Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And yet my iPad (an Apple device) charged at full speed from all ports. Maybe it prioritized the Apple ports if needed?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
And yet my iPad (an Apple device) charged at full speed from all ports. Maybe it prioritized the Apple ports if needed?
Well then, I guess the Monoprice must just be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that when you overload it, it shuts down until it cools. I have two iPads, my iPhone, and the Asus travel router plugged in and it keeps cutting power to everything for a few seconds, then turning back on. I unplugged the travel router and it's fine.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Except that when you overload it, it shuts down until it cools. I have two iPads, my iPhone, and the Asus travel router plugged in and it keeps cutting power to everything for a few seconds, then turning back on. I unplugged the travel router and it's fine.
That is why I keep at my semi-permanent home/office the four 2.4A each heavy duty chargers. There is a built in fan.
They have a detachable power cord version now which uses figure 8 type cord at a higher price point.
As mine are stay at home/office I have US/Cdn, HK/UK and PRC versions at each location with a batch pf USB cables.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...charger doctor never shows above about 1.8A when charging my iPad, though it does with the Apple charger.
This review discusses the way that the measuring device itself may interact with the charger and the device being charged. It's written about a different brand, but I expect the same principles would apply to Charger Doctor:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RNKDYQH...28013&store=hi
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
...charger doctor never shows above about 1.8A when charging my iPad, though it does with the Apple charger.
This review discusses the way that the measuring device itself may interact with the charger and the device being charged. It's written about a different brand, but I expect the same principles would apply to Charger Doctor:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RNKDYQH...28013&store=hi
Heisenberg
Old May 6, 2014, 12:26 pm

I just ordered this five port Photive 25W/5A charger off Amazon for $13 (Prime eligible). I don't know if it's any good, but it looks OK...
Old May 6, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I bought two 2-port chargers on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and they both burned out already.

http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Charg.../dp/B00CZJ7QI8

and

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Du.../dp/B00B8L36A6

I guess I'm sticking with the Skiva quadfire for now.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
There's a relevant and interesting Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hone-92-faster
Old May 7, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by chx1975
There's a relevant and interesting Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hone-92-faster
This device would be useful to me in that it would be interesting to see the actual output of my chargers when I use them. But it's not clear to me how it can charge my phone (or other device) any faster. For Apple products, it's well known that there has to be compatible curcuitry to get fastest charging speed. But the Skiva and the Monoprice chargers already have Apple compatible ports built in.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by thegasguru
This device would be useful to me in that it would be interesting to see the actual output of my chargers when I use them. But it's not clear to me how it can charge my phone (or other device) any faster. For Apple products, it's well known that there has to be compatible curcuitry to get fastest charging speed. But the Skiva and the Monoprice chargers already have Apple compatible ports built in.
I wondered that at first glance too, but the tables they have exclude situations where there is no real benefit e.g. iPhone plugged into an Apple iPad charger. From what i could gather, this thing does just what the Skiva/Monoprice/Anker chargers do to work with both Apple AND Android devices at high current.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, gpp Gold
Received the Anker. Has anyone verified that it puts out 2.4A per port? My charger doctor never shows above about 1.8A when charging my iPad, though it does with the Apple charger.
Same here with an iPad Air.
Wondering if anyone has compared the Air's 0 to 100% charging time with the 40W Anker vs original Apple one.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect the iPad realizes it's not an Official Apple Charger and doesn't try to pull the full 2.1A...though I could swear I remember seeing 2.0A from the Anker once.

In any case, it's fine. I don't really care.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, gpp Gold
I suspect the iPad realizes it's not an Official Apple Charger and doesn't try to pull the full 2.1A...though I could swear I remember seeing 2.0A from the Anker once.

In any case, it's fine. I don't really care.
They claim their charger to give every Apple/Android device full power up to 2.4A, so it should take the same time to charge compared to the original Apple charger.
I just want to make sure I haven't got a faulty unit!

Last edited by Enrico84; May 14, 2014 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazon has the Anker 40W charger for $23.39 this week for Father's Day. Use the promo code LOVEDAD1 at checkout.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/1223...ndroid-devices

(it's only about a $2 savings from the usual price but still...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.