Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:43 am

EasyAcc 4port charger?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HQY...f=pd_aw_sims_8

It has a folding pronge which is handy for travel - no extra cord to pack.
Not as mighty as the anker but seems enough.

Any 1st hand experience with this charger?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HQY...f=pd_aw_sims_8

It has a folding pronge which is handy for travel - no extra cord to pack.
Not as mighty as the anker but seems enough.

Any 1st hand experience with this charger?
Funny you'd bring that up - I ordered one on Sunday and will report back soon.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sama
Have you noticed the difference on charging time with OEM and "china" USB cables?
I bought pile of cables from Alibaba and many of those won´t charge the tablet (Galaxy Tab 3) properly. Charger is the same OEM.
I have noticed that both the charger and the cable affect the speed of charging. When I first ran into the problem with my S4, I tested each USB power adapter and cable I own to measure how much current was delivered to the device. Based on that experience, I retired my thin retractable USB cable (which passed only 300mA or so) and try to use OEM and/or high-quality charges and cables whenever possible.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Anker just stopped working today.
I have filed a cs report and will report back on the results.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by ScottC
Funny you'd bring that up - I ordered one on Sunday and will report back soon.
Costs about the same as the Monoprice, and has about the same total charging output at the Monoprice. That is, if you are plugged into all 4 ports on both of these chargers, then any single port is putting out about 1A. But...

EasyACC only has 2 ports that can put out 2.1A...the other two ports put out 1.3 and 1.0A

The Monoprice puts out 2.1A from any port you plug into, until you start reaching the 4.2A total output ceiling. It's not a big deal, since the EasyACC is well labelled, but still.

Also, I like the way the prongs are near the edge of the charger on the Monoprice. Every now and then, I'll be in a hotel that has outlets at the base of the lamps on the end tables...and there is very little room between the outlet and the lamp. I can always get the Monoprice to fit, but I can't always get some of my other chargers to fit in there. Plus, the Monoprice is nice and rectangular, making it easy to pack.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:58 pm

anker 40w plug

Does the anker 40w use a standatd 8 shape plug identical in size to that of a laptop psu?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yes, it's using the IEC C7/C8 standard.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Bolse NewPower 40W/8A 5-port charger for $20 using coupon code BJ449QNH. Very similar to the Anker 40W charger.

http://www.amazon.com/NewPower-Deskt...4295916&sr=1-2 (also works on the white version)
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
Yes, it's using the IEC C7/C8 standard.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:47 am

Hi folks, a quick status check: Is mono price still the best one? I am about to order one. I've been observing my Skiva only seems to offer a full charge on one port for my iPad and not on the other apple designated port. I'd like a charger which can do simultaneous charging for my iPad and iPhone at the same time. Skiva is advertised to do it, but like I said, I'm not seeing full power on both apple ports. Maybe my unit is defective

My needs: a) compact b) Must have foldable prong (must NOT need a cord) c) Simul. charging of iPad @ full speed, iPhone 5s @ full speed, Bose Qc20i usb headset
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by arjunrc
Hi folks, a quick status check: Is mono price still the best one? I am about to order one.
My needs: a) compact b) Must have foldable prong (must NOT need a cord) c) Simul. charging of iPad @ full speed, iPhone 5s @ full speed, Bose Qc20i usb headset
This is still a winner and meets your requirements. There are others out there, some provide faster charge but not as compact and cost slightly more[eg Anker, which is what I have at home and office].

For traveling, I personally prefer the monoprice model. YMMV
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
This is still a winner and meets your requirements. There are others out there, some provide faster charge but not as compact and cost slightly more[eg Anker, which is what I have at home and office].

Thanks dtsm!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.

+1 ^
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sama
Have you noticed the difference on charging time with OEM and "china" USB cables?
I bought pile of cables from Alibaba and many of those won´t charge the tablet (Galaxy Tab 3) properly. Charger is the same OEM.

What cables you are using, only OEM?
monoprice.com
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Monoprice is great.
Cables make a big difference, you don't want it to be the weakest link.

I only use OEM or in my multiple home and office set up I have Kopi, Monoprice and a high quality unbranded braided with ferrite head bought at Golden Centre, SSP, HK.

Lower quality cable would not carry the full load.

Some devices need a proprietary OEM cable to carry the load or activate quick/full charge mode on the device.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:21 pm

The original Anker 25v 5amp on sale for $14.99 - free shipping.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/412949

Last edited by dtsm; Jul 15, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.