Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by exp
Do you have the PI5 or PI7?

I've heard they had basic connectivity problems, like not pairing and stuttering sound?
Neither - it's the PX7. Absolutely no issues with my DAPs, using AptX HD codec. IMO the SQ is the best among the usual bunch of suspects, but the Sony WH1000XM2/3/4 has better ANC (best of class, actually)
yyznomad likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:31 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Ah OK, the small in-ear ones from B&W came out more recently than the over the ear ones.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
but the Sony WH1000XM2/3/4 has better ANC (best of class, actually)
I was under the impression that the Bose ANC was supposed to be better than the Sonys, which are instead supposed to have a better soundstage Is that not the case anymore?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:05 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by exp
On a plane are people expecting much in sound quality?

I've never had any Bose product. Unless it completely cuts cabin noise, anything you listen to will have some amount of cabin noise?
The aftermarket products are significant better than the on-board noise cancelling stuff. Night and day. Between them, my experience is that Sony XM3 is better than B&W PX7, but at the expense of build quality and connectivity reliability and other usability-conveniences.
And to add a wrinkle, for a product whose ANC and SQ is worse than both, but its convenience trump them all.. ill add the Airpods Pro for comfort, size, and connectivity
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by crackjack
I was under the impression that the Bose ANC was supposed to be better than the Sonys, which are instead supposed to have a better soundstage Is that not the case anymore?
I think Sony is the top dog these days for ANC, but the latest Bose models might have taken the top spot back. Anyway, there's probably but a slight difference between the two in terms of ANC, so (if I were to chose one of these) the SQ and comfort would be the deciding factors.

As an aside, on planes I became very much a passive noise blocking guy - I have had two wonderful earphones for a few years now, the Etymotic ER3SE and the Klipsch X12i. Both block in the range of 35+db noise and have audiophile SQ.
crackjack likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:18 am
exp
Suspended

Yeah I used to be mostly passive because I didn't like packing big headphones.

But with AirPods Pro and now all these other true wireless buds adding ANC, you have options.

I thought maybe having one over the year headphones might be a good complement to the APP, just so you don't have those things in your ears for long periods of time. Of course they're limited to about 4-5 hours anyways.

But they're so bulky to carry around. I haven't tried the Bose but they do seem to collapse pretty well so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as my unwieldy Plantronics.

I'm even tempted to try out one of the Anker ones, which go for about $80. They appear to be marginally smaller and lighter than the Plantronics and probably have the multiple mics for ANC which the Plantronics lacks.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by exp
I'm even tempted to try out one of the Anker ones, which go for about $80. They appear to be marginally smaller and lighter than the Plantronics and probably have the multiple mics for ANC which the Plantronics lacks.
I've been happy with my Anker Soundcore Life Q20s. But my only history with ANC is a wired Sony set I picked up cheap from Best Buy. I'd be curious to hear from real users how the Ankers stack up against the Bose and Sony.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by crackjack
QC45s announced: https://www.engadget.com/bose-quietc...133006735.html, to retail at $330.

Seems review units have yet to go out. Shipping to start apparently 23 Sep.

QCs w/ USB-C finally, but appears to still be limited to 5V/1A charging, sadly. Promises better noise isolation & cancellation. No ANC levels, but two ‘modes’; one pass through option.

Will be interesting to see how it does against the XM4s and the 700s
The NC700 are ~$300 right now at Costco, compared to the QC45 at $279, and comes with a 'charging case' (basically a battery bank in the case). But on the flip side, the NC700 reviews were pretty lackluster when they debuted (lots of app issues I guess) and the QCs are more compact.

I figured I'd turn to FT to see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter since August. Sony have a great reputation too, I am pretty seriously considering the XM4s instead of Bose.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
The NC700 are ~$300 right now at Costco, compared to the QC45 at $279, and comes with a 'charging case' (basically a battery bank in the case). But on the flip side, the NC700 reviews were pretty lackluster when they debuted (lots of app issues I guess) and the QCs are more compact.

I figured I'd turn to FT to see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter since August. Sony have a great reputation too, I am pretty seriously considering the XM4s instead of Bose.
Interested in this one too.

My QC35s have been driving me nuts -- have had them for almost 3 years and the past 3-4 months they've started just jumping between my different bluetooth devices without warning and dropping ones I'm actively using. I've always been a big QC fan -- the QC25s and then QC35s have flown around the globe with me multiple times but it's beyond frustrating to be on work calls/Zooms and just have your audio go out.

So now I'm contemplating a new pair with hopes that it'll be better in that department and serve me well once I start traveling again. Unfortunately looks like the NC700 deal is sold out at Costco but the XM4 deal is still on at Amazon and Bose has NC700s for $299 with availability coming in and out
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Anybody have experience with the Bose sleepbuds? I am considering a pair for Mrs. B, who complains about my snoring.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Anybody have experience with the Bose sleepbuds? I am considering a pair for Mrs. B, who complains about my snoring.
There was a thread on those, but I don't think anyone posted any reviews.... Here
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:23 pm
exp
Suspended

I've used the AirPod Pro for the past couple of years.

ANC is good, probably not as good as Bose or Sony but the APPs are small, easy to carry around.

Obviously any flight longer than 4 hours, you have to recharge them.

So I've used some no-name buds with ANC (not as good ANC as APP but still noticeable on flights) which cost about $40 on Amazon and I can alternate these with APP on intercontinental flights.

Now, I will probably get the new BEATS Fit Pro, which touts 6 hours of ANC. They're $200 and they use the H1 chip for great integration with iOS but they're also suppose to be for Android phones as well. They've been getting good reviews.

Probably there will be AirPod Pro 2 next year, possibly the first half of the year. The rumors have been of a shorter stems and maybe some types of fitness tracking.

Depending on when I next fly though, I will probably pick up the BEATS Fit Pro.

I know the big Bose and Sonys get rave reviews for ANC but it's a tradeoff between the best ANC and size/weight that you have to pack. For me, the in-ear buds with ANC work well enough for flights and they're obviously easy to take, better suited for everyday use. In particular, I'm listening to just one bud when I'm driving or out and about in public. Most of the things I listen to on a daily basis are podcasts so one bud at a time is fine for that.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:16 am

I like AIAIAI headphones and also AirPods Pro. Both great in my opinion.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
NC700s with airplane adapter

I bought the NC700. They work fine when paired with my iPhone, but if I connect to an IFE system using an airplane adapter, there's no audio when noise cancellation is on. Turning noise cancellation off restores the audio. Are these supposed to work with an airplane adapter? They don't come with one, and there doesn't seem to be room in the case's cable pocket for one, so I wonder if this is a design issue that they don't wprk with one, or if I've got a defective pair or something.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:35 pm

What do you mean by airplane adapter? You mean those bluetooth dongles that have the 3.5mm plug? They should work, but you have to pair them properly (which many people don't). That said, interestingly there is a thread regarding noise cancelling and an iphone on a plane further down...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.