Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Anything better yet than the QC20 for In Ear N/C?

Been traveling full time since 2020: 50+ countries visited so far in 18 months! Loving it.

Second pair of QC20s failed yesterday on the flight to Zimbabwe... yikes.
AirPods Pro... were shambled of a substitute. I'd say 30% of the N/C ability.

Before I buy a third pair of QC20s.. is there anything better for In-Ear N/C?
They are a 5 year old product, something has to have come along??
All the review sites show.... nothing.

- Want 12+ hour battery for long haul.
- Smallest size/lowest weight possible.
Traveling the world with just a backpack, so, can't do over the ear (also can't sleep in over the ear when in lie-flat see, I roll too much)

FlyerTalk, what do you know??
What should I buy??
Etymotic HF3. 35-42dB claimed passive noise attenuation. My experience, just as good or better at noise suppression than any active system.
With foam tips, they're as suppressive as you want.

Due to wires, I prefer convenience of Airpods Pro over the utmost isolation of Etymotic, but we have different priorities.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by bhomburg
I my opinion: no. The problem is that the world has moved on to wireless and the manufacturers stopped developing their wired offerings.
I think you nailed it here actually. None of the wireless ones have a long battery life, and the N/C isn't even close.
Seriously, with the AirPod Pros on the plane... I kept checking to see if they were set to NC. The difference was, almost zero. Awful.

Perhaps a 3rd pair of QC20s in my future, can't find anyone selling those Linner 25s (I refuse to support Amazon Corp, even though there are some there)
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by deniah
Etymotic HF3. 35-42dB claimed passive noise attenuation. My experience, just as good or better at noise suppression than any active system.
With foam tips, they're as suppressive as you want.

Due to wires, I prefer convenience of Airpods Pro over the utmost isolation of Etymotic, but we have different priorities.
Interesting. In your experience did they cut airplane noise when trying to sleep?
Difference frequencies seem to cut through passive earphones more than others.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Anything better yet than the QC20 for In Ear N/C?
Second pair of QC20s failed yesterday on the flight to Zimbabwe... yikes.
AirPods Pro... were shambled of a substitute. I'd say 30% of the N/C ability.

FlyerTalk, what do you know??
What should I buy??
Wow, I have had both QC20 for many years and the AirPods Pro since they came out. I would put the ANC of the APP at about 90% of the strength and quality of the QC20, but the QC20 in ear noise elimination does add some capability, but overall 30% sounds really low.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Wow, I have had both QC20 for many years and the AirPods Pro since they came out. I would put the ANC of the APP at about 90% of the strength and quality of the QC20, but the QC20 in ear noise elimination does add some capability, but overall 30% sounds really low.
Same here. The ANC of the APP is way better than 30% of the QC20. On an airplane, I notice a very large difference when I take out the APP.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:30 pm

Interesting. I have dropped my APP a bunch over the last year or two. So, maybe they are broken by now?
I have been extremely underwhelmed by them in general though, since new.
On the plane, the difference between APP and QC20s, for me, was night and day.
Again, I was so surprised, I wondered if APPs were set to NC or even 'on'. But, they were, fully.

I guess all human ears are tuned to different things? It's so weird.

(Also, the battery life is terrible on APPs, 3.5 hours? That's 25% of the way from DOH-SFO... not helpful)

Sounds like QC20s are the way to go still.
Surprising. Keep hoping Bose would update with new tech, but, I guess they don't have to....
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:19 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Bose has their own wireless buds with ANC don't they?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:52 am

Interesting. In your experience did they cut airplane noise when trying to sleep?
Difference frequencies seem to cut through passive earphones more than others.
yes. it's like sticking your head underwater. bank vault silence
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by exp
Bose has their own wireless buds with ANC don't they?
Yeah, called QC Earbuds. 6 hour battery life... meh
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/..._earbuds_black
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by deniah
yes. it's like sticking your head underwater. bank vault silence
Wow, I like that!
And no batteries. Big bonus.

Might get a pair of these just to try. Price is very right.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I found the etymotics uncomfortable to wear for longer stretches of time, like on flights. They do work very well, though.
I have a pair of Etymotic earplugs for music events that work great (no more temporary deafness and tinnitus from concerts!), but they need to come out again much sooner than the duration of a typical intercontinental flight.
If you find the Etymotics working well for you but tend to get annoying on a long flight, the company also offers custom fit earpieces that are molded specifically after your ears.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:23 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Has anyone tried the lower-priced over-ear ANC headphones like the Ankers?

I would pay for the Sony or the Bose but I worry about comfort over long flights. I have a pair of Plantronics which have good ANC but those became uncomfortable after a couple of hours so I stopped packing them.

Anker headphones are under $100 and have good reviews. Also multiple ANC modes and transparency modes.

So for the price, maybe a good way to ty over-ear headphones again.

most of the over-years have cups which are a bit over 2 inches long. My lobes extend well beyond 2 inches so maybe they will always pinch down on the lower lobes.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Over-the-ear cans (no matter the brand) all turn uncomfortable when worn for long periods of time. Those things are all heavy and put pressure on your ears, some more, some less.
And sleeping with them on is only possible if you sleep on your back (or are able to sleep sitting up in Economy...) and don't move around much.
I have tried multiple brands of over-the-ear headphones - all given out by airlines - and they all have the same limitations.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:41 am

My go to have always been the qc20, but got the airpod pro in the edu deal. The APP does noise cancel , but it's significantly less than bose qc20 on a plane (about 70-80%) . As everyone else, I like the wireless convenience but the technology isn't there yet and compromises makes me go back to the qc20. I do wish bosed updated their wired lineup but I don't think they will.

"Nothing" has a new set of ANC wireless headsets thats suppose to compete with APP for $99, I think it's going to be on par with the new beats ANC set not APP.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I found the etymotics uncomfortable to wear for longer stretches of time, like on flights. They do work very well, though.
I have a pair of Etymotic earplugs for music events that work great (no more temporary deafness and tinnitus from concerts!), but they need to come out again much sooner than the duration of a typical intercontinental flight.
If you find the Etymotics working well for you but tend to get annoying on a long flight, the company also offers custom fit earpieces that are molded specifically after your ears.
generally agreed.

passive requires a good seal to be effective (so does active NC, FWIW). good seals require maximum contact between ears and headphones. for some people, very understandably, that can be uncomfortable.

comfort and sealing effectiveness is a personal thing though. people need to try what works for them. luckily for me, most of etymotic products and their different tips are comfortable for long wear -- which cant be said of all sennheiser or ultimate ears or etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.