Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Old Dec 15, 2020, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
For the glue, yeah, very carefully (all those years as a kid building plastic models paid off, apparently), because they do need to be sealed.

My first set were QC-15s and I carried those until the QC-20 first came out. I loved the -15s but Over the Ear don't work so well for me, they just get too hot and uncomfortable after extended periods, and I also couldn't sleep with them on, even leaning against the fuselage with a pillow was problematic. With the -20s I can actually sleep even when I'm lucky enough to score a business or first class upgrade (not that I sleep that well in Econ or Econ+ to begin with). The airpods I got more for jogging and walking, and I use them pretty heavily (moreso than my Bose which I usually just use for work and flights).

Also, I should add, the glue issue only happened to me on my first set. The newer set I bought after the battery started to go have been problem free and I've used them for ... 2 or 3 years now without issue.
Same here on the model kits. I loved that stuff.

I do sleep a lot with the QC20s (pink noise app). I wonder if all those years put too much stress on them. I picked up some Sleepbuds the other day, but Im not liking them nearly as much as the QC20s for drifting off. I may post a small review on them, even though theyre not targeted for in-transit use.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I still like my NC700s.

I've head some people had issues operating them, but then I found out it's mainly because they didn't read the manual or understand how BT NC headphones work in general.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:21 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Sony releases the XM4, successor to their XM3.

Claims 8 hours of battery life on ANC, 12 hours with ANC off.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...l-airpods-pro/

I skipped the XM3 a couple of years ago in favor of the Apple APP because the XM3s can't be used one pod at a time? Or only the left one could be played by itself?

Maybe Sony addressed this limitation because a lot of people play one side at a time.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:36 am
exp
Suspended

Another AirPods alternative but not an Apple alternative.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...-release-date/

Well at least they offer a couple more colors for the people looking for a more hip look.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought a pair of the Sony XM4 when they were on sale for Prime Day. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The noise cancelling is excellent but the audio quality sounds tinny. My old Bose QC15s sounded much better. And my Grados (which of course aren't noise canceling) sound better still. I've tried adjusting the equalizer in the app but can't get it to sound good.

I bought them mainly for noise canceling on flights (for all the flying I do these days lol) so I'm more interested in the noise canceling than audio quality, but it's disappointing to hear crappy audio in $200+ headphones.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:23 am
exp
Suspended

They're closer to $300 aren't they?

Supposedly you can take a pic of your ears and upload them to Sony and they will customize some EQ or something like that?

I've made it across the TATL with my AirPod Pros and a pair of $40 no-name brands off Amazon. The latter definitely has noticeable effect on aircraft noise with its ANC but I wonder if it's worth paying more for the more premium brands.

I think the over the ear ones will do ANC even better but not willing to carry them on trips.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
They're closer to $300 aren't they?

Supposedly you can take a pic of your ears and upload them to Sony and they will customize some EQ or something like that?

I've made it across the TATL with my AirPod Pros and a pair of $40 no-name brands off Amazon. The latter definitely has noticeable effect on aircraft noise with its ANC but I wonder if it's worth paying more for the more premium brands.

I think the over the ear ones will do ANC even better but not willing to carry them on trips.
Yeah, I got a good deal. They were 249 on Prime Day and someone had given me a $50 gift card.

You don't need to upload a pic of your ears. The headphones' mobile app does the ear calibration thing.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
I had to do that with my first set of QC-20i earbuds but that was after a few years and a LOT of long-haul usage. I then replaced them with a new set when the battery life had degraded to the point that i wasn't able to last a 15 hour flight on a single charge (the QC-20s on a full charge will work for me with ANC on for a full flight from the US to Taiwan or back, which is between 12 and 15 hours each way). My second pair has lasted well and still works great, and I also use them daily for meetings and such for work. I'll probably buy another set just to keep in reserve for when I wear these out, as I haven't seen any indication that they have an upgrade planned (the other earbuds just don't have the battery life I need for those trans-pacific flights).

On my old ones, I just glued them back together with a tiny amount of gorilla glue and never had a problem afterwards.

A note about the AirPod Pro though, they only last a few hours per charge, and it annoys me to not have ANC in-flight, so I keep my AirPod Pros for daily use once I'm wherever it is I'm headed, much more convenient being cordless when out jogging, hiking, shopping, etc. Apple says "up to 4.5 hours listening time" and that is largely accurate for listen only (I have used them on a cross-country) but more realistically I get closer to 3.5-4 hours per charge. They do recharge relatively fast though, so there is that.
the case charges them in 15 min
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LordJohn
that critical. I have a great pair from Sennheiser but they take forever to charge and dont last very long.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by LordJohn
My experience has been that 15 minutes will get them to more or less 50%, but they get slow to charge after that and it can take better than an hour to fully charge them.

but yes, you can put them back int he case for 15 minutes every couple hours and not really worry about it. That said, I have tinnitus from years of working in a noisy datacenter type environment, and I'm very, very sensitive to being in environments now with loud noise or even moderate droning sounds like you get in-flight, and while I love my Airpods Pro and take them everywhere, in-flight I still rely on the Bose QC-20i which will go for a full 15 hour flight on a single charge.

For shorter flights, though, particularly domestics, I do use my airpods a lot.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
My experience has been that 15 minutes will get them to more or less 50%, but they get slow to charge after that and it can take better than an hour to fully charge them.

but yes, you can put them back int he case for 15 minutes every couple hours and not really worry about it. That said, I have tinnitus from years of working in a noisy datacenter type environment, and I'm very, very sensitive to being in environments now with loud noise or even moderate droning sounds like you get in-flight, and while I love my Airpods Pro and take them everywhere, in-flight I still rely on the Bose QC-20i which will go for a full 15 hour flight on a single charge.

For shorter flights, though, particularly domestics, I do use my airpods a lot.
Have you gotten the 'new' ones. They work almost as well as the "mitten" covers of the bose
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I bought a pair of the Sony XM4 when they were on sale for Prime Day. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The noise cancelling is excellent but the audio quality sounds tinny. My old Bose QC15s sounded much better. And my Grados (which of course aren't noise canceling) sound better still. I've tried adjusting the equalizer in the app but can't get it to sound good.

I bought them mainly for noise canceling on flights (for all the flying I do these days lol) so I'm more interested in the noise canceling than audio quality, but it's disappointing to hear crappy audio in $200+ headphones.
On a plane I give scant attention to SQ (sound quality), NC is the main thing. On the ground it's a different story, of course. Solution - two cans. (or in my case some 5 cans and 5-6 earphones - some of which provide way better sound dampening than any of the ANC headphones)
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:21 am
exp
Suspended

These are even pricier than the Sony.

https://www.masterdynamic.com/produc...bGCB7lgZth7rgQ

claims 12 hours per charge, 10 hours ANC.

Sennheiser also have ANC wireless as well.

not to be outdone, b&O putting out $400 ANC wireless in August.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA PlatPro
Anything better yet than the QC20 for In Ear N/C?

Been traveling full time since 2020: 50+ countries visited so far in 18 months! Loving it.

Second pair of QC20s failed yesterday on the flight to Zimbabwe... yikes.
AirPods Pro... were shambled of a substitute. I'd say 30% of the N/C ability.

Before I buy a third pair of QC20s.. is there anything better for In-Ear N/C?
They are a 5 year old product, something has to have come along??
All the review sites show.... nothing.

- Want 12+ hour battery for long haul.
- Smallest size/lowest weight possible.
Traveling the world with just a backpack, so, can't do over the ear (also can't sleep in over the ear when in lie-flat see, I roll too much)

FlyerTalk, what do you know??
What should I buy??
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I my opinion: no. The problem is that the world has moved on to wireless and the manufacturers stopped developing their wired offerings.
The QC 20s still have superior battery life, plus you can just plug them in and charge them while wearing - something you cannot do with any of the wireless options except buying two pairs.

Also, I`m a side sleeper, and no other earbud is as comfortable to wear while lying on my side, but that's just me.
I wish they would update them with USB-C, though.
The high price for me was offset with good warranty/customer service: When my bought-inSwitzerland first pair failed (plastic housing of the earbud came apart at the seam) after about two years I just walked into a Bose store in LA with them and got them replaced free of charge without having to show proof of purchase or anything. So, I`m on my second pair but have only paid for one. Second pair has help up great so far, they're almost four years old now and there's been no issues. I use them daily, three hours while out with the dog.

If you can still find them somewhere, the Linner NC-25 offer equally good ANC and better sound quality than the Boses, especially with the ANC off, at a considerably lower price to boot - but I found them to be less comfortable to wear. Since wear comfort is subjective, give them a try, they sound great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.