Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:24 pm

Anyone have a good non-grounded travel oriented powerstrip to recommend? Small is good but needs some room for fat chargers. I just want to carry 1 plug converter, plug the power strip into the converter, and plug my various chargers and other devices into the power strip. Not all chargers are USB (eg my camera battery).

I like the Bolse but that might be overkill for me.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
Mine just arrived over the weekend and swapped out my old Angker 40W for this. According to packaging, the unit has sensor that automatically detects when battery full charged, on a per channel basis.

From what I can gather, seems to work just fine. Every night we usually plug in a variety of iPads, iPhones and Androids. First night, had 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and 2 Androids and woke all fully charged. Second night the same, time will now tell how long it lasts.

The power cord is long, thick and heavy....would not recommend for air travel as slightly on the bulky side. The smaller monoprice or skiva or even angker better for travel.

Thanks ScottC for the recommendation.
Is it just the cord which makes it less suitable for air travel?

The power cord looks like a standard figure 8 C7. You could replace it with a light or shorter one? This eBay seller has them for different plugs or an interchangeable plug set.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...kw=c7&_sacat=0
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Is it just the cord which makes it less suitable for air travel?

The power cord looks like a standard figure 8 C7. You could replace it with a light or shorter one?
Sorry for the confusion. The size, not the cord, makes it less suitable for travel. Two monoprice units are more compact than just one of these. So for someone like myself with carry-on only, that makes a difference.

If you check in bags and have many devices [more than 3 or 4], then this is perfect. If I was traveling with my wife, probably take this one

And yes, I swapped out the OEM cord with a much smaller retractable one!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
The Anker isn't the latest and greatest anymore. Which means the occasional discount: Anker 40W on sale. Use code 20DF7105 to knock it down to $19.99.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The Anker isn't the latest and greatest anymore. Which means the occasional discount: Anker 40W on sale. Use code 20DF7105 to knock it down to $19.99.
It's still pretty great though. I have three. Only one sits idle for travel. One at home and one at work takes care of many of my charging needs.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:51 am

I'm now having problems with my Anker 40W. 2 ports are now out of commission. I'm wondering if I should just buy a new one rather than dealing with CS.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
... 2 ports are now out of commission..
Did you receive the email from Anker Customer Service explaining the cause of this problem and offering an exchange?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Buster
I'm now having problems with my Anker 40W. 2 ports are now out of commission. I'm wondering if I should just buy a new one rather than dealing with CS.
IME Anker CS is great:

I received a replacement for a defective unit before I even finshed pack it to be sent back on their dime.

The other time they took back a second unit order in error due to internet connection and.or Amazon, again no charge.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I just picked up one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I am now using as both my domestic USB charger (2 ports) and my international adapter. Works in both Germany and Switzerland which is here the bulk of my trips are. Can plug my phone and tablet into the USB and the laptop into the outlet. Lightweight. Guess we'll see how durable it is during my 2 week trip to DE and CH next month.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazon has a Sabrent 50W/5 port charger for $15.99 with coupon code.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7252172-sabr...usb-charger-16
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
IME Anker CS is great:

I received a replacement for a defective unit before I even finshed pack it to be sent back on their dime.

The other time they took back a second unit order in error due to internet connection and.or Amazon, again no charge.
I had a port die on one of their 5-port 40W chargers 2 days ago.

I'd received an email from Anker a couple of weeks ago letting me know they've been experiencing occasional failures because the ports are fused and not current-limited. They told me to contact them if I had any issues; they'd replace the unit with the latest model, which now uses current-limted (3A) ports. It also has a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that resets after a temporary short.

I sent them an email describing the problem, and received a response the next day stating that a new unit was on its way and to 'recycle' the old one.

Outstanding customer service!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I had a port die on one of their 5-port 40W chargers 2 days ago.

I'd received an email from Anker a couple of weeks ago letting me know they've been experiencing occasional failures because the ports are fused and not current-limited. They told me to contact them if I had any issues; they'd replace the unit with the latest model, which now uses current-limted (3A) ports. It also has a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that resets after a temporary short.

I sent them an email describing the problem, and received a response the next day stating that a new unit was on its way and to 'recycle' the old one.

Outstanding customer service!
Ooo, I'll have to try that. I think I remembered that one of the ports on my 40W Anker has been dead for a while.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Ooo, I'll have to try that. I think I remembered that one of the ports on my 40W Anker has been dead for a while.
I've had the 4-port 36W charger for almost three months, and one of the ports died two days ago. Sent an e-mail yesterday, and I got a response today (after receiving an auto-responder saying the whole company had been on a training exercise for the past 12 days--that must've been fun) asking for the serial number. They will be sending a replacement as soon as I do.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:32 pm

They are very responsive and helpful. They have replaced 2 for me, very promptly and I am impressed.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:44 am

Currently using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EKDVGKQ and it works pretty well for my needs.

Coupled with a dirt cheap EU 2 pin power lead and it cuts down on loads of adapters etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.