Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: ANZ, Qantas
Today I discovered an interesting real-world detail while flying with my QC35's.
By and large they're amazing and I love them, today I found their limitations.

I was flying on a Bitten-Norman Islander, which (for those less familiar) is a twin piston engine STOL 9 seater. Most run two-blade props, this one did.
Turns out on take off and under certain load conditions, the noise cancelling on the QC35's really can't cope, and throws more pulsing noise into your ears than it cancels.
I'm guessing it is due to the low frequency pulses coming off the propellors. I should note that I was sitting just behind and beside the props, I don't know if there would be a different outcome if I was in the rear of the cabin.

Anyway, for those of you who, like me, fly to very small airports on very small planes, I'd be interested to know if you've had similar experience.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
By the way, if anyone was turned off by their high price ($399) Bowers & Wilkins currently has their PX headphones on sale in the US for only $299. I love mine and have been extremely happy with the choice. They are a quality oriented company and it shows in the materials used in the PX model!

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/headphones/px

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:54 am

The last time I flew I used my new beats studio 3 headphones and it was amazing. I couldn't hear absolutely any random noises, the kid was crying close to me and I didn't even hear that, so I'm really glad with my purchase.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: SAS -TG
I think the best is Sony wh-1000xm3 on ear, in ear is Sony wf-1000xm3, check them out on youtube, i have also Bose 35, but Sony a lot better, i think... just got the Sony in ear noise cancelling, and you just need a bluetooth adapter then you can see in flight movies wireless

Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Big Mac
I have the Sony WH-1000XM3 currently but thought the ANC on airplanes wasn't as good as the Bose QC35's.
So I stumbled upon these 2 noise isolation/attenuation graphs (I also saw a review on Youtube mentioning something similar as well).

It is my understanding that the frequency range of the "sound" while flying is somewhere below the 100Hz (what range approximately?).
Can anyone confirm these graphs are accurate?
Is the ANC on the Bose QC II really better on airplanes?
No, they aren't (IMO) For example turboprop planes produce most noise in the 50-300 Hz range - if you look at the chart, the Sony runs circles around Bose in that range. The Bose peaks at 15dB, but mostly stays around 10dB, whereas the Sony goes over 25dB and doesn't go below 15dB once it goes over the 100Hz threshold.

At higher frequencies the difference is even larger all the way to 10kHz
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:24 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Foplecaroundtheworld
The last time I flew I used my new beats studio 3 headphones and it was amazing. I couldn't hear absolutely any random noises, the kid was crying close to me and I didn't even hear that, so I'm really glad with my purchase.
I've been a user of the Bose QC10, but having just scored the Studio3 for a too good value find it great/better, not sure I like the partial ear coverage, but bluetooth and isolation/cancellation rocks, can't be the value either
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Those Sony WFs look interesting.

depends on how bulky the charging case is, are they bigger than the AirPod cases?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Have the new Bose 700's - Love them! Finally USB C charging, and actually usable for phone calls in airports.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Have the new Bose 700's - Love them! Finally USB C charging, and actually usable for phone calls in airports.
That's my only real gripe with the Sony's - the microphone is garbage.

I got a noise cancelling modmic attachment for mine that works and sounds great, but it is a janky setup and takes up some room in my bag that it shouldn't.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by wco81
Those Sony WFs look interesting.

depends on how bulky the charging case is, are they bigger than the AirPod cases?
yes, the sony case is overall about 2x the size of the AirPods case. First, the actual in ear devices are larger, and the battery and case size of the sony case with battery is larger. It’s not really pocketable like the AirPods case is, sure it can be done but it’s more like an older flip phone in the pocket than the small AirPods case.

If apple can somehow get NC into the form factor of the AirPods AND keep battery life as good, they will have a solid win in this category. I’m still testing the sony’s And do like the in ear ability and NC for things like on the metro, L, in aircraft, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended

I bought some no names for $40 on Amazon.

great battery life, no noise cancellation though.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Yes the box are bigger, but remember they last for 6 hours with NC and 8 hours without, also you have around 24 hours use before you have to charge it, i have airpods as well, BUT Sony a lot better and remember Sony have NC and its great, dont compare to Airpods, Sony works great with Iphone and the Sony app is very good, i got Sony WH1000xm3 as well, but i dont like running around in airport with them, Sony WF 1000xm3 is nice when travel

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:29 am

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

I heard the battery life from actual use is much less than what Sony claims, more like around 5 hours.

That's still good but I guess there are other products which deliver more.

Most of the time I don't think I would have used ANC.

So I decided to save myself a chunk of money and get some no-name, which has better reviews on Amazon. So far the battery life is very impressive.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:12 am

I want NC, i travel a lot, NC its so nice on plane and in train, well i use NC most of the time, mine last close to 6 hours with NC on, lets see in about 2 years from now, my airpods last 2-3 hours after 2 years, not good at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.