Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by freecia
You might want to check out an equalizer app to adjust the audio. As far as ANC goes, I haven't tried a lot of models as traditionally, this was a generally an area where you get what you pay for (and trying nice expensive audio gear leads to wanting said gear) but the headphone market has been evolving a good bit over the last few years. IMO, ANC is an area where you still get what you pay for but the non-flagship price performance has improved.

Are you looking for over ear or in ear?

Xiaomi's ANC earphones with 3.5mm plug (not usb-c) gets some decent reviews and ~ $45. Noise cancellation doesn't seem to be as effective as the QC20 but also a lot less money.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comm...phones_review/
https://www.thephonograph.net/xiaomi...phones-review/
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xia...dphones.23073/

The Taotronics TT-BH060 ANC over-ear Bluetooth 5.0 $70 also get decent reviews
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/..._cancellation/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV5T6XWT1dw
These look pretty good. I never got used to using over-ear headphones and I've most been using JVC earphones that also have a hook over my ear because without those hooks I can't get anything to stick in my ear. I wanted find something similar but actually cancels noise decently enough .

I'll check all these recommendations. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:36 pm

I've had my Bose QC's for over 10 years. Still very happy with them.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
Today I had a short flight and watched a movie on my tablet but I could barely hear the music in the background and had to constantly change the volume since the dialogue was ok but the music and effects were stupid loud. Any suggestions for something I can use to isolate the plane noise and won't break my back too much financially?
I use these Monoprice BT headphones when I am on the subway... They work for me. Not the greatest, but for the price, I'm less concerned if they get banged up. Haven't tried them on a plane as they aren't the most compact. When I am on a planes, I'll stick to my QC25s... One thing (that was discussed somewhere in this forum) was how at least one of the BT headsets would power down if there was no signal for a period of time... With the 25s, it doesn't... And all it costs me is possibly a AAA battery (which I carry backups for). But I have to carry a dongle for USB-C connection... Worth it for me as I can just leave the headset on with no input and enjoy the silence.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Today I had a short flight and watched a movie on my tablet but I could barely hear the music in the background and had to constantly change the volume since the dialogue was ok but the music and effects were stupid loud. Any suggestions for something I can use to isolate the plane noise and won't break my back too much financially?
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Cowin E7
+1 on this. These are good quality ANC headphones that can be found for around $50. I picked them up 2 years ago during Amazon Cyber Monday sale for $36. I've since moved on to the QC35 II, which of course are much better but 7x the price.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:03 pm

These look pretty good. I never got used to using over-ear headphones and I've most been using JVC earphones that also have a hook over my ear because without those hooks I can't get anything to stick in my ear. I wanted find something similar but actually cancels noise decently enough .
Do foam earplugs fit ok in your ears? ANC makes a huge difference to me but properly sealed fit provides sound isolation even without ANC. If someone next to you can hear the audio from your earbuds at moderate volume - good for situational awareness, bad for noise isolation.

You might also want to check out some different IEM (in ear monitor) tips if you're going with ANC IEMs and have a hard time keeping ear buds in your ears as bad fit would negate the $$ noise cancellation feature. Tips with wing tips like Bose "StayHear" included with QC20i or wireless sport models also tend to be more secure for me.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/04...ear-buds-tips/

There's also aftermarket add-on ear hooks.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: SAS -TG
Originally Posted by freecia
Do foam earplugs fit ok in your ears? ANC makes a huge difference to me but properly sealed fit provides sound isolation even without ANC. If someone next to you can hear the audio from your earbuds at moderate volume - good for situational awareness, bad for noise isolation.

You might also want to check out some different IEM (in ear monitor) tips if you're going with ANC IEMs and have a hard time keeping ear buds in your ears as bad fit would negate the $$ noise cancellation feature. Tips with wing tips like Bose "StayHear" included with QC20i or wireless sport models also tend to be more secure for me.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/04...ear-buds-tips/

There's also aftermarket add-on ear hooks.

​​​​​​Sony wf-1000xm3 comes with a lot of ear buds, silicone and foam, i tried all of them, the ones was on it fit me perfect, they search YouTube about them

Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: *G
I'm disappointed at how almost none of these headphones can get these basic, critical things right:

(1) simultaneous multi-device connection. need to swap between laptops, phones, maybe even tablets, without manual pair/repair. we're travelers and white collar office workers, aren't we?

(2) good microphone performance. many are straight up horrendous. imagine listening to something on your phone, and the phone rings, and you actually have to take them off because otherwise speech is unintelligible.

so far there's the airpods and jabra which are decent at this, but neither are good for noisy environments
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by deniah
I'm disappointed at how almost none of these headphones can get these basic, critical things right:

(1) simultaneous multi-device connection. need to swap between laptops, phones, maybe even tablets, without manual pair/repair. we're travelers and white collar office workers, aren't we?

(2) good microphone performance. many are straight up horrendous. imagine listening to something on your phone, and the phone rings, and you actually have to take them off because otherwise speech is unintelligible.

so far there's the airpods and jabra which are decent at this, but neither are good for noisy environments
The Bose 700 is supposed to be good for both of those things.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
The Bose 700 is supposed to be good for both of those things.
yes, i wish there were more options that is smaller or can be more portable (foldable) than the bose, or not over-ear headphones at all
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD

So, using the new Sony’s (Sony wf-1000xm3) for a recent flight, couple things stand out.

Compared to my regular go to, the in-ear BOSE QC20 NC units with the cord and the battery in the dongle, the Sony’s do NOT have as strong NC or isolation as the BOSE do. The Bose are just about 30% better than the Sony’s. I think anyone could notice it. So, for me I REALLY want cordless, wireless to remove the clutter but at the same time I know that having really good NC is paramount for my overall in-flight experience.

The other thing I would add is that with the Sony’s the UX with the touch pads and turning ON / OFF the ambient sound and NC on/off, while a GREAT feature - I do like the ability to tap/hold and get ambient access for listening to people and such and being able to one tap, switch to ambient and one tap switch NC on etc. - it’s a linear path so one has to cycle through.

Problem is, the current state in either the hardware or the hardware with the SW on the paired phone is SO POOR and unpredictable it’s nearly useless. I can’t tell if it is the touchpad on the earpiece or the touch to action integration but it’s so unpredictable and there are times when I can’t get it to do ANYTHING.

The only thing I have found is to put them back in the case, wait a minute or so, take them back out put in ear and try again. For me, that’s just too much of a pain to provide any benefit.

The other downside to the Sony’s is the outbound mic is worse than any of the other phone mic options I have. Phone, Speakerphone, AirPods or Bose NC corded headset. The Sony’s sound of the mic for outbound call quality is at the bottom of the list and there are problem other things between the speakerphone down the list before one gets to the sony. So, don’t buy the Sony’s if you plan to do a lot of calls or such. I had people say my voice sounded garbled, or like it was in a can (yeah, we’re back to that type of comment) or it would break up - I think this was BT connection issues even though the device was within 3 feet of the phone.

So, just not for me for these. I can’t wait for Bose to release something or maybe the more form fitting AirPods with NC will actually come out this year or early next.
freecia likes this.

Last edited by nmenaker; Aug 30, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by nmenaker

So, using the new Sonys for a recent flight, couple things stand out.

Compared to my regular go to, the in-ear BOSE NC units with the cord and the battery in the dongle, the Sonys do NOT have as strong NC or isolation as the BOSE do. The Bose are just about 30% better than the Sonys. I think anyone could notice it. So, for me I REALLY want cordless, wireless to remove the clutter but at the same time I know that having really good NC is paramount for my overall in-flight experience.
So, just not for me for these. I cant wait for Bose to release something or maybe the more form fitting AirPods with NC will actually come out this year or early next.
Thanks for the report. I was worried they wouldn't be as good on a flight. Guess I'll keep my QC's for now.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by deniah

For me as a traveller, these are absolutely no issues. On the plane I don't use my phone and I don't switch sources. As a matter of fact, I don't use BT, so #1 is even less of an issue.

While flying or commuting I need first of all NC or isolation and second sound quality - more often than not I go with isolation, the Etymotics ER-3 and/or the Klipsch X12i provide both things top notch, either runs circles around any ANC out there both in terms of isolation (36dB or better!) and sound quality. No batteries, no pairing, no charging, no weight.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For me as a traveller, these are absolutely no issues. On the plane I don't use my phone and I don't switch sources. As a matter of fact, I don't use BT, so #1 is even less of an issue.

While flying or commuting I need first of all NC or isolation and second sound quality - more often than not I go with isolation, the Etymotics ER-3 and/or the Klipsch X12i provide both things top notch, either runs circles around any ANC out there both in terms of isolation (36dB or better!) and sound quality. No batteries, no pairing, no charging, no weight.
I sometimes wonder how the Etymotics compare to my Bose QC20s (or other ANCs) for eliminating noise and for comfort while flying. How do they compare (beyond running circles)?

The QC20s do require charging, but a full charge lasts many hours and you can charge while listening. Great NC and very comfortable.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

I began the wireless transition months ago, and am now in full loving embrace. The wired Etys stay at home hooked up to a dedicated amplifier for listening.

Between background noises (even if attentuated), constantly moving about, interruptions and mental disruptions, I really don't realize that extra 9/10th of oomph in SQ when on the road.

My typical usage pattern when traveling is using the phone for music, calls, and occasional video. And in long-transit, switching to laptop for movies/entertainment. In the office it's using the laptop for VOIP business calls, alternating with private calls on the phone.

While it only takes seconds to plug or unplug, or pair and unpair, having the earphones in and seamlessly working with all these devices is just usability bonus. For battery the current capacity is so good it's no longer an issue.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by richarddd
I sometimes wonder how the Etymotics compare to my Bose QC20s (or other ANCs) for eliminating noise and for comfort while flying. How do they compare (beyond running circles)?

The QC20s do require charging, but a full charge lasts many hours and you can charge while listening. Great NC and very comfortable.
Comfort - as they are tiny, they are as comfortable as a foam earplug is (or isn't) if you use foam tips (e.g. Comply) The silicon ones are similar. They need to be inserted deep into the ear canal, which might feel weird at first.

Isolation/ANC - one thing is that they isolate across the spectrum, while ANC is tuned towards lower frequencies (e.g engine noise, etc) so the screaming kid behind you gets better through ANC than isolation. Pro or con, you won't hear speech and most anything else either around you - definitely not for biking or driving, IMO. The Ety site lists 35-42 dB isolation for the ER-3, which is higher than most foam earplugs have.

SQ - the Ety is well known for it's neutral and very, very good SQ. (I'm talking about the HF and ER ranges) If you're a bass head, you probably won't like them. Also, they don't introduce any artefacts and extra pressure on the eardrums (as ANC inevitably does)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.