a sensation of pressure-induced discomfort, if music is not played atop it. Myself included. Just playing very light background music - classical, jazz, whatever your flavor is - will alleviate it.
I fix this issue by playing some white or pink noise in the background. I use this free app: White Noise

PS -- My vote is for ANY of the following for ANC: Bose 700/QC35 II, Sony XM3/4. For music, I can't tear myself away from the MW65s, but the ANC isn't as good. The Bose products, by far, are the most comfortable, but all ANC headphones make my ears itch. And I dislike the capacitive controls of the 700 and XM3/4

PS (part II) -- I suspect you can get a decent pair of used QC35 I's for $100 or less. The QC35 series I would meet your needs at a minimal cost.

PS (part III) -- Didn't like the PX7s and sold'em. And the ANC is *definitely* not as good as Bose/Sony.

PS (part IV) -- If you are thinking of using these for video conferencing, the microphones on the Bose products perform much better than the competition.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Dec 3, 2020 at 11:59 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.